“Pleasant and secluded but still lacking a few things”
Review of Capps Cove

Capps Cove
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oneonta
Capps Cove
Ranked #1 of 3 Oneonta B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Went for a weekend away and to see the covered bridges. The grounds were beautiful in the late fall and well kept. Overall B&B is very small,we went hoping to find a site for our future wedding but any parties over 30 will not be easily accomodated anywhere there. It took us overall 20 minutes to leisurely walk around the entire grounds. Our cabin was very clean and decorated perfectly. The bed was very cozy and the quilts were perfect for the chilly night. We enjoyed a fire in the fireplace as well. The breakfast basket was stocked with prepackaged pastries, muffins, and just add water grits and oatmeal.

The cons of the visit were not overwhelmingly bad, but they were there. We arrived early to explore the trail around the lake we were told about only to find a 20 ft trail next to a creek. If the lake and trail around it existed there was no map to show where it was. The robes offered were made for smaller people, my boyfriend could not fit his broad shoulders in it. Finally, the website offers an assortment of soft drinks and teas as well as snacks. It is true they are all there but it was very frugally done. There was 1 coke, 1 sprite, 1 bottled water, 1 tea bag and one or two things of prepacked crakcers. We had to venture 12 miles to the nearest grocery store for drinks. The wood was full of moisture and very hard to burn, but it did catch eventually. The bathroom is huge with so much potential for a romantic claw foot tub and separate shower with even room for a vanity, but instead you have a standard tub/shower combo (with no shampoo provided so BRING YOUR OWN) sink and toilet with A LOT of unused floor space.

Overall we had a very nice, short stay but I would not stay more than one night unless I had something to do during the day or I would go stir crazy. Also, dont expect to be able to go find anyone if there is a problem we were very much alone, which was nice but only because something didnt come up. Im not really sure if it is worth the $140/night price tag, especially for not having any type of attractions near by, but it was a one time staycation and was good for what we wanted.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah R

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My son and I went to Blount County to see three covered bridges they have there. What a treat and Blount county Alabama is a rural paradise...beautiful rolling green pastures and livestock. This IS getting away from it all. We spent two nights in the Little House on the Pairie Cabin at Capps Cove just outside of Oneonta Alabama. They no longer serve a hot breakfast but you are given bacon to microwave, all sorts of pastries and fresh baked banana bread, as well as fresh fruit and orange juice and milk. Coffee is provided and even soft drinks. We had a REAL working fireplace and they laid the fire for us the first night. Very cozy. The second bedroom is up in the loft so it is better for a younger person to climb up the ladder to get there. The downstairs has a queen size bed and is very comfortable. We had a swing on the front porch and a grill in the back on the patio and they provide a light a bag so we had steaks one night. It is super secluded and quiet so we slept until 9:30 a.m.!! The place has a chapel where people get married and then they have the honeymoon cabin for the newly weds.It is all very rustic and great. No sounds of traffic or sirens. There is a large stream that runs through the property and a picnic table by the stream. You are close enough to Springville or Oneonta to go to town if you want to. This beats staying in a chain motel any day. The place and darling and decorated very cute. We had two rocking chairs in front of the fire and sat and read our books by the fire. I highly recommend this place...they have a small tv but we never turned it on....it would spoil the peace and quiet....also the cell phones do NOT work there...inside or out....you have to drive about five minutes out to get them to work and we loved it. Life like it used to be.

Room Tip: House on the Prairie is great for a family and will sleep four. A queen and a double bed
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jeannie b
Reviewed September 6, 2007

My daughter and my visit to Capp's Cove was a breath of fresh air. It is cozy, peaceful, quiet, and everything else you would want in a B&B. Cason & Sybil are wonderful hosts and we would return again and again if we could. We made some wonderful mother-daughter memories there. This place is highly recommend from the two of us.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank PreachersWife48
Reviewed February 7, 2007

I'm sure it would be a lovely place to stay, but be careful if you have a gift certificate. I had been given a gift certificate to stay at the B&B last year. I filed it and lost track of it until I pulled out my paperwork to file my taxes. The certificate had not expired yet, as it still had another month left on it, however I was not going to be able to go before the time expired. So I called the Capps up to explain my situation. They were not flexible! They only offered a 4 day extension. I found it hard to believe that a B&B would be so steadfast on the expiration date of a gift certificate. Their reluctance to extend my certificate a couple of months, to a date when I would be able to come for a visit, really persuades me to stay with more hospitable people.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Cobaltbluebottle
Reviewed October 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Capps Cove last November as part of a special birthday celebration for him. Cason and Sybil were very helpful--they arranged for a special cake to be in our room when we arrived. We stayed in the Gentleman's Room in the main house, and it was very quiet and comfortable. There are two rooms in the main house, and two private cabins on the property.

Cason is quite the antique collector, and the house is filled with some charming pieces. Additionally, there is a wedding chapel on the grounds, and a large red barn that is used for wedding receptions. Set among lovely trees in the northern Alabama mountains , this is a beautiful place for a wedding and honeymoon.

Breakfast is enormous, and served family style around a large dining table. We had country ham, eggs, grits, potato casserole, biscuits, and more! Cason, Sybil, and Cindy are wonderful hosts--very congenial and pleasant. We enjoyed our stay at Capps Cove enormously!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank cassiedc
Reviewed November 15, 2004

First experience with bed and breakfast. Stayed in "Little House on the Prairie" cabin. Much attention paid to detail and making stay comfortable. Super clean. Comfortable and private. Breakfast wonderful and the owners hospitable. Didn't get to check out the property due to personal time constraints. Lot to offer for those who have time. Check it out. Well worth the time.

5  Thank Gale S

Been to Capps Cove? Share your experiences!