“Not your average Wintzell's”
Review of Wintzell's Oyster House - CLOSED

Wintzell's Oyster House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
BirminghamAL
“Not your average Wintzell's”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We drove the hour to get here because of a Groupon and because we've loved the one's in Montgomery and Mobile. We arrived just after noon on a Sunday to an almost empty restaurant. It is a rustic restaurant with the concrete floors and what could have been a lovely view of the river had they bothered to clean the windows. They were so dirty that you would think they were frosted. At least it was fun reading the cute sayings they have all over their walls.

The nicest part of this restaurant was the waitress who was very attentive. However, the service was extremely slow. I had the baked seafood platter and it was mediocre at best. All of the seafood had been cooked on the platter the same length of time. The fish was done properly but the oysters were so dry that they had little taste and had shrunk so much from the overcooking that you could hardly see them. My wife's fried shrimp was average at best.

The worst part was when I stepped into the restroom after the meal. It was AWFUL!!! It smelled as if it had not been cleaned for weeks and I almost lost my meal. The "sanitizer" in the fixture was empty and stained from a lack of cleaning. I went back before we left to see if it might be something temporary but it wasn't. This coupled with the constant hammering on a piece of equipment in the bar that was not open made dining "not fun."

We have another coupon but I'm not sure if we will use it.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank LoveTravelingOn

“Plummeting quality.”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Wintzel's Northport went from okay to poor in a short span of time.

I don't know anyone who recommends Wintzels anymore.

After several mediocre trips, being served rotting crawfish was the last straw.

I will not be going back under my own free will.

• Visited April 2013
Gallion, Alabama
“Avoid this place”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Being a liker of Wintizell's down in Mobile, I decided to give the Northport location a try. I entered about 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon t an almost completely empty facility. It took almost 10 minutes for a server to come to the table with the menu. When I asked about beer avaibility, she said the list was in the menu which it was not so she had to go find one - another five minutes. Ordered a beer from a list short enough that it should be memorized by the servers and started looking at the menu. Beer came promptly and I had not yet completed looking at everything available. A few minutes later, I had made my decisions and closed and set the menu aside. I don't know where my server vanished to but it was another five or plus minutes before she came to take my order. I placed my order for a cup of gumbo as an appetizer and a combination platter or shrimp, oysters, and fish and requested directions to the rest room. This is where things got worse. I entered a stall in the men's toilet and promptly steped into a pile of human feces on the floor. Once I was able to clean my shoes and tracked down a staff member to point out this issue, they were completely unbothered by the situation and I received no apology, nor response, no nothing. Deviding if they couldn't care about the sanitation in their toilets, I would question the sanitation in their kitches, I decided I was no longer hungry and after paying for food I did not eat and was not questioned as to why, left nd will never return. Lousy service, dirty, not worth it.

• Visited August 2013
Louisville, Mississippi
“Consistently good food and service!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We ate at the Wintzell's Oyster House in North Port on our way home from a July 4th break. It was nice to sit in the cool restaurant and look at the river. The waitress was super attentive but there weren't many folks there, either. We had the smoked tuna dip which was good as always and I had the oyster-shrimp combo. The food was served quickly and was hot off the stove. Wintzell's must marinate their shrimp and oysters because it always tastes about the same regardless of where I go and I think it is pretty good as seafood restaurants go. Is it the best I've ever had? Certainly not! But I always know I will get good food that isn't too greasy and is moderately priced with decent service. Plus I love reading the sayings on the wall!

• Visited July 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Food is ok, expected better”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I ate at the Northport Alabama location.

I had a cajun seafood pasta dish and my companion had a fried dish with a variety of different seafood items. I can say that I was expecting a little "zing" to my cajun seafood dish since it was "Cajun" but in general it was kind of bland. It wasn't bad but not something I would pay 14.00 for, I could have made better at home. I tried a few pieces of my companion's fried platter and found it was very tasty. The hushpuppies were especially good in my opinion. Our waiter was pleasant and professional, the service was good and the wait for our food was not extensive. I would eat there again if it was convenient but I would not go out of my way for it.

• Visited July 2013