“Better than I expected”

Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I travel 4 days a week but somehow I have never stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn. When I walked into the lobby other guests were enjoying cocktails and snacks. I was greeted as if I was expected by the woman who checked me in. The room was very nice actually it was better than nice. Everything was new, I had a desk to work a recliner to put my feet up and a kitchen to eat in. After staying at other hotels this was a warm welcome for a weary traveler. The room had internet but you have to connect using an ethernet cord and as I was at the back of the facility I was near the highway so if you are very sensitive to noise you might want a room closer to the front of the facility other than that those were minor issues as the bed was super comfortable and room very clean. I would definately stay here for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We spent one night in the Residence Inn Montgomery simply because it was convenient to the appointments I had the next day. The woman who checked us in was very pleasant, and because of my platinum status, upgraded us. The suite we were given was clean and we didn't experience any problems. However, the decor is very tired and doesn't look as if it has ever been updated. We are not persnickety travelers, but for those who are, you'd probably be better off at a different property (tvs are older models/no flatscreens; caulking in tub appeared old; furnishings/flooring older.)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JMRN
Gwen B, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

I agree that our property had grown tired. I am delighted to let you know that we have recently completed a renovation that has greatly enhanced the look and feel or our hotel. The renovation included all of our guest rooms and public space. We added all new stainless steel appliances in our suites as well as new TVs and other furnishings. I hope that you will visit us again should your travels bring you to Montgomery, AL. I am certain that you will be pleased with the improvements.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

We made reservations in August for a family vacation. Even though this was a stop on the way to Panama City Beach, we were excited about the 2 - 2 bedroom suites were we reserving for that night.....looking forward to the fireplace and being together. We even reaffirmed our reservation 1 week before leaving to make sure we had 2 - 2 bedroom suites reserved, with extra pillows, towels and 1 pack n plays in each of the 2 - 2 bedrooms suites.......I was assured that "yes" we had the reservations and they were on the ground floor, because my husband and I are both handicapped.......We arrived at 3:20 pm on December 25th, 2009. My husband went in to get our rooms, and was told there was no 2 - 2 bedrooms available on the ground floor.........so as I stated why bother to reserved a room when they just give it away???????? Perry was the only one working, and he worked really hard to try to fix, what was broke, but we couldn't get the rooms were reserved, so ended up with 4 Studios with no fireplaces, and no extra pillows, towels, and no pack n plays.......Perry was the only one working, so he could not do everything, but someone should have done a better job of saving our rooms.....We got there 20 minutes after check in started.........we should still have had our rooms...we will not recomend this place, if you want to reserve a room........

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank campers23
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Stayed for a week. In that week, the sheets were never changed. The coffee, creamer and popcorn in the basket in the kitchen were never replenished. Housekeeping came 3 times in the week.

The first few days, they said they didn't come because I had a "no service" notice on the door. In fact, it was a "Do Not Disturb" sign, and I took it off by 10 AM. I assumed that they would come in after the sign had been taken down, but instead, they took it as a sign to never come in during the day. I stopped putting it up altogether and they didn't come in until late afternoon. I was in the room during one of the cleanings, and I got questions like, "Do I need to vacuum?" I overheard other guests talking to management with a similar problem, so I know it's not just me.

Overall, the room seemed clean, though in my room, the linoleum in the bathroom looked like it had seen better days. The fireplace doesn't seem to be functional, but it's too hot to use it anyway.

The upside is that the rooms are quite large. The kitchen has the essentials, including an electric stove and oven, basic low-end cookware, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker and dishwasher. There is a swimming pool, but if you want to use the gym, you need to drive 5 minutes to the Planet Fitness where they have a contract. The laundry room was very busy when I wanted to use it. The free breakfast was adequate: cereal, waffle maker, pastries, eggs, sausages. The internet is free but by cable only -- there's no wi-fi access in the rooms. Only one computer can be plugged in at a time. There's no restaurant or bar in the hotel, nor any room service.

You will need to drive to get anywhere. The hotel is far away from downtown and there are no sidewalks along the street. If you don't mind walking on the street, there are some things nearby, including a park, a bowling alley and fast food.

Overall, it's fine but for the service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Stayed a couple of days with five people so we needed a bigger space since we were traveling with teenagers and they offered a two bedroom suite. Room was great and clean, but after the first day they didn't come to clean and we found out we had been timed out of their system for some unknown reason. By the time this was discovered it was too late in the day for anything but towel exchange. We found this out because we couldn't get in the room our keys wouldn't work ,this after we had gone out and visited family and expected to come back to a clean room.. It was fixed, but the room WE cleaned...The outside of hotel needs updating and painting. the pool area was nice and we used it and enjoyed it. The food at breakfast was good and the desk person was pleaseant. Frankly, it is not up to the Marriott Residence Inn's I've stayed at before.Long in the tooth.. Recommend , yes, but with reservations.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed here when we went to my nieces's graduation from Auburn.
We waited to long to get reservations closer to Auburn.
We were very happy with our stay of 2 nights.
Good room, clean, needs a little updating.
But a very good value.
$99.00/night.
For the same price 2 of my sisters had a 2 bedroom suite w/fireplace.
My dad had a room like ours.
I would recommend it and would stay here again.
Quick access to interstates and plenty of restaurants nearby.
I don't reccommend the nearby mall.
Also a continental breakfast that was comparable to most hotels in this price range.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We were very disappointed since this is owned by Marriott. It was dirty (dust, fingerprints on kitchen cabinets, spots on walls, dirty drawers). There was paint peeling on the woodwork. The bottoms of the tubs were discolored. Had a hard time getting something other than feather pillows. Staff not very professional or helpful. Dresser was 50's vintage.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family