DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Good Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel and staff are exceptional. They were kind and helpful. I really enjoyed the experience. It is also very close to most major venues in Montgomery. I only had a problem with poor internet connection.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello Arthur,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We love getting comments about the staff, though hearing people's reaction to the hotel (especially their appreciation of design and furnishings) is hard to beat. I apologize about the internet connection, although if you are a prodigious internet bandwidth user, just a word to the front desk will target and assign additional bandwidth to you and your devices.
Again, thanks for a great review!
Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Montgomery, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

It looks like this hotel was just remodeled. It looks nice on the serface. Everyone was very pleasant. I did ask for some toothpaste at the front desk and was told if I want some I would have to come down for it. This is the first hotel that did not offer to bring some up. Then to top it off I woke up to some pretty nasty roaches in the hotel room. I was totally mortified and told the hotel manager and he apologized and said he would deal with it. 1st stay at a double Tree and I am sure I will not stay there again

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review...I appreciate your comments about the staff. I find it appalling that one of our staff members refused to deliver toothpaste to you in your room regardless of the time you requested it. That is one of the most fundamental things our staff members do for guests and I apologize for our lapse in this case. Regarding the roaches in your room, this is the first i've heard of it...I was unable to duplicate your experience in that room, but did contact our pest control company and I had them go the room thoroughly. I was satisfied after walking that floor and going into the rooms that the problem was resolved. Again, my apology for your experience.
Madison, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Located in downtown Montgomery, AL the relatively new Doubletree Hotel was ideally suited for our travel needs. Just a short walk to the Riverwalk, restaurants and the ballpark, it was nice place to spend a weekend. Minor glitches at check-in, wrong room assigned (needed two beds not one) and the fact the front desk person gave us the wrong directions to the ballpark did not really impact the overall favorable impression of the hotel. They also have a nice breakfast buffet and impressive lobby bar. The staff was also very polite and professional, so the minor complaints aside, I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and provide nice views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bosox61
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the mix-up regarding the bed types needed and am glad we ultimately got it resolved. The Ballpark is only a couple of blocks, so there is no excuse for providing incorrect directions...We even have detailed maps featuring downtown points of interest and a "GO" board in the lobby with much the same information, so providing wrong directions is inexcusable.
On a more positive note, I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the restaurant and lounge, and as always, positive staff comments are the most importantly regarded. Again thank you for your review.
Alexander City, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at this property on business for the nights of August 5th and 6th 2013 and everything was nice and comfortable but the parking issues need to be addressed. The check in process was easy and fast and the staff was very accommodating. After checking in and making it to the room I was pleasantly surprised in the accomodations. Everything was nice and comfortable but there were a few minor thing that could improve this property. The rooms have no microwave (not that I was in need of one) and no refrigerator (which I would have used during my 2 night stay). The other issue I had in my particular room was when the air conditioner kicked on it sounded like a plane taking off. In defense of the staff I didn't make them aware of this issue but I am certain that other guests have. The major issue with this property was parking. When I asked the young man/bellhop when I got back in after eating where to park since all of the spaces were full he told me that there was additional parking under the hotel. I drove down there and got out from there ASAP. I would not leave my bicycle under there for fear it might get stolen or I might not make it out without getting injured. The lighting was terrible and it looked as if it had been flooded. Needless to say there were NO other vehicles under there either so I decided to take my chances and park on the road in front of a parking meter hoping I didn't have a ticket on my vehicle the next morning when I returned to it. If they get the parking issues taken care of then I would stay here again. It wouldn't be my first choice but overall it is a nice property.

2 Thank KABusiness
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We have 125 surface parking spots. There is also underground parking, but when we have heavy rain, (which it seems we have had all summer), our drains flow to city facilities, which sometimes are overtaxed. Despite 3 operating sump pumps in the lower parking level, we occasionally have large puddles. The lower level has pretty much been restricted to staff parking, and I can appreciate your reluctance to park there. There are also meters on the street in front of the property which are free after 4PM and not patrolled until 7AM the following morning.
I appreciate you mentioning the rest of your stay, which was apparently satisfactory. We do have microwaves and refrigetators in our King Junior Suites for future reference and the upgrade charge for these premium rooms is actually very reasonable.
The comments regarding the accommodating staff are especially appreciated.
Again, thank you for your review.
Linden, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has been recently remodeled and was very nice. The staff was friendly. The room was comfortable and the air conditioning worked very well! I was attending meetings across the street at the RSA Tower so it was very convenient. Not happy that I had to pay for self-parking.

