“Loved it! Can't wait to go back.”

Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Enterprise, Alabama
“Loved it! Can't wait to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

I love downtown Montgomery. The Hampton across the street seems very nice but this was the location of a confernce I just attended and the reservations where made (and paid for) by the host so I stayed. I could not have been more pleased. I was given a river view. You cannot see how beautiful it was from the pictures. Sorry for the quality - took them on my Blackberry. All the facilities where great. I could go on and on about the positives but I will just say this is a perfect place to dine (Sa Za's) or attend a Biscuits Game (HIGHLY RECOMMEND). Great facilities for conferences, weddings, reunions, etc. Breakfast was really good and all of the staff were wonderful - especially Sonya and Jasmin in the restaurant. The pool was AMAZING! Great city views!

Pros: Location, staff, pool
Cons: None. I didn't sleep well but it had nothing to do with train sounds. Niether I, nor anyone I spoke with, complained about the trains. Of course, I hear helicopters firing live rounds most night were I live so.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GermFreak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

Hotel was nice but for the money I expected more than just "nice". The freight trains pass by all during the night so don't expect more than a couple of hours of sleep. The restaurant is very expensive and food quality is below average. Also the web access will cost you $10 extra.
If you stay here you will want to dine at one of the great restaurants in the area. Dreamlands, Saza, Wentzels, and The Deli are all great choices.
I've also stayed at the Hampton across the street. They have free wifi and a nice breakfast is included in the price of the room, and it's not nearly as noisy as the Renaissance.

• Stayed April 2011
Fort Dix, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

This hotel is amazing. the standard rooms are very clean and spacious. I had two large queen beds, large bathroom and nice view of Beautiful downtown Montgomery. Pool was great, my daughter loved the pool and had an amazing view and had a bar! My only complaint was that parking garage is a hike to front desk and can be hard with alot of luggage. All in all a great stay with nice ammenties.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed here overnight for a function in the ballroom. This place is outstanding n many ways. The rooms were spacious with separate shower and tub. The shower was encased in glass and large enough for two people. Very large high def TV with multimedia center. The only draw back was that we were in a room that had a door to the next room for a connected room if you wanted it. The door was not soundproof and we could here the conversation of the people next door very clearly. Recommend getting a room without a connecting door if possible. Everything was great and would stay there again whenever in Montgomery.

It was 10 dollars to park overnight and it was added to the bill.

Room Tip: Don't one with a connecting room door.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I am a frequent traveler who likes to be treated well so I always try to pick quality over economy. My husband was in Montgomery on business so I checked us into this hotel hoping for good service. There are cheaper hotels nearby but the Renaissance looked nicer and was convenient for my husband's conference which was downstairs in their conference center.
The first day and night was as I would expect from a hotel of this quality - great with no complaints. However, the second day we decided to try the restaurant downstairs where our stay went downhill. We were seated by a friendly hostess and told that our server would be right with us. We waited for 20 minutes without being acknowledged by any staff who worked around us clearing tables and refilling drinks at other tables. Disappointed at being ignored for so long we got up and left the restaurant without anyone paying attention. Remembering other comments that I have read for this hotel we walked across the street to the Dreamland BBQ - excellent service and fantastic food.
I had some work to do so went back to the room while my husband conducted his business. I paid the $9.95 for internet access which is not even secured which concerned me. If a hotel charges for internet, it needs to be a secured network. However, needed it to work so had no choice. It was during this time that guests must have been checking in because the hallway started to get really loud with people coming and going. Our room was directly across from the Governor's Suite on the 11th floor and I could hear guests checking into the room with constant visits from room service, luggage delivery, guest services and people visiting. There was quite a crowd in the suite by the time we went to eat dinner at 6pm from what I could guess by the chatter and laughter coming from the room. I assumed it was a reunion or something.
When we returned from dinner - the pizzeria across the street...AWESOME!... - the noise was even louder so that we could hear laughter and conversation in our room across the hall. I went down to the front desk to inquire on how much longer I could expect it to continue when I was informed that it was, in fact, a private birthday party and would probably continue through the night.

I have NEVER been in a hotel that has allowed people to book a party in a guest suite on the 11th floor with other guests trying to sleep....EVER!

