Hampton Inn Birmingham/Mountain Brook
$135
SpringHill Suites
$50
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationgreek restaurantcomplimentary waterstrip mallparking lotcomplimentary breakfastroom was cleangreat place to stayfitness centerwould definitely stay here againstaff was friendlyfront desk staffwafflesbusiness tripnice stayeasy accessthe breakfast area
Reviewed March 27, 2007

This is a nice hotel in a very nice part of town. I originally planned to stay at an airport hotel because I had an early morning flight and thanks to the reviews here I did not stay near the airport. That would have been a HUGE mistake. This hotel is a typical Hampton, everyhting was neat, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast was fine. The location really makes it. It is on a major highway and there is a Wendy's and a small strip mall next door with a Chappy's Deli, a Greek place, and a Southwestern place. I ate at Chappy's one night and it is good for a quick meal. if you drive out the back of the property and go down the hill there is a nice quint shopping area there with about 30 or so little "boutique shopps". There is also a pizza place and an ice cream place. The Birmingham zoo is also right near there. Also there is an gas station to make filling up your rental car easy. It was only about a 10-15 minute ride to the airport from the hotel, but well worth staying out there.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank philliesphan1001
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Pluses: Great location just off the main road near Mountain Brook's fab outdoor mall; nice breakfast in comfortable lobby; excellent FREE wireless; lots of towels; warm cookies. Neutral: plain utilitarian room with laminate furniture and aged floral bedspread. Not-so-positive: very loud individual air con unit, downright surly front desk folks who didn't know whether or not rooms were located near the elevator. But gotta love Hampton's marketing on EVERYTHING - from pads next to the phone to soap to the elevator - it all has a slogan.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank AnneLV
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My fiancee and I stayed at this hotel on July 15-17, 2005. I have to say that the service we experienced was nothing short of excellent, from the time we checked in until the time we checked out. Also, the wireless internet access in every room was a plus, and the rooms were clean and well-appointed.

We had the unfortunate luck of staying in a room that was directly across the hall from one of the rooms of an all star little league baseball team from Northport, AL whose parents decided that it would be a good idea to let the entire team stay by themselves in that particular room. After three complaints to the front desk (two via phone and one in person), the matter was finally settled when the parents decided to actually use common sense and make the kids stay with an adult--the late-night clerk actually had to threaten to kick the team out before they would comply. Also, I heard from the staff that the parents of the kids were angry that anyone would complain, stating that "boys will be boys" and that they could not control their children. What a joke--it is truly a sad day in America when parents claim to be unable to control their children in a public setting. This was a situation where the hotel staff did everything within its power to remedy the situation, and I for one was grateful.

The next afternoon, as I returned to the hotel, the front desk staff apologized profusely for the actions of the baseball team and offered to put us in another room on the opposite end of the hotel which we graciously accepted. A member of their staff assisted our move and everyone couldn't have been any more cheerful or helpful. A big thank you to Tiffany, the guest services manager, and the executive housekeeper (whose name I can't remember) for helping us out.

A message to adults with traveling baseball teams everywhere: yes, it is possible to control the kids, and no, it is NOT a good idea to let them stay in a room by themselves--they just may run around the halls screaming like idiots keeping an entire wing of the hotel awake past midnight. So, please use common sense and respect the other guests in the hotel.

And as for the traveler who was fleeing Hurricane Ivan, I highly doubt that the vast majority of hotels across America either keep generators or flashlights for all of their guests--I understand your frustration at having to flee your home, but I do not think that your confidence in the Hampton brand name should be "shattered." I found that this hotel did a great job with addressing my needs.

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank ArlingtonW
Reviewed October 8, 2004

I was fortunate to book a room as I evacuated away from Huricane Ivan. Upon arriving the desk clerk informed me that there was no generator. Too late there were not any other rooms in city. My first night stay was wonderful except for the backed up toilet ! 3pm the following day Our lights indeed went out, The hotel management gave us not a flashlight but a GLOWSTICK!!!! something a child would use for a toy. The windows of course could not be raised. total darkness for hours. Oh The management did offer fruit and a bag of cookies for our trouble WOW! OXYGEN, so I could breathe would have been much better. Upon checkout the next morning at 9:00am the lights were still out. The desk clerk attempted to charge me for the night with no power air,etc.I asked about the 100% satisfaction guarantee the deskclerk gave the runaround. Management agreed , but it was still charged.

Be careful, utilize your satisfaction guarantee and inquire about backup generators , so that you won't almost break your neck in a stairwell powered only by the light of a glowstick. Thanks HAMPTON, my confidence in the brand name is completly shattered.............

3  Thank Julia M
Meredith H, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Birmingham/Mountain Brook, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for staying at Hampton Inn Mountain Brook! We appreciate any feedback you give us and are working to keep the property in excellent condition for our guests. Please let us know if you have any further feedback for us.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 5, 2004

Last week, I spent 5 nights in 4 different hotels, all for business. I booked the Hampton Mountain Brook and was a bit nervous when I read the previous review. Something obviously went wrong with the previous guest's stay or else they have re-vamped the hotel. I am a Hilton Gold Member and spend about 80 nights per year in hotels. This facility was absolutely fine. The rooms were clean and quiet and the breakfast was very nice. Consistent with other Hampton Inns. Don't discount this hotel on the previous review...the only problem for me was the directionally challenged front desk...I called from less than a mile away and they could not tell me where to go. Be sure to bring your map!!! Enjoy your stay.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Meredith H, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham/Mountain Brook, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014