“I like holes in the wall”

Martin's Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 475 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: American
Description: Martin's Restaurant featuring "Home Style Cooking Since 1930's"Join us for Lunch or DinnerReservations AcceptedDine In OR Carry Out is Available
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really enjoyed the cucumber salad, meatloaf and fried green tomatoes. I liked that they had a set menu based on the day of the week. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Talk about feeding the multitudes, Martin's does. We had left in a hurry, skipping breakfast and our co-driver began telling us about the great menu. We arrived at 1PM with groups of people exiting, most of them toting to-go boxes. Upon observation, lots of chicken going out the door. We ate ribs based on the Tuesday menu and the review we heard down the road. They were good, almost great. Turnip greens- OK. Fried okra- average. Wife said big string beans were good.
As for the pineapple/ cheese casserole controversy- I love this stuff! The little bit of cheese was just decoration, I couldn't taste it. The pineapple, the dough and that sweet gooey filling(?) will bring me back.
Service was fine, food arrived in decent time.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had the Famous Fried Chicken and found out why it is famous! Very tasty, crispy, and tender. The meat and 3 is a southern tradition done very well at this restaurant. I was seated quickly, served my complimentary sweet tea immediately and asked for my order before I could even read through the list of daily specials. Enjoyed the fried chicken with rice & gravy, cabbage, and green beans. Was very disappointed in the rice & gravy, but everything else was well-seasoned and tasty. The cornbread muffins were excellent! Wait staff couldn't have been any better---they were friendly and attentive. My tea glass was never empty. I have heard how wonderful their chocolate cream pie with extremely high meringue was, but was too full to order it. Hope to go back soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My friends and I were in town and we went to church one sunday at MLK Jr's old church and then afterwards we made our way to martins. We got seated immediately despite the crowd and our waitress was quick. The food was good and the portions were hearty. We had a great time and we ordered pie for dessert. The pie was great but I was stuffed. It was a great place for southern style comfort food and the sweet tea was sweet indeed. Go if you're hungry. You'll leave full.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

People were friendly. Corn bread, potato salad and fried chicken were good although there wasn't a lot of seasoning on the chicken. Might be better choices for restaurants. Read good things on Trip Advisor so figured we'd try it.