Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed at this Hotel during a recent event in the Civic center. I had an outstanding view of the river and train station. I found lunch and the bar area to be very expensive and portions were on the small side. Overall one of the best Hotels in Montgomery, however, I would recommend eating at another location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Mobile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

We arrived on a Thursday afternoon just in time to go to the bar downstairs and get two appetizers, drinks and watch a football game. Beautiful hotel, nice bar, good food and really nice service staff. We then moved to the nice and comfortable outside bar to watch more of the game and listen to the great musicians outside. Really enjoyed it--seems like the employees really enoy their jobs. Room service was perfect and on time, both days. Extra cream and all. Food delicious. After business meeting, went to the Spa which is very nice and clean. Very enjoyable treatments and the Quiet Room was so relaxing. The man that cut my hair was delightful. The bellmen and valet guys were helpful and friendly. We even saw one of our servers the next night off duty, and she remembered our names and asked if there was anything we needed. Never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to go back to Montgomery to the Renaissance. Nice and clean and nicely decorated. Plus there are some really great restaurants in Montgomery as well--shopping too!

California Hot Springs, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Early this summer we ate the Sunday brunch buffet at The House restaurant at this hotel. It was outrageously expensive, $25 each, so total of over $100 for us and two teens, and not high quality. Plus they added extra charges for beverages! Curiously they gave free mimosas, only when everyone was leaving, but charged for ice tea and coffees. Not a good variety of food available on buffet, few meat choices and desserts hidden away. Too expensive to ever return.
Servers not well trained.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank elllmt
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

I have been traveling to Montgomery for years now on periodic business, and on my most recent trip booked a room at the relatively new Renaissance to see what it was like. The hotel, though a bit of a maze to navigate as you come in from the parking garage, looks very nice both inside and out. There is some rather odd and amusing art on various walls that gives it a sort of off-beat character, but clearly this has been designed as the pinnacle of high-end accomodations in the city, as well as the centerpiece of waterfront revitalization downtown. The rooms are nicely appointed, with comfy beds, large windows, flat screen televisions, and tasteful decor. I have only eaten breakfast at the restaurant, and the food is somewhat pricey but tasty. It is, simply put, the nicest place I have ever stayed in Montgomery.

There are, however, some negative aspects to the place that are surprising given how new it is. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay.

In the first, I found long hair strewn about the bathroom, especially in the shower--stuck to the walls and door, in the corners of the shower stall, and in a large clump half clogging the drain. More hair was strewn elsewhere in the bathroom, on the floor and even on the sink faucet. I informed management, and the next afternoon it appeared that housekeeping had gotten rid of most of it--but not all, and I kept finding long hairs in the bathroom throughout my stay. As an acknowledged germaphobe, this was quite unsettling. Toward the end of my stay the toilet stopped flushing properly, and it was nonfunctional by the time I checked out.

In the second room, the shower just smelled funny--almost like mildew, although none was visible. The room had two queen beds, one of which was made up nicely upon check-in, the other left half-made--the fitted sheet not quite pulled down around the mattress, which remained exposed. The top sheet was bunched up on the sides, and the mattress was actually pushed about 3 inches off of the box spring. Now at home, I never make my bed, and I may just be picky--but when I pay this much for a room, I assume that when I arrive I will find my bed nicely made up!

In both rooms there were minor issues with cleanliness--light switches, corners, and other areas showing signs of dinginess that I might expect from an older hotel, but not one this new and with this grand a purpose in a city's revitalization scheme. On the other hand pillows, sheets, towels, and floors all seemed very clean, which was certainly appreciated.

The food at the hotel restaurant was tasty--there is a decent menu selection as well as a breakfast buffet--and the service was good, but on one out of five mornings my over-easy eggs were only half-cooked (not just runny!), and on the same morning I was served a mangled piece of toast that was barely in one piece and should never have found its way onto a patron's plate. On another morning the coffee cream was served in a dirty pitcher. For around $13 per person, I was disappointed in these lapses.

My first impression is that Montgomery now has itself a world-class hotel, but that it may need to do a lot more to keep it. In the past five years the condition of the once very nice Embassy Suites across the street seems to have declined significantly, and if not careful I fear that the Renaissance will quickly wind up in the same predicament. Toward the end of my stay I found myself missing the Embassy Suites, which although dated has always impressed me with its cleanliness, and offers cheaper rates.

1 Thank mdyank
Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

I would have to describe this hotel as one of the best. Hotel staff was very accommodating. Initially we requested a city view and shortly changed our mind after we saw the actual view. They had no problem switching us to another room with a river view (highly recommended). They even sent the new rooms keys upstairs to us. Hotel was very upscale. Would highly recommend this site if you're staying in the Mongtomery area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Luv2TrvlDurham_NC
Shoreline CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel has everything to make the business traveler comfortable! SUPER spa even a 25% off for hotel guests, great pool and gym. This hotel would be 500 bucks a night in NYC, but because it is Montgomery, you get A LOT of hotel for your dollar.
The downtown area of Montgomery is depressed, many boarded up and for sale buildings, I was told not to venture out at night alone. Yet even if you just stay on the property, there is plenty to see and do. I would recommend this hotel 100%!!!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I have stayed at the Renaissance in dowtown Montgomery several times since it opened over a year ago. Since opening, I believed the hotel and its restaurant were among the best in the south. However, a recent weekend stay at the hotel was disappointing. My room had several maintanance problems including curtains that wouldn't close, a toilet paper dispenser broken off the wall and a shower that wouldn't drain. The room service menu has changed and lacks many of the signature dishes formerly available. When it was delivered, the water we requested was missing as was one set of silver for the 2 meals. While none of these are major issues, it is disappointing that such a beautiful facility isn't being operated at its highest potenital.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple