“Great and Unique”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Orlando, Florida
“Great and Unique”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I like finding unique places when I travel, and this one fits the bill.

My friend and I each got shish ka bobs that were pre made, and they cooked them for us. We each got several of the home made sides, baked potato casserole with bacon and cheese -yum! Macaroni and cheese, my friend got the cabbage which was fantastic, I wish we had gotten the cobbler for dessert but we were too full. Big serving sizes. We had to wait awhile for them to cook our meat but it was well worth the wait, so tender and flavorfull.

The tables are in the grocery store, there are a few tables out front of the store. Nothing fancy but well worth it. The wine shop now charges a $10 fee for the wine tasting so we skipped that, and many bottles were $20-50 range.

My Garmin took me through a beautiful neighborhood on the way to the restaurant, big beautiful homes and gardens. On the way out -Garmin took me to a main street that was a direct shot to the highway - but its also a very bad end of town and the projects.

Maybe that is why they close early.....

I would go again the next time I'm in town!

Montgomery, AL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“#1 lunch spot in town”
Reviewed February 12, 2010

You can go to the butcher, wine shop, grocery store, and enjpy a great meal all under one roof. They have a wide variety of meats from fried chicken and pork chops to salmon and grouper. They also have plenty of veggies m favorites are the new potatos and brocolli and cheese casserole.

Portland, Oregon
“Wow!”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Absolutely outstanding, an unexpected delight. It is a grocery store, no a butcher, no a buffet, no a wine store, no a casual eating spot - ----- its all of the above and more. This is not your five star, tablecloth, waiter kind of place. A small grocery store with a meat counter where you pick you meat out, they grill to your taste - and have some great sauces. The you pick out vegetables from a buffet (southern style - well cooked and wonderful). You can bring your own wine (no corkage) or buy from the adjoining wine store. This is a grocery store so the ambiance is not that of purpose built restaurant. The folks know their stuff and care about your food.

The wine store was outstanding -for example they had a complete vineyard selection of Ken Wright's Pinot from Oregon. I live part time in Portland and you can't get that kind of selection there. Very knowledgeable .

Four of us spent 60 bucks TOTAL for filet mignon meal (not including wine) - about the same we spent at the airport for sandwiches.

The hours are lousy. They close at 6:30pm. On a five day trip we went twice. the last time we showed up at 6:15 --- they did seem to hope we would be fast

montgomery
“Not so great”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

The lunch offerings are served cafeteria style from a steam table. They are pretty good.

However, the same foods are left on the steam table all day, and if you come for supper you'll get dried-out meats and limp vegetables.

1 Thank foodmontgomery
Montgomery
“Best meat and 3 + butchershop + wine in the world”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

What can I say about Derk's that hasn't been said. The meat and 3 buffet is slap your momma good. The made to order sandwiches are too. The selection of cut meats, micro-brew beers, and other gourmet side items in the freezer are simply the best in the South.

It's funny because every walk of life comes in to sit down and eat - senators and yard men, junior league and minor league baseball players - and somehow it all fits.

If your from Montgomery and havent been - or need somewhere "cool and local" to bring an out-of-town guest...this is the spot.