“This hotel stinks-literally!”

Super 8 Montgomery I-65
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I found a 'Travel Guide' coupon for this hotel in the Alabama Hotel Guide (one of the ones you pick up at rest areas).
I called and talked to manager Tom on my cell about 90 minutes before my arrival late on a Saturday evening, & he assured me the coupon was valid.
Upon arrival, Tom claimed no knowledge of any coupon until I produced the coupon and mentioned that I had personally spoken with him about the offer. Suddenly all was well.
I asked for a King room with couch hide-a-bed, and Tom said he'd put us in one.
As we entered the room, we immediately smelled the foul smell of pet waste mixed with ALOT of non-effective deodorizer. We also noted a ceiling light fixture hanging by a wire from the ceiling, and the smoke detector also hanging from the wall by its connecting wire.
I went to the front desk and reported these problems. Tom didn't seem surprised, offered no apologies, but did agree to move us to another room.
As we entered the next room, we were hit with the powerful smell of stale cigarette smoke, although the room was marked 'non smoking'. The only other thing I immediately noticed was a plunger sitting next to the toilet. I can't recall ever staying in a hotel room that had a toilet plunger sitting next to the toilet. With the time approaching 11:30PM, we turned in.
The next morning we realized the reason for the left behind plunger-the toilet wouldn't properly flush without the assistance of the plunger. I also noted that the sink faucet was leaking badly-not a drip, but a steady drizzle.
As I checked out, I mentioned these problems to Tom. Once again, he showed no surprise and offered no apologies.
A few deficiencies in a hotel room I can tolerate and understand, but the apathy of the management when the problems are brought to his attention is inexcusable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank UncleRemus

Reviewed April 6, 2009

Was traveling back to Indiana. Came to this hotel by Travel Guide coupon. Boy working desk refused to honor coupon, but gave higher rate for AAA membership. "Choice Hotels Membership Privileges" didn't matter. Room smelled of fresh varnish, night stand and tables were still wet from varnish. Refrigerator did not work, Ice machine did not work. Was told, if I wasn't "Satisified" he would refund our money, and we could find somewhere else to stay. At check out, was still charged for "Non-Satisifed stay" even though they promoted "Satisifaction Guaanteed" Will never go back! Left a message for the Mgr. on Monday, and has still not returned my call. - Reported to Choice Hotels

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank DPJester
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Went in cold around 8 in the evening, and got a reasonably-priced, very clean room. Quiet night, good bed, plenty of space around. Standard breakfast opened earlier than posted (thankfully for us, as we wanted to leave by 6:30 a.m.) and the pastries were fresh, something that I've found less often than I'd like. Alas, only chain restaurants nearby but a very cheerful front desk staff that made us feel very welcome. It ain't the Ritz, but we were quite satisfied.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 26, 2007

It started out w/ being harassed by several young men from a 2nd floor window while my wife checked into the hotel. They were hanging out of the broken screen screaming at several people checking in. The clerk at the desk came out and straightened it out. She was accommodating but later on couldn't help us with suggestions for dinner saying she wasn't from that area. The hallways in this hotel must be 90 degrees. The room air conditioner malfunctioned (some kind of short) and the light above the sink didn't come on causing us to get ready in the dark. The fridge temperature knob was stripped causing no control. Positives were that the room was very large and the shower was nice. The morning breakfast had many items that seemed stale and the drink machine disbursed syrup with none of the water that should have been mixed in. Free USA Today newspaper was nice. The parking was plentiful and the grounds were nicely kept, although many of the screens on the windows were broken. The hotel directly next door is under major renovation and looks like something out of Baghdad. There has to be a better place in town to stay than this.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank Gatorzman
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I stayed at this Comfort Inn three times this month. The first time everything was okay, just a lot of wear in the room. The second time the same, except the pillows were way harder. But the last time takes the cake -- no hot water at 6:15 in the morning, no web access from the free "wireless internet" for which my computer showed a strong signal, plus the batter for the waffles at breakfast was way too watery. Plus I can't say I slept well any of the nights I was there. I've stayed at a bunch of Comfort Inns up and down I-65 between the Montgomery area and Mobile and this was honestly the worst of the lot.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business