“Ok, but I'd hesitate on returning”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I really debated 2 or 3 stars for this hotel. Perhaps a 2.5/2.7 would be appropriate.

From the exterior it appears to be a newer hotel. Yet, in the room, it felt beat up and slightly unkept. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent hotel for the money and location...excuse me, there was just a knock at the door...yes, it was housekeeping voilating the Do Not Disturb sign...ok back to my review (which just instantly got worse).

At check-in (I arrived around 6pm) I was advised that there was no choice in room as they had all been pre-assigned.

I found the room to be newer, but a lot of the walls showed signs of wear--scuffs and gouges. The purported HDTV only offered standard definition cable and satellite channels and some over the air HD signals that constantly cut out.

The bathroom was, well, odd. You had to turn a little corner to access a shower that had no shower curtains. The coffee maker was directly next to the toilet--I find that both odd and disgusting.

The room's clock did not work, and when I arrived one of the bedside lamps was not plugged in.

Overall, I slept decent. Would I return? Probably not, I'd probably go to the Hampton Inn immediately next door.

The hotel was directly across I-85 from the Tiger Town Shopping Center which featured a Target, Best Buy, and Chick-Fil-A. So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear IntegrityTravel,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our location.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on housekeeping, room amenities and the bathroom. We will look into this. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and have always had a great stay. The hotel is newer and the rooms are very clean and spacious. The staff is very nice and make you feel welcome. The breakfast in the morning is always good and included in the price which is also great!! The hotel is very close the Auburn University - about a 10-15 minute drive. I'd recommend the hotel to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Auburn06, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We value your opinion and appreciate your feedback. The hotel is very pleased to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one! Our goal is to ensure all guests experience 100% total satisfaction at the Holiday Inn Express Opelika. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope you will visit us again on your next trip to the area!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were in Auburn for the State Tennis tournament. We were staying with our group as well as many others. The lobby gave us a great first impressed with a sleek and modern decor. The hotel is clean, fresh and the Suite room was exceptionally roomy for our family of 5. The staff was kind and treated us with respect. When we had a need they were quick to respond. We have been to Disney and stayed in their Deluxe resorts. This room was just as big, if not a tad bigger than those rooms and just as nice. We will definitely return to this hotel on our future trips. The beds and bedding were the most comfortable I have slept on in a good while. Soft and Firm pillows marked in embroidery on the pillow cases.

Room Tip: If you have a family of five the suite is a must.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

What a nice place to stay. Very, very clean - great, friendly staff - wonderful location close to both Auburn and historic Opelika. I am absolutely thrilled with this Holiday Inn Express. They will have my business every time I come this way!

Suite is very big, beds comfy, very clean, huge bathroom - after so many disappointing stays in the past few months, this place has been a refreshing change. Love it

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012

room was great......nice and clean.....beds were very comfortable....

Pool was dirty....lots of dead bugs in it...

Breakfast was good, but could have used some fruit....

Very nice overall stay....

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was there on a business trip and was pleasantly surprised when I got there, because the hotel offered complimentary Chick-Fil-A and an array of beverages. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean and inviting. I will use this hotel each time I go back to Opelika.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Christina A
hiopelika, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Good Morning Christina A,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Opelika Alabama. It is our goal to make your stay in Opelika as comfortable as possible. The staff takes pride in knowing that our guests are well taken care of each time they visit. We hope to see you soon and thank you again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I wanted to give this place a 5 but as HI Express goes it felt like they were starting to let things slip. Examples - some of the carpets in the halls and elevators needed either a good cleaning or replacing. The Wi-fi was completely out on the second day of our stay and the front desk attendant said at that time nothing was being done to remedy the situation. One of our towels had a hole as big as a silver dollar in it. I would have been embarassed to give a guest a towel that looked like that. At breakfast on both days we were there, they had no cinnamon rolls. Imagine, the breakfast item that is your trademark and that is even advertised on your billboard is not available! Also the pancake machine was out of order. On our floor the vending machine was out of order and did not take dollar bills. Maybe it was just an unlucky weekend but it just felt that they were getting sloppy. I've been to many other HI Express properties and was disappointed by this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear rwdragon86,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27734291

Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 17 in Opelika
Best Western Auburn/Opelika Inn
Candlewood Suites Auburn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn? Share your experiences!