Security came up and asked them to either keep the noise down or take the party downstairs to the bar. He was told that when the party was booked, the person taking the reservation knew that it was a party. Therefore, they had paid good money for the suite especially for the party and were not going to take it somewhere else....quite rightly! However, all of us who were staying on the same floor were now subjected to having a loud party keeping us awake all night. The security guard offered to move us to a suite on another floor. I did not want to pack all of my belongings and move but had a 12 hour drive back home beginning early in the morning so we accepted. However, once we got to the new room, it was not a suite but a standard queen room like the one we had just left. I didn't want to argue or move again so I settled in for the night. The main benefit at the end of the day was that got a quiet night at least.

We were majorly inconvenienced by having to move because of a booked party in a bedroom suite opposite without any compensation. My husband notified customer service at Marriott and was e-mailed with an offer of Marriott reward points which I have looked at and discovered that it doesn't really give us anything. Oh well...Marriott got what they wanted as far as the money that was being spent on that party and the guests sharing the floor were blown off and inconvenienced. My own opinion...

I cannot fault the bell staff at the Renaissance - they were fantastic and so polite and helpful. The front desk staff were so-so. The parking garage attendants were super friendly as were the housekeeping staff.

I would not recommend this hotel unfortunately. I will not stay there again. A friend who lives in Montgomery has recommended that the Hampton Inn across the street is much better for service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sortiz
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

This is a big hotel suitable for conventions and wedding parties. Service in the restaurant was friendly but ineffectual, and the food just so-so. The $9.95 a day charge for using wireless service in your room (rather than in public areas) seemed greedy, given the nightly rate for the room. A liqueur in the bar was $13 (prices not listed on the menu). If you want cozy and intimate in a beautifully restored older building, the Hampton Inn a block away is a much better choice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JWH060
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

I have stayed here several times, and I have to say that it keeps going downhill. Here is a review of the key areas: SERVICE: Lackluster, somewhat lazy, lots of half-hearted apologies, but no substance. A few nice people (like the Bartender in The House and a staffperson I met on the elevator), but otherwise, people look like they are either idiots or haven't had enough training. The place needs new management, new staff or both. The wait staff (especially my waitress) in the restaurant seemed very unpolished and deserved to be working in a lower caliber restaurant. No one "snapped to it" Everyone seemed lethargic and seemed to be just "getting by". I didn't see any outstanding customer service. No one wanted to go above and beyond or out of their way.
They are all about the money. The hotel nickels and dimes for everything including the complimentary water.
FOOD: Not good, cold, poor quality and WAY too expensive. The food is warmed over. I ordered a baby back ribs appetizer that was boiled instead of grilled and warmed over. To make matters worse, they tried to say the ribs were cooked that day. No way. When they arrived at my table, they weren't even hot. They offered a free cheesecake to compensate that was gummy and not tasty. The "Chef" either needs additional training or just doesn't care. It's definitely not the same "chef" they had one year ago. Did I mention the food was outrageously expensive for the quality?
ROOMS: Dirty. Plain and simple. A thick layer of dust under the bathroom vanity. Debris and lint on the carpet. The room smelled like the person that stayed before me (or people that stayed before me) A little air freshener would have been nice. The room glasses were obviously cloudy. The sheets did not smell particularly fresh. They were white (somewhat) but did not smell fresh and the other bed was somewhat rumpled. The entire room had a dirty feel to it and did not smell very clean. The entire room had a "yuck" factor.

Apparently, they are banking on the fact that they are a resort and conference center and large organizations will block large blocks of rooms. That's all they have to bank on. I would not stay here again, unless it was free and I brought my own sheets and blankets, plenty of hand sanitzer and Clorox Wipes. I certainly will never pay money to eat there again. I would either bring my own food, or make the trek to one of the nearby restaurants.

P.S. A side note: Although this is not the hotel's fault, the hotel is light years away from good affordable food, with the exception of maybe one or two nearby restaurants. You really have to forage for food if you're going to be staying there. Room service fees and prices are outrageous (I have no problem paying for delicious, high quality food) but you won't find it at this hotel. They don't seem to care.
Also, I had hair in a water glass and hair on my table the last time I stayed there. I don't know who it is that is shedding all of the hair. Disgusting.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business