Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Swank but worth it.”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here one night this week with a friend and her daughter. We had a view from our window o of the Alabama River and all the lush scenery. There is a microwave and a refrigerator in the room. The staff was friendly and helpful and suggested a few dinner spots. We were within walking distance of the riverfront, and of several lovely restaurants. The next morning we were able to tour all the city's historical sites on foot. I would definitely love to come back!

Room Tip: Get a river view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my second time here.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The food is excellent, and they have live entertainment at the outdoor bar.
The location is great for several restaurants.
Hotel was very clean. The only drawback I had was that I was on the third floor, and the exterior lights were too bright at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a high-quality, but a bit pricey, very nice hotel. I have stayed here twice, once in December 2010, and once more recently, in July 2013.

The customer service here is wonderful. When I pulled up to the front to park temporarily so I could go into the lobby to check in, a valet both opened my car door for me when I arrived, and closed it for me when I got back in my car. Who does that anymore?! Thankfully, someone does!

The lobby of the hotel is gigantic and beautiful. For your room, you can request, though it won't be guaranteed, a higher floor and either a city or river view. Personally, I think the river view is more interesting, and they were able to accommodate this request for us, as well as putting us up on the 9th floor. The view was great, as you'll see in one of my attached photos.

We stayed in a room with a king bed. Another plus is that the entire hotel is smoke-free. The bathroom had both a tub (without shower head) and a separate stand-up shower stall. The rooms are very spacious. There was a little nook to make coffee or tea, a nice flat panel tv, a desk and chair and a comfy chair, foot stool and small side table. There were ample plugs for electronics, especially on both sides of the beds.

The negative, as stated in other reviews, is there is no wifi. There is plug-in high speed service. We each have an iPads that connect to the Internet only via wifi, and we have an iPhone and an Android phone. There's no way to hook any of those to a high speed wire, so we relied on our own phone data plans, including hot-spotting the operation of our iPads. That's an option we use if we want to get connected while camping, and so when we are wanting to stay connected in a fairly pricey hotel and that is our only means of doing so, yes, it may seem petty, but it did raise our eyebrows. They really need to update this. Travelers-- whether for business or pleasure -- have come to expect free wifi. The wired service they do offer, by the way, is not free. It is $9.95 per day.

Other than that technicality with technology, we had a fantastic stay. Montgomery is one of my favorite cities for many reasons. The city and its people are wonderful. We were here to go to a Montgomery Biscuits baseball game, which is in walking distance from the hotel and always a great time. I'd also recommend walking across the street to the old train depot, Union Station. You can pick up many helpful tourist tips at the office inside the old train station. There is a very inexpensive city tour that leaves from there and brings you all over the city, giving you historical information as you see sights. There is a very good Thai restaurant inside the depot called Jax Railroad Thai. (Look for my review of that restaurant, also). Also in the area, we recommend Dreamland Barbecue for lunch or dinner. Although I have been to Montgomery a few times, I have yet to tour the Hank Williams Museum, but that, too, is in walking distance from the Renaissance. Check out the historic and beautiful Court Street Fountain. It's a beautiful sight to see, especially at night, and it is maybe about three blocks from the hotel.

Overnight parking at the Renaissance is $12 per night. If you want to do this, let them know at check-in and it will be automatically be billed to your room. Your room key will be coded to also act as your 'ticket' in and out of the parking garage. You can get to the garage by walking trough the hotel. The two are connected. It is basically at the back side (city side) of the hotel. For a slightly higher fee, they also offer valet parking.

If you are looking for a less pricey option than the Renaissance, but still want to stay in he same area, then check out the Hampton Inn on Commerce Street. It is not your typical Hampton Inn, it is inside a renovated historical building. It is also very nice. I stayed there in October 2011. It is just beside the Renaissance and therefore in the same neighborhood and in walking distance of the same places I've noted above.

Enjoy your time in Montgomery...check out the Rosa Parks Museum, too! That is also amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for a high-level, river view room. While it can't be guaranteed that they can fulfill this r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pattyp814
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. We spend the 4th of July weekend here. The only complaint we had was it rained and the pool was closed. Otherwise the rooms are comfortable and clean.The hotel pool is located in parking garage on the 8th floor. You do have to pay for parking at $12.00 a day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bamba
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Before you walk in, you get a sense that this hotel is beautiful by just looking at the pretty red sheer poppy curtains on each of the rooms windows.

We used the valet service, which were fast and friendly. There is also a Self Parking garage at the back of the bldg.

We reserved a 2 Queen room, which was spacious and had a HUGE bathroom, complete with an enclosed slate tile shower and separate tub. They supply a travel-sized tube of toothpaste, and Aveda products. The beds/room was clean, however the bathroom was not (a little disappointing since I was SO enamored with the room and hotel. There was a TON of hair, dust and dirt underneath the bathroom counter and the shelf where the hair dryer was located was full of dust. Hopefully this was just our room (723), but if not, management really needs to discuss this with housekeeping. The light fixtures in the bathroom hasn't been dusted in weeks either. My last gripe is that there was a coffee maker, but no coffee pot.

The outdoor pool is fantastic and great for younger children and adults.

We ate breakfast at The House in the hotel and the food and service were good. I highly recommend ordering the Hoecakes if you've never had them before!

Overall, beautiful hotel, great location and service, just the bathrooms need to be cleaned a little better...

I would definitely return though!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Monika G
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here for a convention made reservation long time ago and requested a handicap room got here to a one queen bed room and its 3 adults. They tell us its nothing they could do all other rooms were taken. So imagine 3 adults with one bed and we also requested a shower because of the handi cap person couldnt lift her legs to get in the bathtub. Room wasn't cleaned on several occasions they ran out of coffee so therefore we had none in our room. Every day we had to ask for tissue and towels mind you its 3 adults in the room. We encountered rudeness we asked to speak to some about this situation needless to say absolutely nothing was done. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE RENAISSANCE HOTEL to ANYONE but will share with them the horrible experience we encountered...Ms.Josephine Edwards..Ms.Marilyn Smith..Ms.Neko Simpson

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank nekolawong
Sylacauga, Alabama
Reviewed June 22, 2013

An absolutely beautiful property! Well maintained grounds & buildings. Had an awesome room! A top rate hotel as far as décor & atmosphere.
My complaint....no security, no fencing or privacy from outside persons. While at the bar trying to order a late night meal, I was harassed by an unclean person who walked right in off the streets through the courtyard. I am not saying non-guests should not be allowed to enter the bar or the restaurants, but the ones allowed in should be monitored. This person was unclean, rude and was coughing all over me, all the while trying to get me to order him a drink & food. I am not a selfish or uncaring person, but when at a hotel of this caliber, I don't expect to be harassed by people like this. Try to control husslers who wander in off the street. A little security would have went a long way in this case.
The bartender was actually great, but could do nothing with the person either. There was a "security person" close by, but his time was occupied by flirting with all the females at the bar! The courtyard staff was sub-par at best. All they were concerned with was what time they were getting off! Somewhat discriminatory! The tables all around us where served, but we sat there for quite a while before someone even asked us if we would like anything or offered us a drink.
Will I stay at this hotel again? Probably will give it one more shot, because everyone has an "off" night. But one more shot is all! Its a shame because this is an extremely beautiful place!
Will I stay at this