“Great Butcher and Wine Merchant; Lunch is o.k.”

Derk's Filet & Vine
Ranked #25 of 488 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Derk offers prime graded meat on the counter, where elsewhere it's by request only. Good selection of fish as well. If the review were for butcher shop or wine and beer merchant, I'd give it the highest rating. But as a restaurant it's hard to get enthused. The hot food lunch counter is only average. Previous reviewer noted well that after about 1:30, the meats and vegetable are dried out. There are better 'meat and threes', but not really in Montgomery. Southern cooking of this type is always better and more authentic the smaller the town. It's convenient to downtown and the interstate and best choice in a limited area.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

The food is really good. They have a large selection of home-cooked Southern vegetables. The cherry cobbler is awesome! The prices, however, are a bit high. I've never had lunch there for less than $10.00.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

I like finding unique places when I travel, and this one fits the bill.

My friend and I each got shish ka bobs that were pre made, and they cooked them for us. We each got several of the home made sides, baked potato casserole with bacon and cheese -yum! Macaroni and cheese, my friend got the cabbage which was fantastic, I wish we had gotten the cobbler for dessert but we were too full. Big serving sizes. We had to wait awhile for them to cook our meat but it was well worth the wait, so tender and flavorfull.

The tables are in the grocery store, there are a few tables out front of the store. Nothing fancy but well worth it. The wine shop now charges a $10 fee for the wine tasting so we skipped that, and many bottles were $20-50 range.

My Garmin took me through a beautiful neighborhood on the way to the restaurant, big beautiful homes and gardens. On the way out -Garmin took me to a main street that was a direct shot to the highway - but its also a very bad end of town and the projects.

Maybe that is why they close early.....

I would go again the next time I'm in town!

Reviewed February 12, 2010

You can go to the butcher, wine shop, grocery store, and enjpy a great meal all under one roof. They have a wide variety of meats from fried chicken and pork chops to salmon and grouper. They also have plenty of veggies m favorites are the new potatos and brocolli and cheese casserole.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

Absolutely outstanding, an unexpected delight. It is a grocery store, no a butcher, no a buffet, no a wine store, no a casual eating spot - ----- its all of the above and more. This is not your five star, tablecloth, waiter kind of place. A small grocery store with a meat counter where you pick you meat out, they grill to your taste - and have some great sauces. The you pick out vegetables from a buffet (southern style - well cooked and wonderful). You can bring your own wine (no corkage) or buy from the adjoining wine store. This is a grocery store so the ambiance is not that of purpose built restaurant. The folks know their stuff and care about your food.

The wine store was outstanding -for example they had a complete vineyard selection of Ken Wright's Pinot from Oregon. I live part time in Portland and you can't get that kind of selection there. Very knowledgeable .

Four of us spent 60 bucks TOTAL for filet mignon meal (not including wine) - about the same we spent at the airport for sandwiches.

The hours are lousy. They close at 6:30pm. On a five day trip we went twice. the last time we showed up at 6:15 --- they did seem to hope we would be fast