“Embassy Suites has it all”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed June 15, 2011

You're probably tired of reading how Embassy Suites offer an outrageous breakfast, true 2 room suites and (depending on local liquor laws) a more than adequate managers reception.
Since Montgomery was on our travels heading back home towards NY, we decided to stay a night and catch a Montgomery Biscuits baseball game. I'm glad we did.
Check in, which I'm sure is usually quick took a while. There seems to be no set desk, but 3 'kiosks' with or without clerks to check you in...it's somewhat unclear if you make one line or stand in front of a kiosk and wait to be called... There was an Officers Graduation that night at the hotel across the street. Our lobby was filled with so many uniforms, it was a sight to see and one that makes you proud to be in the USA.
The hotel atrium held some fountains and nice foliage. The hotel itself seemed well maintained. The middle part of the atrium is host to the Managers reception and also breakfast. There is a gazebo in the center and smaller tables surrounding the gazebo.
It did take awhile to get the first round of drinks for those staying at the hotel. The line became so long that they added another bartender. What I neglected to ask about was the bar adjacent to the gathering area where we were. It was open and served 'name' brand liquor, but for a fee. It was the first time I've been to an Embassy Suites where they had both, a 'free' managers reception and a full service bar where you paid for your drinks. Granted, some people insist on a certain brand of vodka, scotch, beer, but we were happy with free well drinks for 2 hours. Snacks were nachos and salsa and pretzels. Our room was near the elevator and at first I thought it was going to be loud, but our part was quiet..the elevator banks actually blocks the noise coming up from the atrium. We stayed next to a corner room, and yes, corner rooms are a bit larger than a standard king bedded suite (our neighbors let us take a peek).
There was a plunger outside our door when we got off the elevator, and the next morning we realized why.....the toilet 'took it's time' flushing. The other thing that really concerned me was when we opened the window in our bedroom (yeah--fresh air!!!), it opened all the way. Window openings were on the bottom of the windows, just off the floor. No screens, either, which meant, it could be pretty easy for someone to fall out, both my concerns were reported...the window stopper just needed to be screwed back in, hopefully our room was the only one with that issue. Our walk in shower was perfect with water pressure. Clean room, comfy room...all was good.
Our room faced the parking lot and we watched the comings and goings of the Officers heading out to their graduation. We also had a small view of the river and could see a ferry(?) boat or 2. You're also close to train tracks, which means you do here train whistles and the trains themselves, all part of Americana. The Ballpark was 2 blocks from the hotel.....we had fun at the game and ate a chicken and biscuit with "Alaga" syrup..a syrup made so local that when I asked if it was 'local', someone pointed down the road and said 'it's made just over there!"
After the game we went to Dreamland BBQ which serves it's magic till 11pm. The bar/restaurant has a very easy feel to it....it's the type of place that if you want to chat with strangers at the bar for an hour, you can, or, if you want to not to a word,that's ok too.....the BBQ was fair, but I would give it another try.
The hotel is located downtown. There is the visitor center located just to the side of the hotel, which is a must see for anyone in town. We were greeted and welcomed like they knew us forever. You can tell the lovely staff is extremely proud of their city. And they should be, we took a ride through town on our way out and can see why, so much history! We hope to return to Montgomery and this time stay longer and enjoy the city and Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 2toots
tdq1az, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Thank you so much for responding. I'm glad you saw the justifiable pride we take in our city and especially our downtown. There are so many great things happening along the riverfront that if you haven't visited within the last several years, the changes are very dramatic. There are significant changes to our hotel also; upgrades throughout as part of a $2M renovation...Again, many thanks for your comments and we certainly hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 11, 2011

It was our first time in Montgomery and our stay at this hotel left a positive and memorable experience for us. The staff were friendly and professional. We treat our dog as family, so we truly appreciate that this hotel is pet-friendly (they allow medium sized pets with max wt. 25 lbs.). The room we got was very clean and spacious. Aside from, the Cooked-to-Order omelet and pancakes, which we all enjoyed so much, the breakfast buffet choices are extensive (cereal, fruit, yogurt, bacon, sausages, pastries, French toast, bagels, coffee, juice, milk, etc.)
They also offer complimentary cookies and juices in the lobby and complimentary drinks at the bar in the evening.
We took the time to enjoy the indoor pool and jacuzzi too!
We wish all Embassy Suites were pet-friendly, because we will choose to stay there over other pet-friendly hotels.

Room Tip: Book early.Be patient if room's not ready.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This hotel obviously attracts a lot of families but goodness knows where the parents are.
The rooms are fine and as they are suites you can shut most of the noise out. Breakfast was fine but I can't remember why I didn't have dinner here. There is an Italian restaurant just down the road which gets very busy and a seafood restaurant nearby too. I went to this one and very good it was too. Donna who I think runs the place served in the USAF in England, where I come from so we had something to talk about with me coming from England too. You can check your emails and go online free at the hotel which is good. I thought the most noticable thing here was how safe it felt to be out at night, so it's perhaps another plus if you have children.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ericBournemouth
tdq1az, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your comments and while we consider ourselves "Kid and Pet" friendly, there are occasional times when parental supervision is lacking. It doesn't happen often and I apologize for your experience in that regard. You are certainly right in that Downtown Montgomery has come a long way in the last several years. It is safe and with the new number of restaurants, cocktail lounges, minor league baseball stadium, cultural museums etc., Montgomery has become a great venue. We appreciate your visit and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

We arrived late ish - around 9:00 pm. There was a serious lack of disabled parking, like maybe four spaces outside the "gated" parking area. All handicap spaces were full, so when we checked in I asked the clerk about additional handicap parking. She then offered me a "parking decal" meaning access to the gated parking area. She said I'd have to use my room key to access the gate, but she NEVER mentioned the $6.00 + tax fee. A small quibble but I was not given the info I needed for informed consent. There *is* free parking but everything close enough for handicap was taken.