1 Thank Denise P
Thank you for your review. thecomments regarding the staff are especially appreciated. We are convenient to many Montgomery buildings and attractions and the RSA tower is one of the closest.
Unfortunately, parking is at a significant premium downtown. Actually, I have had a number of inquiries from people working at the RSA tower as to our parking rates, since the daily rate for parking there exceeds the rate we charge for 24 hours with in-out privileges.
Again, thank you for your review.
Sterling, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

The staff really tried but severals rooms triggered my allergies and one room had a stained chair and missing lightbulb. Loud noises during the night kept interrupting my sleep. Not what you expect from a Doubletree Hotel. Also the area within a few blocks of the hotel does not offer much for dining.

1 Thank Renate A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I really have no idea what may have triggered allergies and this is the first indications I've had of this in 18 months of being in the Hotel (including 15 months of construction); I apologize that this caused you distress. As far as the stained chair and missing bulb, you don't indicate if this was reported or taken care of by the staff. We do have full time maintenence workers whose job it is to respond if there are issues with any aspect of your stay. I hope they were able to resolve these for you. I'm also at a loss to explain the noises you experienced which kept you awake that night. We also have a full time overnight security guard to address anything which could negatively impact a guest stay.
As far as restaurants in the area, within a three block radius there are the following restaurants:
Wintzell's - Casual Seafood
The Deli - Casual Delicatessen
Choices - Casual Chinese
Irish Bred Pub - Casual Irish Pub fare
Waffle House - 24 Hour Casual
These are in addition to our own restaurant, which is Casual American cuisine and well regarded in Montgomery.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a quick one night business trip. The hotel is quite nicely decorated in a modern tone. It is conveniently located downtown. It is within walking distance of several restaurants; however I chose to stay in and eat at the hotel restaurant. This restaurant was a completely pleasant surprise. The chef came to our table and made recommendations from the menu. They were great! Unfortunately, there were no other guests in the restaurant the entire time we were there (dinner and breakfast). Perhaps the fact that the front desk staff did not push their own restaurant, choosing to tell about local restaurants does not help. Toot your own horn! This restaurant was terrific!

The room that I stayed in was just fine for a business trip. Although I did not use it, having a suite with a small kitchen was nice.

My only real disappointment and true aggravation occurred during checkout. On my bill I noticed a parking fee. I had mentioned that I did not have a car when I checked in (used a taxi from the airport). I asked for the fee to be removed as soon as I went down for breakfast. Apparently there was no manager in, so the front desk clerk could not correct the charge. He promised it would be corrected and emailed to me. I found this weird, as this is a time of day when someone with authority to correct bills at checkout is most needed. As I sat waiting in the lobby for my taxi, I could not help but hear at least three other customers complain of the same charge. When I did not receive my email I had to call twice. (This is important because I needed a receipt to be reimbursed by my company for the entire bill.) Only when I threatened to call my credit card company to refute the charge did I almost instantly receive the corrected receipt via email. I was told this was a mistake of the night auditor and it had already been fixed on my bill.

Despite the aggravation, everyone was super-friendly from the front desk staff to the restaurant staff. The stay was pleasant up until checkout. I do think that I would accept the bill error and extra time spent to correct it as a one-off and stay again when in Montgomery.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite. It is large and pleasant to stay in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank olivia22
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm not entirely certain how we came to charging you for parking, but I certainly apologize for the mixup. We should have made the adjustment at the time of your departure. Believe me, though we certainly didn't want a mistake like this escalating to having to call your credit card company, our primary motivation was in making sure it got corrected and off your bill. Having said that, I want to thank you for your comments regarding the staff and the restaurant. I have shared your comments with the Chef and our Food and Beverage staff members.
Again, apologies for the parking charges and I hope to see you again.