“Used to be nice but NOT ANYMORE”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here in December of 2013. It was our 2nd stay at this hotel. We went specifically at the request of our 4 year old who wanted to return b/c she loved the indoor heated pool so much. Her birthday is in December and she requested we go to the Zoo and stay at this hotel so we could all swim for her birthday. We get there, suit up the 3 kids, and troop down to get a swim in before dinner - there are approximately 30 ten year olds (a visiting youth sports team) running from the hot tub and cannon balling into the pool then back to the hot tub. The pool heater is broken and the water is freezing - hence the migration back and forth from the hot tub. The yelling and screaming in the enclosed space is deafening. Management came in once, told the kids to quiet down, get out the hot tub and the 3 chaperones to keep them from running, Then management disappeared and never came back. The kids went back to acting like maniacs. My kids could not swim. No adults could use the hot tub b/c there were 10 kids in it :( We left, went upstairs to get get ready for dinner and had to request a new bedspread - it had a really gross stain on it. Management cut me off when I was trying to explain what I needed with a "What do you want Honey." Rude. And then after tucking the kids in the sofa bed we had to use our sound machine for them that we had brought for our baby to drown out the shouting and yelling from the central atrium where a football game was being watched by about 20 gathered people - 4 stories down right below everyone's room. It was awful. We will not be staying there again. It's a shame b/c we had a great visit with them 4 years ago - just not the same management I guess. I wrote to the company but have never gotten a response.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Brendan E, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues with the pool and the noise in your room, and will work with our team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,014)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Every once in a while we come to this hotel with my parents because there aren't many hotels that have both indoor pools and hot tub plus complementary drinks and breakfast like Embassy Suites. However several times we came here we could not enjoy the pool and hot tub because the pool is freezing, (should be heated) and the hot tub was smelly and no more than lukewarm. Despite complaining numerous times to the management about it the problem does not get fixed. The motel apparently has poor maintenance that does not check pumps and filters and get them changed, especially since they have huge crowds of people sometimes crammed in the hot tub. Just like our air was not working properly either in our room. The reason is the management does not get to work and call the maintenance to immediately fix the problem. I say Embassy Suites charge too much for the motel when the lack of service decreases the value.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the right side and on the top floors have good view of the river
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marion M
Brendan E, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback. I do apologize for any trouble the hot tub or pool caused during your stay. I want to assure you that was not our intent. During this time we did have an unexpected issue with our pool heater, the issue was addressed by management and a third party was required to assist with the repairs. I want to assure our guests these repairs have been made.

We look forward to the opportunity to invite you back. I would be happy to speak with you offline regarding your experience.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The hotel is in a nice location on the river and has large rooms including a bar sink and refrigerator. I consider this hotel average because everything about it is dated -- the room, the lobby, the bar, and the restaurant -- all evoke memories of days when the decor choices were popular (they aren't now). It is really in need of any update. The food at the breakfast bar was fine, not spectacular, just fine. Coffee was subpar. The lunch buffet left a lot to be desired. It was difficult to make any health choices thought the price was low. My dinner was decent and came out quickly. Bottomline: an overhaul of this property is overdue.

Also, many reviewers thought the staff was not friendly or helpful. That was not my experience. The front desk staff were attentive, helpful, and friendly. I had dinner at the bar and thought the bartender was similarly attentive and super nice to me. Same for the staff at the little restaurant during the breakfast and lunch buffets.

Lastly, I on a positive note, the fitness room had enough equipment that was in good condition (treadmills, a multi-weight machine, mats, and free weights).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We do value your opinion and comments. Our staff takes pride in our product, services and quality. We are pleased to hear the staff met your desired expectations. We will also share your food and beverage comments with our leadership team; we plan to overcome any short falls you may have encountered and exceed expectations upon your next trip. Future travelers please plan to expect the Embassy Suites Complimentary Cooked to Order breakfast every morning, offing hot and cold buffet items and a cooked to order omelet, eggs, etc..

All current photos and descriptions of the property can be found online. We hope you take some time to check us out. Over the past few years and years to come projects and upgrades will continue to happen as we continue meet all the standards related to being an Embassy Suites.

We look forward to the opportunity to showcase our hotel to future travelers to Montgomery.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was traveling on business. I had my wife and 4 year old with me. As I got out of the car the door men were hanging out with the front desk staff. No big deal. We arrived around 2:15. I was told that my room would not be ready until 3 PM, because that was check in time. No apologies like other hotels. But that's fine, hotel rules are made for a reason. I was told to sit in a chair and wait, like I was in trouble or something.
I sent my wife and kid to the indoor pool to swim. At 3 PM I returned to front desk and was told that rooms were not ready- "check back in 20 minutes." (again, no please or we are sorry).
At 3:30 I checked back with the front desk, I was told "check back in 15."
At 3:45 my wife went to check and she was told "no."
At 4 I called the front desk using the swimming pool phone. I was told "check back in 20 minutes."
Sometime around 4:30 (which left me 40 minutes to get to the room and get unpacked for my 5PM meeting), a lady walked into the pool and said, "Mr. _ _ _ _ _ _ _!(my last name)"
I responded, "Yes, mam."
"You need to come see me at the front desk."
I looked at my wife and said, "Am I in trouble?"
The staff member said, "No, for check-in." and left.

