“Slightly Bohemian, Always Divine.”
Review of Michael's Table - CLOSED

Michael's Table
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Malone
Description: Recognized as one of Alabama"s Top 10 Dining Experiences, Michael's Table features international comfort foods and the finest wine list in the city.
Montgomery, Alabama
“Slightly Bohemian, Always Divine.”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I am biased toward Michael's Table in two ways: Chef Michael Hochhalter is a friend, and he has created a atmosphere and cuisine that pushes the edge of Montgomery's envelope very close to air-mail in its cosmopolitan influences; such that each time I go there I feel like I'm anywhere else but in Montgomery...a Parisian bistro, a London chop house, and a Mediterranean cafe, with a little gemutlichkeit thrown in for good measure. Some of my favorite dishes are: the Jaegerschnitzel--a pork cutlet served with mashed potatoes; the Thai Chicken Quesadillas; and any fish dish. A nice surprise on the wine list is a German Pinot Noir--who knew? The service is good and charming, and the experience memorable.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank David B

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely wonderful meal!”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Passing through Montgomery for a day, my wife and I debated for some time whether to look for a southern barbecue restaurant or simply one of the better reviewed restaurants regardless of cuisine. The latter idea won out and we were able to book an early (7:00) table at Michael's Table. It was our good fortune.

We had as absolutely wonderful experience. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Our waiter in particular (whose name I failed to get) was fabulous. There's nothing pretentious or overblown here - dress was generally casual, the tables set properly but using paper instead of cloth coverings and we were made to feel very welcome very quickly. It was too chilly for outdoor dining but the dining room was comfortable and well laid out.

It's often said of the best kitchens that the menus are short and focused. This menu was surprisingly short but varied in choices of protein and style. The portion of the menu that appears online is shorter still as so much of it is different daily. My corn crab soup was delicious, my wife's soup (whose name we forget) was also very good. For our entree she ordered the spaghetti, I had beef dish that incorporated the teres major cut of beef served with potato fried in duck fat with a rich beef gravy. I don't ordinarily tend to order beef but you don't see this very special cut on many menus so I wanted to try it. The meat was tender, cooked perfectly and very tasty. My wife's spaghetti was also excellent and the basil tomato sauce was light and very rich at the same time.

Our waiter did an excellent job pairing our wine selections with our main dish. The wines weren't particularly expensive but both well suited to our selections. Neither one of us needed desert but both of us ordered it. My wife ordered a selection of specialty gelatos both of which were absolutely outstanding. One was a cucumber, dill and mint confection . . . now, when did you actually ever taste cucumber in anything? It was really beyond expectations. I ordered the cornflake crusted coconut creme pie. Absolutely to die for.

We really can't say enough about this restaurant except that we're sorry that we live so far away and can't become 'regulars.' It was interesting to watch as regular patrons and the wait staff greeted each other like long lost friends and how many people knew people at other tables.

As we learned this evening, there's good reason why this restaurant is rated so highly.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank don15215
Indiana
“The best restaurant I ever stumbled upon”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We found this restaurant on the back side of a strip mall when turning around while looking for a place to eat. Reservations are usually required, but it was the day after Valentine's Day and not so busy. After a long day in the car, we wanted something mild, so had a spinach salad and the spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were about the best I have ever gotten out - three huge pieces, but delicately spiced - not overwhelming. We could easily have split this entree. The spinach salad was tremendous with a nice warm bacon dressing - we did split it. We had New Zealand lager beer which went wonderfully with the meal. A great evening after lots of driving!

• Visited February 2012
Montgomery, AL
“Perfect In Every Way!”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is our favorite place to have a wonderful time. Everything we have tried on the menu has been delicious, and the presentation artistic. We especially love the lamb shanks and the jager schnitzel (very thin tender pork). The atmosphere is elegant, warm, and intimate. The service is excellent, and all of the staff, including Chef Michael, make you feel so welcome. There is an amazing winelist and a whole menu of martinis. We leave there wanting to return as soon as possible. Michael's Table is perfect in every way!

• Visited February 2012
California
“Delicious food that is fairly priced and served with gracious hospitality.”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We found a hidden gem in Montgomery. Located in a rear corner of a shopping complex at Zelda Place, this attractive restaurant immediately perks your appetite with wonderful aromas from the kitchen as you enter. It's not a large place so reservations are advisable. We didn't have one, and they couldn't seat us on our first visit, but, even as they turned us away, the staff was kind and helpful. A busy waiter came outside to recommend nearby alternatives for us while urging us to return. We made a reservation online and came back two nights later. We were impressed that the small, yet varied wine list offered all selections at $9 a glass or $29 a bottle. The standard menu plus daily specials featured both unique creations and down home fare. We split a perfect Spinach salad to start. My husband ordered a grilled shrimp over black bean cake dish that had great flavor with just the right heat and spice--would have made a terrific appetizer to share and it paired well with their driest Reisling. Yet, I had my own fantastic shrimp entree from the night's specials--Shrimp Mykanos. A delicately seasoned blend of meaty shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions over tender farfalla pasta. Oh, it was yummy. Being hungry, my husband also chose a pot roast special with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots. He said it was the best he has ever had. We also shared a dessert we felt compelled to sample--a coconut cream pie with macadamian nuts, white chocolate and a cornflake crust. It was great! We were treated like special guests, as was every other table. Michael, the owner, came out as we were finishing to make sure we were happy with everything. The entire experience was delightful!

• Visited November 2011