“As close to 5 star as you can get in Montgomery”

Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“As close to 5 star as you can get in Montgomery”
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Stayed for an awards banquet in the Convention Center. Traveled with my wife and our 7 y.o.
Staff could not have been more accomodating or friendlier.

Rooms were spacious and well appointed. They were immaculate. Rooms were quiet and we could not hear the guests above us, and I assume the guests below us could not hear our 7 yo. All rooms were full, but you could not tell by the sound. We stayed on the 9th floor, and the view was great. Our room overlooked the restored commercial buildings near the riverboat landing, as well as the renovated Union Station. Ask for a room overlooking the river, you will not regret it.

Very convenient to the Convention Center, with no need to exit the building.

We only ate breakfast in the House Restaurant, and the buffet was very good. Quite a variety, including omelet station.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Williamfaith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
birmingha Alabama
Reviewed March 23, 2010

The hotel was great .I traveled with 3 of my girlfriends and we had a great time. The room's was clean .I recommend using valet because they bring you your car as many times as you need during your stay for one price. We ate out and shopped . The bar was great. I never heard a train. lot's of site seeing within walking distance. I will be back when the weather is warmer i seen a river boat from my window.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank phyllispsu
North Alabama
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Montgomery this past weekend. He was there for a conference and I tagged along for fun. The Hotel is decorated is grand style, the room was clean and had everything we could ask for. The views of the river from our room were beautiful. The staff was pleasent to work with (what little we needed them for). I have to warn you about the train though. This is a major issue!!! If it werent for the train whistles I would give the hotel an A+++ rating, a 10 out of 10!!! Everyone that was there for the conference said the same thing. The trains run all through the night and blows its whislte ALOT and with the hotel being only 300 yards at best from the tracks it makes the whole experience terrible. I am not kidding you it is the loudest hotel I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at airport hotels not this loud. I was awakened (startled) everytime the trains blew their whistles which was at least 4 times during the night and not to mention at 5 am it runs like every half hour. I would stay in Prattville before I venture to the Renaissance in Montgomery again. Don't say I didn't warn you!! Please dont waste your money expecting it to be not that bad....it is just unbearable!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank PKWT
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed at the Renaissance from February 17 to February 19 (Wednesday to Friday).

Arrival: The hotel has two parking options, valet and self parking. The valet parking is at the front of the hotel on Tallapoosa Street ($17 per night). I used the self parking (entrance on Bibb Street) at $10 a night. You have to park on the 3rd or higher level of the structure, as the lower levels are reserved for valet parking. I think this is the only hotel in Montgomery that charges for parking. The Embassy Suites (across the street) has never charged me, and neither has the Hampton Inn (also nearby). The parking garage has elevators on both ends. Be sure to use the one that is labeled Hotel and not the one labeled Convention Center, if you want to go to the hotel.

Check In: To get to the check-in desk, take the elevator labeled Hotel to the 2nd floor of the parking structure. Then walk through the long carpeted hallway with the strange folk art on the walls to another set of elevators, and take them down to the first floor. Check in is to the left. Check in is fast and efficient.

Rooms: I had a deluxe king room. The bathroom had a pretty big bath tub and a separate, tiled walk in shower with a glass door. The water pressure was great, with plenty of hot water. The hotel had Aveda brand bath products.

The room had a small refrigerator, a large flat screen television, and an armchair. The king bed was firm and comfortable. There was wireless internet for $9.95 night (including unlimited local and long distance calls).

Dining: Because of my Marriott Rewards status, I had access to the Club Lounge on the 12th floor. The Lounge is open 6 to 10 for breakfast Monday to Friday, 10 to 5 for chips/pretzels Monday to Thursday, and from 5 to 9 in the evening on Sunday to Thursday for finger foods. The breakfast had both hot (scrambled eggs, cheese grits, Conecuh sausage) and cold items (cheese, cold cuts, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and danishes). From 5 to 9 there is an honor bar and desserts. From 5 to 7 there are hot finger foods (the night I went there were mini cheeseburgers and savory popovers).

The hotel restaurant tries to feature Alabama items. The breakfast buffet is very adequate, and has meats, baked goods, fruit, and everything you would expect. Dinner in the restaurant can range from lamb to seafood, and is a bit on the expensive side, but worth it. As an added bonus, they serve an Amuse Bouche with dinner.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance. My favorite is Lek's Railroad Thai in the Union Station. The hotel faces the restored Montgomery Union Station.

Fitness Center/Salon: There is a Fitness Center on the 8th (top floor) of the parking structure. Thus there is a walk from the hotel to workout- so consider the walk your warm up. The center has all types of workout machines. Also on the top floor of the structure is a small pool and deck chairs. Also there is a running track around the roof of the parking structure.

There is a spa/salon on the 8th floor/roof of the parking structure. A men's haircut costs $35, but includes access to the quiet room for the day, a steam room, and a hot tub. The is full service and offers massages and other services.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AlabamaTraveler0
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed at the Renaissance for three nights on business. While there I experienced the following: I was greeted by a rude service (valet and front desk). My room had a dirty toilet (filled with toilet paper and a dirty seat). I had ants in my room (hundreds on the walls and floor). The ants were not sprayed when I reported them. I could hear the trains at all hours of the night.

There were some pleasantries about the stay. The room was nice and comfy, room service was good, and the engineer who finally sprayed the room was pleasant. But all in all, the bad outweighed the good. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed at this Hotel during a recent event in the Civic center. I had an outstanding view of the river and train station. I found lunch and the bar area to be very expensive and portions were on the small side. Overall one of the best Hotels in Montgomery, however, I would recommend eating at another location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Mobile
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We arrived on a Thursday afternoon just in time to go to the bar downstairs and get two appetizers, drinks and watch a football game. Beautiful hotel, nice bar, good food and really nice service staff. We then moved to the nice and comfortable outside bar to watch more of the game and listen to the great musicians outside. Really enjoyed it--seems like the employees really enoy their jobs. Room service was perfect and on time, both days. Extra cream and all. Food delicious. After business meeting, went to the Spa which is very nice and clean. Very enjoyable treatments and the Quiet Room was so relaxing. The man that cut my hair was delightful. The bellmen and valet guys were helpful and friendly. We even saw one of our servers the next night off duty, and she remembered our names and asked if there was anything we needed. Never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to go back to Montgomery to the Renaissance. Nice and clean and nicely decorated. Plus there are some really great restaurants in Montgomery as well--shopping too!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business