“Why do other people rate this place so bad ?”

SureStay Hotel Montgomery
Ranked #42 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I am a 56 year old male road warrior and am familiar with staying in 4* and 5* hotels and fly premium class.

I like La Quinta - they give you a decent standard of accomodation at a budget price.

I stayed at this Montgomery location for 1 night 4/25th - with a Spring 2009 20% discount I paid $36.00 + tax.

Yes, it is an older type motel with external doors - personally, I prefer this if I'm in work-mode. It's located just off the interstate and is easily visible. The 2nd floor room had 2 comfortable beds, clean carpet and clean bathroom, and looked out of the car park of this and the adjoining LaQuinta. The sun set came into the room and was wonderfully relaxing.

The breakfast is free and accept it for what it is - free. If you want more than there is, there are plenty of eating places within easy reach. For me a bowl of raisin bran, 2 hard-boiled eggs and a good green apple for the road is all it takes to keep me happy for breakfast.

The front desk at check-in and check-out seemed more preoccupied with their work than customer interaction - bur show them a smile and some good body language and it's surprising how they change towards you.

The free high-speed internet worked quickly and without any problems.

Other reviewers appear dissatisfied at this place - I can only comment on my own stay and say it was good value, especially with the 20% discount, and even without the discount I'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for SureStay Hotel Montgomery

Reviewed October 5, 2008

The two LaQuinta properties in Montgomery are actually right next door to each other, separated only by a Japanese restaurant located between them. We made a reservation on the LQ website for the East Blvd location but pulled into the wrong side of the parking lot and accidentally tried to check into the Carmichael property. So please keep this in mind when reading reviews about the two locations. East Blvd is an outdoor corridor motel and Carmichael is an indoor corridor hotel.

The front desk staff members at East Blvd were all very pleasant, but it was annoying that they couldn't locate the other couple we were meeting in their computer, especially since our friends had already checked in the night before. We should have been able to just use the house phone to meet them in the lobby, but we had to use our cell instead and for some odd reason, AT&T has barely one-bar reception at this property that kept interfering with our plans for the whole weekend as we all played phone tag with each other.

The purpose of our trip was to see the Trace Adkins concert at the Alabama National Fair, and other fans had discovered that the East Blvd location had better prices than the Carmichael building. The rate listed on the LQ website certainly seemed fair enough, but what the confirmation e-mail doesn't tell you is how high the taxes really are. It really irritated me that instead of $88.20 shown on the e-mail, the hotel really charged my debit card in advantage for over $101. I wanted to switch to cash pre-payment at check-in, but by the time I got to the hotel, it was too late and they had already trapped the funds in my checking account. At first, I assumed that this was one of those pre-authorization deals like at the Choice Hotels chains where they take an automatic extra 15% in case you have any incidental charges, When I found out that this was the actual price at checkout, I challenged it, but the desk clerk said it was because of 12% taxes. The other couple apparently didn't have this issue because they got a special deal on Expedia which required the entire stay be prepaid in advance. There is a prominently displayed notice in the lobby of this property warning guests not to use their debit cards because of this practice, but if you've already reserved via the LQ website, it's too late by the time you get to the hotel, so buyer beware!

As for the room itself, it was large and pleasantly decorated. The bedding was very comfortable, great pillows. There were enough cable TV channels to keep us entertained. There was a pool next to our room that we could have used without interference if we'd had time. Continental breakfast is offered, but it's the usual array of defrosted bagels, cereals and concentrated juices; nothing too exciting but it sufficed.

The concert itself was a fantastic event and definitely worth seeing if Trace Adkins comes back to Montgomery. By the same token, if LQ keeps low prices at this location, we would stay there again. Next time, we'll just plan accordingly, that's all!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BuickMackane
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I think some of the other reviewers may have this hotel confused with the La Quinta that is just down the road. We had two rooms here on different floors. Both rooms had terrible, very old and uncomfortable beds. Both rooms had roaches. We had to request a different room at first because there were so many roaches crawling around. The room we moved to only had a few (which is still too many). There were a number of undesireable people milling around the parking lot and on the balconies even at midnight when we arrived.

This is probably the worst place I have ever stayed and I have travelled quite a bit from coast to coast.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We did not enjoy our stay here..We are from out of town and the room appeared too closed up for years. Spiders were clawing around the room near the bed where I was lying. No internet service was available as advertised when I book the room. The advertisement stated inside and outside pool, (Did not find an inside Pool) internet, clean spacious rooms. I inform the front desk about the spiders; he told us that he did not know if they had "spray". Later he said they would put in a work order for the following day. I have allergies and don't care to be around fumes but scared to stay the night. I would demand my money back, however I allowed my budget for this price and I am confined to an insect infected room. The pillows were uncomfortable and I was also told to walk across the street to use the computer in order to have access to wireless. The water in the sink stands while in use. That’s unsanitary never would have booked this place if no internet was available. That’s false advisement. I do not plan to stay at another Laqunita Inn/Suites again. I book this place online. I have never been so dissatisfied in life. This was a business conference and I will inform other educators of the unsanitary rooms and unsafe room. I could not find another place at this short notice for the same price. I really would like my money back and LaQunita to repair this place and stop advertised items that’s not available.
LaQuinta
1280 East Blvd.
Montgomery, AL 36117-2231
[--]

reservations@laquinta.com

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2008

This is an older LaQuinta. Two main problems, if there is a microfrdige then bring your own extension cord because all the outlets are taken. The other, more severe problem is that if you're not up and in the shower before everyone else, sorry, no hot water.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2007

This hotel had a nice, spacious room. Outside door was convenient for loading/unloading Christmas presents. We were disappointed that the Cracker Barrel was closed down, but the Burger King up the road was open. We didn't try the breakfast, so no comment there. There was plenty of room to take the dog out. Recommended

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Stayed here on a trip to Florida. The rooms have outside doors and are old. This is the 2nd time we stayed here, using an oniine bidding service. With it you make a bid and get a room without picking the place.

The bathroom sink was slow to drain and AC was noisy. I was glad we didn't really need it. Rooms seemed clean and the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: November 2007