“Comfortable, even when stuck during a storm”

Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
London, England
“Comfortable, even when stuck during a storm”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had the misfortune to be in Montgomery during a bad winter storm, so I spent about half my trip stuck in the hotel with nowhere to go. I appreciate the hotel had difficulties providing services during that time due to staff availability and they did do their best to keep us provided with food and amenities.

The room itself was very big and comfortable, with a great bathroom. I had a good view of the river, and was perfectly happy with the room in every way. Housekeeping do a great job of maintaining the standards.

The bar is quite small, although I can see that it would be better in the summer with the outdoor area. On the only storm free night that I wanted to eat in the restaurant, they were only serving a quite expensive pre-theatre set menu, so that was annoying. However the location is good for nearby restaurants.

Overall I would stay here again and would recommend it as a good downtown Montgomery option.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kevin W, Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank You so much for staying with us at the Renaissance Montgomery and thank you for your patience during the ice storm and state of emergency here in Alabama. I appreciate your positive comments which I will share with our staff and I will also share your feedback in reagards to the pre-set menu with our Food and Beverage Director.Once again thank you for your comments

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Decided to join my husband for a 3-day business meeting. I had business to take care of myself, and knew that "by day", I would have to pretty much stay in the room and get through a few on-line courses, but "by night", I could enjoy the company of those here with his conference. If you're going to be "cooped up", this is a great place to do it. Everything is clean and well-appointed. Nice view from room #727. Front desk, Housekeeping and Room Service personnel have all been great!! Very professional and quick to share a smile. The food with Room Service is VERY GOOD, and the prices were surprisingly fair. The hotel staff has been VERY accommodating!! I may venture out, before the trip is over, but if not, this has been a great visit.... "cooped up in this room."

• Stayed January 2014
Mike E, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and appreciate the kind words regarding our hotel personnel. Regards.
Alabama
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Very dependably above average. An oasis on a tired sports trip or business. Great soft linens and option of relaxing tub or separate roomy shower. Stayed here when packed house and never a prob with water temp or water pressure. When there is room, hotel honors every detail of special request re room location.

• Stayed October 2013
Mike E, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Best regards.
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I wish I could give this hotel a top rating but they failed to provide one simple ingredient, a room free from noise. The party in the hallway started at 10PM and continued until 3AM. Several calls were made to the front desk to complain but it was obvious they lacked the proper security to control crowds. This hotel is attached to a convention center so you are warned! I left a comment card at the front desk for the general manger (Mike) outlining our concerns but I have not heard from him as of date (28 Dec).

Room Tip: High floor, corner room away from the elevator.
Green Features: I did not observe any environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ICJOYNU
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We sincerely apologize for inconvenience of the noise during your stay. Per our phone conversation we look forward to serving you in the future. Best regards.
Ansbach, Germany
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed there because we had a party for work in the convention center and we got a discount on the room.
The pluses:
+Friendly and helpful staff
+Clean and welcoming foyer and entrance
+Good quality breakfast buffet
Minuses:
-Self-parking $12 per vehicle per day (unfortunately we had to have two cars with us)
-The parking garage is a separate building so you have to take the elevator to the bottom floor and walk back into the hotel lobby area to get the elevator to your room
-Fee for internet
-Cleanliness issues with room (I discussed it with the hotel staff so I will not go into it here)
-No free breakfast ($16 per person for their buffet)

I understand that you normally pay for breakfast and internet with this class of hotel but if it were not for the convenience I would probably have stayed in the Embassy Suites across the street (of course that would put me closer to the railway line, see below).
Others have mentioned the proximity of the railway line next to the river. The train woke me up in the wee small hours of the morning. To avoid it you could request a room on the parking garage side of the hotel although you will then be missing the view of the river. I heard one train on a Saturday morning. Not sure if that is standard traffic on the line.

To summarize, I felt that I could have done better staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: To avoid the possibility of being woken up by a train pick a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike E, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We are grateful that you complimented our staff and enjoyed your event.

The parking garage is owned by the city and managed by a third party even though we allow guests to charge parking to their rooms as a courtesy. You may enter the hotel building via the garage elevator on the 2nd floor.

Also please be aware we do offer basic complimentary internet in the guestrooms. There is a more enhanced high speed level for $9.95 for video chat, conference, downloading large files and streaming videos. This level includes long distance phone calls, too. This should have been noticed on the web browser.

Thank you for bringing attention to detail to our staff regarding other concerns.

Best Regards.
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the corner suites and the bathroom and room were huge. Very nice accommodations and the service was friendly, but not spectacular. We were on the side opposite the convention center and some of the bars/restaurants on that side were noisy but eventually quieted down. Overall a very nice looking hotel but still a few areas for improvement.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike E, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words regarding our services. We look forward to your return. Best regards.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel is overated for the price, next time I will stay at the Embassy right across the street. The heater did not work in my room and after complaining, a resolution was not met. Both managers (Kevin [---] and Mandy [---] told me that I can complain all I want but basically take what was offered to me which was some points to go on my rewards card. The only good thing is that the other staff members were super nice and went out of their way to make the situation somewhat better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family