The room we were given was fine, but the A/C never did get the room cooled properly. The large beautiful atrium was quite cool but our room stayed less than cool all night despite our running the A/C on HIGH all night long. Bathroom amenities included TWO hair conditioners but no shampoo, something I didn't discover until I was about to get in the shower.

Very nice hotel, but complimentary breakfast doesn't start until 7:00 a.m. and we had to miss it because we needed to be on the road by 6:00. In room coffee maker was adequate but again, skimpy on the coffee supplies (sugar, creamer, etc.). It would have been nice just to be able to grab a bagel or banana before we hit the road.

Wasn't able to connect to wireless internet; was forced to use cellular data for my iPhone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueTortilla
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed here after we found out the Renaissance was booked. A belt on our car went so we had to wait for the part to come it. The lady at check-in was nice and gave us a discount because of our car trouble. The room was fine, some of the features were old, such as the cabinetry in the kitchenette, but the 2nd floor is being renovated, so that will probably be changed. The 2nd floor has a roof view, so if you want something to look at, request a higher floor. The bed was super comfy and was the highlight of the room! There are two nice plasma tvs, but it must be satellite TV because the signal was jumpy. The room was clean and overall a good place for a night's sleep. We ate at the attached restaurant and had great service. The food was pretty good, but very pricey for what you get. There is also a bar and a very tiny gift shop (the lady working was very friendly). My only real complaint is the $10 fee for using the internet. We needed to access the AAA website to find a form and I wanted to get it out of the way. The last thing I wanted to find was a screen telling me I had to pay for internet. I didn't even know hotels did that anymore!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eleona01
tdq1az, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding our staff...Yes at the time of your review, we did not have a high definition Television signal but, we do now. Our Bathroom renovations have been completed and our furnishings updated. We have always had the most comfortable beds. These changes make for a happier staff and better overall guest experience. Again thank you for your comments.
Tom Quatrochi

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel before staying at another one across town and was very disappointed and ANGRY!!! This is the second time I have had a BAD experience involving an Embassy Suites hotel. HILTON REALLY NEEDS TO RE-TRAIN THESE FOLK!!!! First of all, the check-in was horrible. No one's room was ready on time and then the front desk staff seemed they were mad because they had to check people in..(their job!!!). On top of that, because of ongoing construction in the hotel,we had to change rooms and were sent to a floor with so much paint smell, that I almost passed out. It took 3 more room tries before they got us a fairly decent room!!!! And the smiles were nowhere to be seen. They acted like it was our fault!!! Then everyone had to leave the hotel one morning because of a smoke alarm going off because of the construction wires smoking!! Wow. After 2 times, I won't stay at another Embassy Suites!!! The first bad experience was with front desk and cleaning staff at the Embassy Suites on Woodcrest in Birmingham,Al!!! I had to write the Head of Hilton in Beverly Hill!!! They made SURE everything was taken care of!!!! And we also had a problem with the bad attitude of the young lady at the bar!!! Can you believe it!!! The manager Genieve(hope I spelled her name right) was very good at handling the situation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I want to sincerely apologize for the front desk experience. We had several issues which rarely occur. We had a huge group (which sold out the Hotel) checking out; and then the a sold out Hotel checking in. Coupled with the Bathroom renovation, it made it challenging for our staff and i apologize for the experience. This is not typical. While we are often sold out, we rarely have this circumstance to contend with. I hope this experience has not soured you on Embassy Suites as a company, as they truly are a great Hotel company and really endeavor to please every guest. We fell short of your expectations and Im sorry.
Tom Quatrochi

Reviewed January 14, 2011

I've read a number of older reviews on here that complained about the TV's, among other things. I am happy to report that our room on December 29, 2010 had two new flat-panel HDTV's. There was, however, no HD programming available. As for the rest of the room, we have no major complaints. Very spacious room with comfortable beds. The linens and curtains looked in good condition (maybe new). The bathroom could use a makeover but it was clean. Only problem was the A/C fan which was ridiculously loud when set on high. Fortunately, the noise is in the living room area so you can close the door and drown it out. Bad if you're sleeping on the sofa bed, though. Front desk staff was very nice and recommended some good restaurants in the area. The complimentary breakfast satisfied everyone in my family. All in all, this was a great hotel to stop in during our road trip with a great price on Priceline.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We have upgraded all 500 TV's in the Hotel and have also made the following improvements; every Bathroom in the Hotel has been completely remodeled with significant upgrades. We have also completely upgraded all the furniture in the Hotel suites; in addition, we have made improvements to our Restaurant, Lounge, and meeting space. We appreciate your patronage. Thank you again for your review.