“Always delicious Southern food”

Martin's Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 463 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: American
Description: Martin's Restaurant featuring "Home Style Cooking Since 1930's"Join us for Lunch or DinnerReservations AcceptedDine In OR Carry Out is Available
Montgomery, Alabama
“Always delicious Southern food”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The food is simple, Southern fare. The fried chicken is famous around the world. I know -- I bring all of our guests here to eat lunch.

Visited February 2012

Shelbyville, Tennessee
“Very Good !!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Took my cousin from North AL to this place last Thursday night. The food was wonderful will be returning soon..

• Visited April 2012
midwest
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I was not impressed with this place. As soon as we walked in the hostess greeted us with a smile and a hello but, as soon as I said hello back her smile turned into a frown. I can only assume she was unhappy because I was not a local. The Midwestern accent clearly gave me away. From there we had an extremely unfriendly waitress who did not bother to collect a single plate off our table the entire meal. Our food was mediocre. The fried chicken was crispy but, little flavor. Mashed potatoes and gravy were nothing to write home about (I think they were instant). The pineapple cheese casserole was gross and the fried peach pie was hot in spots and frozen in others. My kids did like their chicken tenders and fries but, they always do. The only good thing we had was the fried okra but, to be honest I don't think I have ever had bad fried okra and the locals were cool. The hostess was very friendly to them and seemed to know a lot of people there. I would recommend Dreamland BBQ instead. We went there for lunch the next day and had the complete opposite experience.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank midwest4
Stony Creek, New York
“Delicious Chicken in Hometown Diner Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Look for the Winn Dixie in a little mall or you'll pass right by (three times) using your GPS! Martin's is behind another building in this grocpery shopping center so look for the Winn Dixie and once in the parking lot you'll find Martin's. It's worth hunting it out.

We went here based on a recommendation in the Road Food book for good fried chicken. The chicken was excellent, hot when served and a delicious lighter batter with what?? just the right amount of salt?? I don't know what it was but as my husband said "finger licken' good" - I had to stop him from eating the bones and all.

The dark meat pieces are moister than the white meat, but the crust was a beautiful thing all around. We shared a plate at a $2 upcharge, and it was perfect for the two of us. We had cole slaw, rice & gravy, and . . . wait for it . . . pineapple with cheese casserole. Yes, pineapple with cheese (you know womeone was low on groceries in the cupboard when that one was invented) and it was delicious!! Who knew?! It is sort of like the inside of an apple pie filling, we ate it as a dessert as they were out of butterscotch pie. Finally the cornbread muffins were good when hot, but a little hard and heavy when cooled - I've made better at home.

We got there about 2p, and it was about half full. Our waitress was quick and pleasant. The atmosphere -- well -- it is a hometown diner, but I do think it is time they sunk some of the money they are obviously making back into the place like maybe new carpet and a bathroom remodel. Yum, yum, chicken.

• Visited April 2012
Louisa, Virginia
“Great Chicken”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We saw Martin's on a list of 100 restaurants to visit before you die. We were on our way to Huntsville, so it was a bit out of the way. We made the change in our plans and arrived around 12:30 pm at a nearly full house at Martin's. Our waitress was very good, but obviously very busy. My wife and I both ordered the fried chicken. My wife ordered all "White" and I ordered mixed. I have to say that the dark meat was better than any I had had in a while but the Breast I received was very dry. My wife enjoyed hers without any complaint. We had greens and fried green tomatoes ( which I found to be a bit sour or tart) but the cornbread was great. Good Southern Cooking.

• Visited February 2012