“Best hotel in Montgomery” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center

Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Lexington, Kentucky
“Best hotel in Montgomery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have stayed at this property a number of times since it's opening in 2009, and it has never disappointed. There is a spa here at the hotel that I have never used, rooms are very clean and staff is friendly and always here to help. Those that have Marriott Rewards privledges, will really enjoy the concierge lounge. Plenty of very good food for evening and morning with a very good variety. Highly recommend here. Has it all!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite or room. Very spacious. Elevators are far away from rooms on all floors.
Green Features: Typical Marriott, they really look out for the environment and this property is no different.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review of our hotel! We really appreciate your continued loyalty and hope you will try our Spa (Aveda Certified) on your next visit. We look forward to your return to the Montgomery Renaissance.

Warm Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance this past weekend (5/16 - 5/17) while attending a conference and decided to valet my vehicle, which I was originally going to self-park, after my girlfriend misplaced her wallet and became upset. I waited in the vehicle while my girlfriend checked-in so that she could bring me a room key. As the bellhop was assisting with our luggage, she realized her wallet was missing. She returned back to the front desk to see if she had left it there but upon learning that it was not left at t desk, she became very upset. Observing her frustration, I hastily decided to stay with her and asked that my vehicle be parked by the valet. Not thinking, I grabbed my purse but left my other personal items in the vehicle and gave the valet attendant my key.

We decided to go immediately to the room and go through her bags to see if the wallet was there and luckily it was; however, by this time, I had forgotten about my jewelry in the car. After getting settled, I we decided to go to a session and afterwards, go to the store to get bottled water for the room. During the session, I remembered my jewelry in my vehicle and told the ladies accompanying me that I needed to go get my jewelry. We had about another 10 minutes remaining in the session at that time and decided we'd all leave to go on to the store. Immediately upon entering my vehicle I asked my girlfriend to open the top compartment of my glove compartment and retrieve my jewelry which was in a small black Sak top zip wallet. The instant she opened the compartment door, I knew that someone had been rambling through my things because they had left my sorority ritual cover unzipped and the bookmark was hanging out of the cover as well. After we returned to the hotel, we searched the entire vehicle and even went back to the room and went through my bags but NO JEWELRY.

I went back down stairs and notified the valet supervisor that my jewelry had been stolen from my vehicle. He notified his supervisor who asked me if I minded him looking in my vehicle for the jewelry, which I responded that it was fine with me. He had a young man by the name of Chris to fill out an incident report, which was the time that I learned that the valet service was an entirely separate company and was not affiliated with the hotel. Chris (w/ AAA Parking) assured me that they had an excellent claims department and everything would be handled. The next morning I happened to notice back of the claims ticket and saw a disclaimer that stated that they were not responsible for items STOLEN from the vehicle. I became upset and called the front desk and asked to speak to the hotel manager. The manager was not available but the woman that I spoke with asked me if I had also filed a complaint with the “hotel” security or notified the police. I responded that the young man named Chris had told me that they would handle everything and never told me that I needed to do that as well. At this point, I called the police and asked that an officer come to the hotel so that I could report the theft. When the bellhop came to get our bags I asked his if there was a problem with theft from vehicles at there in which he replied, no. After speaking with the police, I learned that was a lie.

The police asked the hotel security representative for the video footage to the parking deck and was told that there is NO CAMERAS IN THE PARKING DECK AREA WHERE THE VALETED CARS ARE PARKED!!! I was so freaking angry I wanted to hit someone. It’s nothing short of “plausible deniability” and negligence. The police questioned the young man that parked my vehicle and told me that they would do what they could. I also learned that the bellhops that follow you to your room with your luggage are also NOT EMPLOYEES OF THE HOTEL, yet no one is responsible for items stolen while staying at such a fine establishment!!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Lisa Y
Kevin W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for notifying us of your concerns with AAA Parking. I have read your review and we have discussed your concerns with the Leadership of AAA Parking. They are currently reviewing your claim. AAA Parking is a fully licensed and insured contract service that has handled our parking and luggage services since opening in 2008. Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Regards.
Windsor, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four days while attending our grandsons graduation. The room was comfortable and clean. The service was average. The staff was very slow in cleaning the room....some of the staff at registration were rude....unhelpful... We were very disappointed in the level of service with this being a Marriott property. We had issues with some over charging and they finally took care of them but made sure they felt they were doing us a favor. We probably would not stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank livetoeat1965
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa! Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced with our Front Desk. Also, thank you for your comments regarding your room comfort and cleanliness. Your comments are very helpful in helping us to improve our hotel for future guests. I hope you will decide to stay with us again when visiting Montgomery.

