“Great service, good food, ample servings”
Review of Davis Cafe

Davis Cafe
Ranked #66 of 462 Restaurants in Montgomery
Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Great service, good food, ample servings”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I were driving back to Florida from a trip out of town, and along the way we were discussing where to eat. My husband mentioned barbeque, so I did an online search for barbeque in the Montgomery area, and up popped Davis' Cafe. This is NOT a barbeque restaurant, but we ended up pretty happy with our meals. Realize that it is in a deserted, run down looking area off the beaten path, but if that doesn't bother you, then go for it. We didn't care because it wasn't far off the interstate. The server gives you a paper that lists the meats and vegetables for the day with no prices listed, and desserts for the day with prices listed, and you pick your meat and three sides. My husband ordered sweet tea and said it was sickeningly sweet for him. He ordered the breaded pork chop, rice and gravy, fried okra, and fresh field peas. I ordered fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, buttered corn, and field peas. My husband's pork chop was a good size, and he liked it. My fried chicken, a leg and thigh, were small pieces but very tasty and reminded me of my own mom's fried chicken that she used to make when I was a kid. The mashed potatoes were excellent, real potatoes that were creamy but not too runny and with small chunks of potato here and there. The corn appeared to have been cooked in a pan with butter, not boiled, so it had a color between yellow and brown, but this is actually exactly how I prefer my corn, and it was wonderful. The field peas were really good, too, but I couldn't finish them all because I wanted to save a little room for dessert. The portions were plentiful, let me tell you. Expecting a smaller portion of dessert, my husband and I both ordered banana pudding, but we received styrofoam "to go" containers of banana pudding that were probably about a cup and a half each, about double the quantity that we expected. It was still lukewarm, not chilled, but I actually enjoy mine this way, and it was really good with a lot of bananas and vanilla wafers in it. We could have actually split one banana pudding between us, if we'd known they were this big, but we didn't ask in advance, and neither one of us was able to finish ours after eating all that food. Including drinks but not including dessert, my meal was about $9, and my husband's was $12. I felt that mine was reasonable, but he felt that his pork chop meal was a little bit overpriced, but the prices weren't on the menu, and we didn't ask. Regardless, the server was really nice and helpful, and the food was good. We would probably stop in here again when traveling through Montgomery at lunch time.

• Visited October 2013

Marietta, Georgia
“The Best in the Hole I've ever Been”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The original restaurant we were looking for had closed so a local recommended Davis Cafe. I'm so glad she did. She said "don't go by what it looks like on the outside". She was right. But, the food makes up for it. I had the fish and it was excellent, the fried chicken was off the chain. The greens were good, peas were excellent., yams excellent. The Mac and cheese does need some work. The staff was friendly enough. Just use the bathroom before you go. I would definitely return to this place when in Montgomery.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Disnyfan
Montgomery, Alabama
“I wouldn't go back....”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This experience was one of the worse ones I ever had. The reviews said if was great so I decided it try it along with a couple of friends. It is in a deserted area however that didn't bother me. It was the food. I was looking for a great soul food restaurant in the area and this was not it! The greens didn't taste good, the macaroni and cheese was just noodles and cheese sauce mixed together, the cornbread didn't have any taste to it, and the fried chicken everyone was bragging about....it was overcooked! The fruit punch was red kool aid that wasn't good at all. The cake tasted like it was sitting for a while. This was one of the worst experiences I've had at a restaurant. If you are looking for good soul food... This isn't the place! Try it for yourself though...the people were really friendly so I"ll give them an "A" for hospitality.

• Visited September 2013
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
“love this place”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

reminds me of my grandma's cooking a whole lot....takes me back to my childhood! The outside is not the best or most attractive looking but by golly wow the food makes up for it! The chicken is huge and the sides are well seasoned. If you are looking for authentic "soul food" you will not be disappointed....I PROMISE!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Laquondra M
Montgomery, Alabama
“Don't let the outside fool you”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a lunchtime meat and three kind of place and the menu changes daily. It may not look like much on the outside but it is nice and friendly inside and the food is very good. The best chicken and dressing ever!

1 Thank Sherry J