“Poor Service, Dirty Rooms - I guess that's why it's cheap.”
Review of Garden Inn

Garden Inn
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Poor Service, Dirty Rooms - I guess that's why it's cheap.”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Starting with a flippant, could-care-less attitude from the front desk clerk to the dirty, poorly-cleaned rooms, this place is a 'never again' for us. Far, far off from LaQuinta standards (and we probably stay at LaQuinta's at least 15 - 20 nights a year - maybe more). Maybe they have to settle for poor quality employees in this area, but now that I know this, I'll stay elsewhere. Saving a few bucks isn't worth putting up with front desk personnel that treat you like you're a big inconvenience to them, or maids/housekeepers that apparently don't know the meaning of clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I stayed here for a night during a recent road trip and was really delighted with the place. It was super affordable, so I waited until I could look at the rooms in person before booking. It was located right off the freeway, but I didn't notice the noise in the room. Everything was clean and it nicely furnished - I was surprised actually at how nicely furnished it was.

The staff member I checked in with was really helpful. He printed out directions for me to get around town with, which is pretty standard but I didn't necessarily expect that from such a budget place. They had a pool that was very busy with families. When I checked out the woman working at the desk was very friendly and helped point me in the right direction for the rest of my road trip.

All in all, a really great deal for a very comfortable room! Oh, and free wifi.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Franklin, North Carolina
Reviewed August 17, 2010

New furniture, excellent linens with an actual duvet! Flat screen TV, foyer-like entry with laminate flooring, nice carpet... really an excellent buy for the money! Only two problems: toilet/tub area is VERY small and the plug next to the sink did not work. Therefore, the hair dryer did not work. But all in all, a really great stay! Hubby was in Montgomery for school, so I tagged along. If you have time, explore downtown Montgomery's riverwalk and the Hank Williams Museum! Oh, and the hotel is just across the parking lot from another LaQuina... sort of confusing. Staff at the other hotel were very helpful, though, and told us how to get to the other LaQuina. :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Pell City
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is not the best place to stay if you want to sleep or swim in the pool. The pool was scummy and they didn't stop people from keeping others up till 4 a.m. The air dripped all night and soaked the floor. There was nasty sweaty drug money hidden in the coffee maker and boxers behind the toilet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Birmingham. AL
Reviewed May 18, 2010

If you see a motel with a rate of less than $40 in this day and age, particularly with a large event nearby, you'd probably be more than a little leery. I was, but I knew from personal experience that this La Quinta had undergone a major renovation, because I had tried to stay there for the same event last year - and it was closed because of flooding. So knowing that this property had a recent makeover and that it was a major chain, I took a chance - and it worked out very well.

The room was very clean, and the beds were as comfortable as I have had in any hotel. We arrived early, and I had my older mom with me, so they put us in a handicapped access room. That was a plus, as the shower had a hand-held shower head on it - nice.

Downsides: Sound insulation was poor - we could hear anything that anyone walking by said. The breakfast selection was mediocre at best, but for what you save on the room, you could hit the breakfast buffet at Shoney's two blocks away.

A Shogun Japanese restaurant is next door, a Denny's is next to it and a Waffle House is across the street. Numerous other restaurants are within a three-block radius.

I've paid a lot more for a lot worse. This was a great deal. I will be back.

(Note: There are two La Quinta Inns next door to each other. This is the one styled like the original La Qunitas in the Spanish Mission style. The other is a former Baymont/Budgetel property that La Qunita got in the Baymont purchase a few years ago. Both of these properties are operated by the same franchisee.)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel looks freshly renovated. From the flat screen TV, to the pillow top mattress, everything was great!

This LaQuinta is right next door to the other one - but I got this one for $35 per night with AAA. What a steal!!!! This LaQuinta has outside corredors - which I usually do not like when I travel alone. However the parking lot is very well lit, and I felt safe. Even though my room faced the busy street - I never heard any noise.

For dog owners - take a room on the road side as the grass is right across the parking lot. The other Laquinta has less grass and interior corredors.

Some mornings the breakfast area was packed and other mornings I was the only one there. The milk is in individual boxes, which made it easier to take back to the room. Off brand cereal in the prepackaged bowl, toast, individual wrapped muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, a machine with orange juice and apple juice and a large bowl of fresh banannas and oranges. So a basic breakfast.

Shower was great, they have thin towels but for the bargan price I paid I did not care. Coffee maker and ironing board in room. One morning the maid had forgotten to replentish the coffee, the front desk staff appologized and gave me 2 packets.

The only problems I saw was that its spring and there is a ton of pollen and leaves in the air and they were in the pool. I wasn't there to use the pool so didn't bother me a bit. And one coke machine was out of order - but again no problem for me.

Really great service, great rooms and for the price a steal.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Cornwall
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Our room was ok, some friends had stained sheets on their beds, one had a very smelly room, they left the door open for a time to air the room out. The reception area houses the breakfast area, our advice is get there early as its only very small. A few tables and chairs, Hot coffee and cold buffet breakfast. Hard bolied eggs, yoghurt and selection of cereals and danish pastries. The hotel complex is over two floors with two lifts and plenty of stairs for guests to use. Over the road is a filling station and a waffle house right next door for something to eat. Each room has coffee making facilities and iron and ironing board & hairdryer. Recommended for an overnight stay on your way norht or south.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends