“Short business trip”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay for one night at this location. Previous trip to Montgomery for work I stayed at the Embassy Suites because it was recommended and because I enjoy them in other locations. Unfortunately it was not the best experience, so this time I looked into other options. I found this Doubletree hotel and it was relatively the same distance to the office so I said I'd give it a try. Upon walking into the hotel I felt like I had made the right decisions. Just the look was welcoming. The front desk staff at checkin that afternoon, later that evening and upon checkout the next morning were extremely helpful and friendly. I had no problems with the room or anything, wi-fi, etc. Lobby bar attendant was extremely courteous and food was great as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thanks you Nicole, for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your decision to try us after having used the Embassy Suites on prior occasions. We do have a great front desk staff, eager to please and many of the ameinites offered by the Embassy (and Renaissance for that matter) are erased after then having to pay for wi-fi and parking. I also appreciate your comment regarding the food in the restaurant which is really superior to most of the restaurants in town as well as the hotels. Again, thank you so much for your comments.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel staff was excellent, the furnishings are beautiful and the hotel has a very upscale feel. The bar outside the lobby also provided excellent service and the food was obviously put together by an experienced chef. My husband, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and I shared appetizers over happy hour including grilled chicken wings and sweet potato fries. Both dishes far exceeded my expectations. The night I checked in my elderly mother-in-law was having issues with her television. I went to see if I could help and found the electrical outlet was malfunctioning, the tv only worked periodically as did the lamp that was plugged into the same outlet. She had already settled in and did not want to go to the trouble of changing rooms so she decided she could just watch tv in our adjoining living room. The morning of my third day I saw several cockroaches crawling across the floor in my room, I trapped one of them under a glass. I was completely disgusted and informed the hotel staff. They were able to move us to a new room and relocated all of our belongings for us. I also reported the issue with the television and light and they verified that everything worked in the new room. The next day a leak occurred in the ceiling outside the elevator on our floor, it seemed to be addressed quickly but a large noisy fan had to be left out to dry the carpet for over a day. At first glance the hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly and I would easily give an overall rating of "Excellent." Unfortunately, my experience with cockroaches, dysfunctional electrical outlets and lighting, and leaky ceilings gave the impression of a poorly maintained Motel 6. I hope these things can be worked out and improved, if they were I may consider giving this hotel a second chance. For now I am assessing them as "Average," though the negatives really justify a "Poor."

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to comment. First, allow me to thank you for your comments on the restaurant. It's an important component in the overall stay and I'm glad we exceeded your expectation.
Regarding the pests that afficted your room. I've had another reviewer mention that he had an issue with this. While I checked but couldn't find what he did, I checked the room you were in with our pest control person and did indeed find 2 examples of the type you referred to. At first, I thought they were cockroaches, but upon close examination with our technician, discovered they had wings and were actually water bugs, probably, (according to my Terminix rep) as a result of the particularly wet summer we had here in town.
I realize that is scant comfort. You came to the Hotel with high expectations and we failed to live up to them. I sincerely apologize. I've had the area thoroughly and meticulously sprayed and can only hope we got them all.
As alluded to earlier, we have had a particularly wet summer and occasionally leaks develop. It is somewhat gratifying to hear that our staff took care of moving everything and your gracious demeanor at having to move yet again is certainly a tribute to your patience and good nature; I understand your exasperation at having to hear a large fan outside in the corridor to dry the affected carpet after everything else that occured during your stay.
Diane, please contact me directly and I'll be happy to make these shortcomings up to you and your family. We try to get it right every time, but sometimes it doesn't happen as evidenced by your experience. I can only apologize right now but would appreciate an opportunity to show you how we would have wanted it to be for you and your family.
Thanks for letting us know.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great hotel, very clean and fresh. The lobby is beautiful and features a nice bar, open to the lounge area of the lobby. Although there were a good number of guests visiting the bar, we could not hear any noise in our room. I did wish a free continental breakfast was included in the price of the room. The entire staff was wonderful; very friendly and helpful. This hotel is located within walking distance of "The Alley"- a cluster of great restaurants and night spots. Within 10 minutes of Maxwell AFB.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you taking the time to write a review. We are proud of the lobby and the design integration of the Bar and Restaurant into the overall motif. The design also allows for people to congregate without creating the usual din associated with atrium lobbies.
Sorry about the breakfast, however we have recently reduced the pricing for our full breakfast and our hope is that our guests will appreciate the value the quality of our restaurant represents.
Proximity to Montgomery attractions and venues is one of the best features the Hotel has to offer and your kind observation of that is very much appreciated.
Staff comments are particularly valued and appreciated. Thank you for yours!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located and very, very clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in the area. Upon my arrival to my room, the air conditioning didn't work. The staff quickly came to take a look and switched me to a new room. The hotel is very clean and the amenities are excellent. The restaurant is a little overpriced but that is true of any hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of the Hotel. We have a fantastic executive Housekeeper (her name is AT), who transferred from the far east where she was the trainer for a 5 star hotel chain with properties from Thailand to China. She has assembled an extraordinary team of housekeepers that keep the hotel in excellent condition at all times. I certinly apologize for the A/C; the units are new and still under warranty and we do have an occasional problem, but they are quickly repaired (usually within 24 hours). The restaurant was a little pricey for Breakfast (alot more reasonable for the other meal periods), so we reduced the price of the Breakfast buffet from $13.95 to $11.95 (which includes Juice and Coffee). Same pricing for the Luncheon buffet (with non-alcoholic beverage included). Glad you found the staff friendly and helpful.
Thank you again for taking your time to write a review.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

If one needs to attend events at the Maxwell Air Force Base this is the hotel! It is within close proximity and the services provided and the value are well worth the stay. Each of the staff provided us with the utmost of comfort and service to make our stay enjoyable and rvrn allowed late check out to accomodate an Air Force function we attended.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. We have good proximity to Maxwell as well as all goverment offices and the downtown entertainment district. My sincere appreciation for the kind staff comments.
Thank you again and we'll look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Beautifully renovated Doubletree Hotel in downtown Montgomery, Ala. Very convenient to several restaurants and "The Alley". The lobby bar and restaurant is very good and never crowded. Breakfast is good but a little pricey unless you have a Diamond Hhonors level then it is free.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hi James,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We are currently looking at how to potentially incorporate breakfast into the room rate and make it complimentary for all. I think you make a valid point about the cost of the breakfast, but it's actually reasonable compared to our biggest competitor. Still, we recognize that many people associate complimentary breakfast with the price of the room and it is for that reason that we will be making changes to the method of delivery for this important amenity.
Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

we had a wonderful 2 day stay. the staff was great friendly and very helpful. the suite was very clean and comfortable. it was a great experience and we did not want to leave but work was calling. we will stay again for sure not only at this doubletree hotel but other doubletree hotels or at a Hilton hotel when we travel

Room Tip: nice area and quiet