After we checked in, we spotted outside our door a 2 vending machines- 1 for drinks 1 for snacks. It was for "premium guest"
When I booked my room online, I booked the following (this is copied and pasted from my receipt):

" 2 Rm suite - 1 king corner premium room no smok...Includes wifi-24 hr refreshment center access...Comp cooked to order brkfst-evening reception - advance purchase savings, nonrefundable "

BUT my card did not work when trying to get my little girl a snack. I called the fornt desk and was told, " Those machines are for premium guest, you aren't a premium guest we just put you in that room because we were full."
I told the lady that I made my room reservation almost two months in advance, and that I DID in fact book a premium room. She argued with me and said no you didn't. Then shortly said, "Hold on!"
I sat on hold for 12 minutes (at which I began to think they were seeing how long I would hold), she ten returned and said, "Ok, you can have the code, it's 5437...."
I couldn't find a pen in time to even write it down.

The room had numerous black hairs, one in the sink, one on the toilet, and one on the side of the bathtub.

What is wrong with this hotel?

Clearly this is a management problem, because EVERYONE I encountered had an attitude.

Never again. My worst hotel experience.

1  Thank TheKrispyK
Brendan E, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We are also working with our housekeeping staff to ensure that cleanliness is of the highest priority.

We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Everthing was great but it appeared that the only way you could get internet was to pay for it. I, fortunately, had an ATT account and got internet free. Internet ought to be free for guest with what you pay for a room there. I rate the value as average based on that.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Brendan E, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We are glad you selected our hotel. I do apologize for any miscommunication.

All Hilton Honors members visiting our location do receive complimentary wifi. If you are not a member we can get you signed up for this free membership program so you can start enjoying the benefits immediately. Non Hilton Honors members are subject the internet fee.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and being a road warrior for both business and personal travel I have NEVER been treated so rudely by a front desk staff or front desk manager. My father in law is ill we needed his room, yes we checked in early and told that his room would not be ready until 3 pm but at 3:30 it still was not ready, we got so many mixed messages from he front desk person (Lisa) that I knew I was being lied to, so I went to the room that I had been told he would be registered in and asked housekeeping if they could please speed up its cleaning (they were very polite). I was so upset that I called Hilton Guest Assistance for help since the hotel staff would not get me the manager. Brendan England the manager did call me back, and expressed his concerns, but now I read all of the other reviews about his rude staff and how concerned he is, but he does nothing but talk the talk with no substance behind his words, he told me he would do something nice for our group as we had party of 5 rooms at his hotel for several nights, but nothing materialized. So Mr England you can comment on all of these bad reviews but if you don't mean them please don't post them.

Other comments - standard Embassy suite room, dated but ok, bedding is nice, bathrooms have been redone with showers but the lack of doors causes the floors to get wet (modern but messy)

Breakfast is good (Charlie you are very sweet) and the happy hour is decent for an Embassy.

Overall not a bad hotel ~ but the lack of concern, help, guidance or service by the front desk and management is the worst I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Across the street at the Mariott Hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TheWanders

Thank you for your recent stay and review. I do apologize for the delay in getting the final room available upon check-in. As discussed, this was a unique day as we had several groups in house, some with late departures. I am not making any excuses now, as I did not then. It is our responsibility to have your room ready at 3pm, and I want to apologize again there was a delay in getting your room checked in by 3:30pm.

As we finalized our conversation I expressed that we could not rewind the check-in experience but could positively impact the remainder of your stay. We offered an amenity to your room; we discussed sodas and an amenity tray which was delivered. I do apologize for being under the impression that we had worked to your satisfaction (understanding the check-in difficulties), which is always our goal.

I would be pleased to speak with you offline in more detail regarding your stay.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I am down in the Montgomery area once or twice a year and used to stay at this hotel and loved it but the group I meet with when I go down starting staying at another hotel in the area. I decided to skip the discounted rate at the other hotel and again stay at the Embassy since the price when you count the complimentary breakfast was comparable. I remember why I loved it so much. The room was clean and comfortable, check-in was easy and the staff was always friendly and helpful. Breakfast was crowded but everything was kept stocked. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

You found your way home! Thank you for returning to our location! We are glad to have you back!