“El mejor del mundo (the best in the world)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Montgomery, AL
“El mejor del mundo (the best in the world)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have eaten Mexican food from San Francisco to San Diego and from Browsville to Key West. (Honestly, I don't particularly care for the Mexican food in Mexico?!?) I have eaten at this restaurant at least 50 times. It is the best anywhere. The owner/chef is Mexican culinary school trained --not some franchise hack or family recipe scrambler. Mole sauce is excellent. Pico de Gallo with avocado is fresh and tasty. Guacamole is somehow creamy and chunky. Chile rellenos are unique and enjoyable, especially if you are a cheese lover. The grilled sandwiches with their layers of veggies (I think more Cuban-spirited than Mexican) may be the best thing on the menu at lunch. [Don't go here if you don't like Cilantro.] Even the sweet tea (remember this is deep south Montgomery, AKA "the Gump") is just right. I'd recommend going before sundown and parking out front because the neighborhood isn't exactly Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wdj1066

Manchester, New Hampshire
“Not worth the trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I ate here while on business in August 2011 based on the high ratings on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed. Perhaps compared to other Mexican restaurants in Alabama, this is good, but compared to other Mexican restaurants around the US, you will be disappointed.
The salsa was OK, the chips were poor. The food quality was average to poor. Service was fair. Atmosphere - diner-style (TV running and owners children running too). Soft drinks only. If I return to Montgomery I will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Denver, Colorado
“Without a doubt, the best Mexican food in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

The details are what makes the difference. The ground beef is spiced to perfection. The salsas are well-blended and flavorful. Fresh cilantro even comes with the condiments (be sure to request!)

Do yourself a favor and come for the most authentic Mexican food around.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Montgomery, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By Far, the Best Mexican Food in Town!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and kids love the place. We feel blessed to have the opportunity to eat at El Cantaro when we do not feel like cooking at home. We are always greeted with a smile and the service is great. Best of all, this is not an expensive restaurant so it easily fits into our budget. Everything seems so fresh and we have never had a bad meal there. Our family always leaves full and happy.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank wareaglecaitlin
Montgomery, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I took my family to Taqueria el Cantaro for dinner last night and had a great meal. Everything was fresh and the service was speedy. We never had to ask for refills and the meal was delicious. Without a doubt, we will return as the entire family was pleased.

• Visited July 2011