Newington, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

My family stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We were attending a graduation at the Air Force Base and wanted to stay where the military ball was to be held. At check-in we were upgraded to nice large rooms on the 10th and 11th floors, overlooking the river and train station. The upgrade entitled us to use of the club room for breakfast and snacks.
While our beds were very comfortable and the bathroom spacious, I was disappointed that the luxury I had anticipated at this Renaissance Hotel was somewhat lacking. The bedskirts were wrinkled and ill fitting, the bed covers and pillow comfy, but lumpy and sloppy looking, and the glass top coffee table was stained and held many crumbs left over from previous guests. We had to call for assistance with our TVs and ended up having to use two different remotes to control one TV and a third for the TV closer to the beds. Our room was missing a club chair. (There was one in our children's room on the 10th floor.) The carpet needed a bit more vacuuming in the corners and under furniture, and the louvered closet doors were rather dusty. An in-room safe was located on the bottom shelf of the credenza, rather awkward for those over 65 to access! We were babysitting our infant grandchild the night of the military ball and were disappointed that the hotel does not offer in-room movies, so we huddled around my hubby's laptop to watch a DVD. We were also surprised that we could not access our account on the TV, since we often use this feature to check our bill and/or check out.
We ate at the hotel's Wintzell's Oyster Bar and were very disappointed as we were looking forward to a fine seafood meal. The restaurant seems to be quite popular. The hostesses and wait staff were friendly, but none of us particularly enjoyed our meals, finding the food salty and somewhat greasy. My husband ordered a special lunch plate which was quite small compared to what we had been served at other restaurants in Montgomery.
My daughter-in-law had hoped to have her hair fixed for the military ball at the spa on-site, but apparently they had only one hair stylist - rather surprising since that was a big event at the hotel and many of the guests were anxious to be pampered and look their best. Fortunately, the receptionist at the desk suggested we try a nearby salon, "Verandah" and the owner was very accommodating and called someone to come in later in the day to style my daughter-in-law's hair. for half the price the spa had listed.
On the plus side the hotel has a laundry for guests to use at no charge. The club room on the 12th floor was a convenience as we had constant access to bottled water, soft drinks, fresh fruit, and snacks. We has breakfast there each morning. Hors d'oeuvres were available at 5 pm. This was also computer access to print boarding passes. The outdoor pool on the roof of the 8th floor looked inviting but we did not have the opportunity to make use of it. The parking garage fees of $12/day were reasonable for a big city. All the staff at the hotel were very pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, on the 10th or 11th floor! There will be less noise from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lizzieswish
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa! Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience of having to go to another salon for your daughter-in-law. In addition, I appreciate your comments regarding cleanliness of your suite and will certainly address this with our Housekeeping Team.

Although, Wintzell's Oyster Bar is attached to the hotel, they are under separate management and I will forward your comments to their ownership group.

Lastly, thank you for your comment regarding the staff which I will share with the team. Hope you will stay with us again when visiting Montgomery.

Ridgeland, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at Renaissance the weekend of May 9, 2014, for my husband's 50th birthday weekend. I had bought him tickets to the Doobie Brothers concert for Valentine's Day, with the concert scheduled for that weekend. He tucked them away in his dresser drawer and eagerly awaited the trip. Unfortunately, I did not double-check my dates. At check in, Mandy was asking about our visit and found herself with the unfortunate task of breaking the news to me that the concert had been the night BEFORE we arrived. Oh, what a sad day! She was so kind and really went above and beyond to make our stay special in spite of my mistake. She upgraded us to a suite and arranged for a special surprise to await us in the room when we returned from dinner. The hotel is beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, in no small part due to Mandy's extra efforts. I am so glad we chose this hotel for what turned out to be a very memorable and pampering weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baskins
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa. Glad you enjoyed your stay and I hated to hear you missed The Doobie Brothers Show at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center. I will certainly share your comments on Mandy's performance in still making your stay a memorable one. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Montgomery.

san diego, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here for a conference and the staff were professional, cheerful and helpful. Beds are very good and tub in bathroom is big enough to soak in with separate shower stall. The pool is lovely on the roof of hotel and there is one free washer and dryer to use on 2nd floor. Check the cabinet for laundry soap left behind.
Hotel has a nice happy hour with drink specials at 5PM and live music on the outside shaded patio. Many excellent restaurants within walking distance, especially Central Restaurant for fabulous food and Wintzell's oyster house for seafood.
Downtown has been redeveloped and it is worth a visit since it's safe and has much to offer.

Room Tip: face the river for nice view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank travelcookie_7
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you so much for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery hotel and Spa! We are glad you enjoyed visiting the local restaurants in the downtown area all within walking distance. Also, we have different entertainers scheduled nightly on the Exchange patio. Hope you will visit us again when your travels bring you to Montgomery.

Again, thank you for your kind review of our hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We went to Montgomery for only one reason to go to a concert at the Performing Arts Center, the Doobie Brothers were the only thing better than this hotel. Very grand entrance and lobby area. All staff first class from valet to front desk. Room was very nice as were all the public areas. And it is connected to the arts center so just walk over. We ate at the restaurant which was not so good reviewed separately.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Hockeybo
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa. Glad you enjoyed The Doobie Brothers Show at the Montgomery Performing Arts Centre. I will share your comments regarding our first class service with the team. They love to hear these comments. In addition, I will share your feedback regarding The House Restaurant as well. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Montgomery!