“Great Value & Clean Clean”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stopped for one night. Hotel was very clean. Staff was friendly and accomidating. A great value. Everything you could imagine within one mile. Great overall. Will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Had two rooms here for a visit along the golf trail. Lake and Links Courses 15 minutes away. One king suite and one regular king. Both excellent. Suite was huge for the price ($98 with senior discount) w/small fridge and microwave. Pullout sofa bed and two good TVs would be fine for family with one or two kids. Large bath with jetted tub and separate roomy shower.

Complimentary breakfast was very good. Everything fresh and hot.

Freindly staff, too.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We flew into Atlanta and were driving towards New Orleans. We wanted to stay somewhere within a couple of hrs of Atlanta as we knew we'd be tired after our light, this hotel was good value when booked via Hotels.com.

My only caveat is that sat nav has a bit of a problem finding this one, so be sure you know where you're going when you come off the I85!

The hotel was great; helpful staff, really well decorated and a fab shower which was amazing after all the travelling! The breakfast was fine and did the job.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This hotel looked brand new. Every fixture was in pristine condition, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the entire property was in great shape. I stay in lots of hotels for work, and this might be the nicest Holiday Inn Express I've ever seen. Plus the price was excellent. Great overall.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This place is very clean and nice. Good value. Breakfast was ok but they are either ok or bad for me at places like this. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Had to check in and immediately leave after dropping our luggage in the room, which seemed OK on first glance -- other than being stiffling hot because the air had been turned completely off (we are talking Alabama in July). On the way to the room, we had noticed the dirty and beat-up elevator and hallway, but we were in a hurry and after all, the lobby looked so nice and this is a relatively new hotel. Long story short -- got back late and started settling in, only to discover that our floors were dirty, as was the bathroom shower enclosure . This wasn't just missed-something-in the-corners. It simply could not have been vacuumed or the bathroom mopped. As I looked closer, I realized that even the doors needed wiping down.

Along with general hadn't-been-vacuumed-type stuff on the floor, was an orange laundry tag, a candy, and a prescription pill. There was brown splatter was on the back shower wall that I chose not to examine too closely so I am not sure what that was.

So here is the thing: If you get on the elevator in this place and it looks 20 years old and dirty (in this relatively new hotel), and you arrive on the third floor and the carpet is unswept and stained, the doors dirty and scratched, the trash can dented -- check your room carefully. Don't assume your room will match the shiny lobby or the glowing travelocity reviews. Likewise, don't assume that a neatly made bed, empty waste cans and fresh rolls of tissue mean your room is actually clean. Ours wasn't and I am betting we weren't alone.

As I said, we got back late. We made the best of it for the night thinking we'd eat some food downstairs if the buffet looked clean, and check out early the next morning.

Which brings us to breakfast. Yes, it was clean in that area. There was food, some of it hot. The lady working there was very nice and working hard. It is not a "dealbreaker" to me that the omelet and bacon in the free breakfast picture weren't actually part of the "buffet," or that the pancake machine was broken or that they were "out of waffles" at 7 a.m. on a Saturday. Similarly, it is not be a "dealbreaker" to me that there was no phone book, ink pen, pad or comment card in my room when I needed them that morning before we went down to eat. What I cannot overlook is "dirty." Things happen. I do not expect perfection at a Holiday Inn Express. That said, whether I stay at a 2-star or a 5-star, filth IS a dealbreaker.

As we made our exit, my husband reported our housekeeping problems to the desk clerk who said she would make note of them and relay our concerns. Like my room, she too did not have a comment card. She did (politely) direct me to address my opinions and concerns to this website, and even gave me a card, printed with information on how to do so. Reporting what happened on this site might be helpful to future, potential visitors (and I hope it is), but it is certainly an unsatisfying resolution for this dissatisfied visitor.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Vicki96
hiopelika, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Dear Vicki96,

My name is Amanda Holloway and I am the General Manager for this property. I would like to thank you for offering your feedback about your stay in July 2011. I deeply regret you had such a poor experience during your stay with us and I would like to offer my most sincere apology for the inconveniences that you experienced. We strive each and every day to make sure our guests are taken care of, which includes coming home to a clean room and waking up to a full Hot Breakfast. I would like to reassure you that I will take every measure to ensure this does not happen again, and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you have come to expect from all of us here at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Opelika Alabama. If I can be of any service to you please do not hesitate to contact me at 334-749-5250.

Thank you again for your feedback and your business!

Amanda Holloway

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were visiting the Auburn Aquatics Center and needed to find a place to stay. We've never been to Auburn before and weren't sure where to stay. We picked the right place with this hotel. We had two rooms. A king suite and queen suite. They were both great, spacious and comfortable. Both included a small living area with kitchenette and a sleeping area. The bathroom in the king suite was much larger than expected.
Breakfast was fine. It included coffee, tea, juices, milk, cereal, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy, and more.
The rooms were quiet. We could not hear people in the hall or in the rooms beside us. One of our rooms was near the elevator and we never heard the elevator at night.
The hotel is in a great location. There are many stores and restaurants nearby.
Our drive to the Auquatics Center took only 12 minutes. So it's a quick drive to the college.

• Stayed: April 2011