“Excellent local and picturesque lunch choice”

Derk's Filet & Vine
Ranked #24 of 466 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Excellent local and picturesque lunch choice”
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Driving thru Birmingham decided to have a non-corporate chain, non-roadside local lunch experience. Arrived at 2 pm into this grocery-butcher shop-high end beer and wine store offering a salad bar, hot and cold sandwiches, and southern foods in a mini-cafeteria style setting. Sounds a little weird but it is a great casual setting with tables next to big store windows and in the store hall between shelves. The main courses included T-Bone steak, fried chicken, and a few other items. Your selection comes with 2 sides and choice of roll. Wife ordered the T medium rare with broccoli and cream corn. She thought it was the best steak she has eaten, quickly pointing out that my steaks were excluded. I had the fried chicken and it was also excellent, perfectly cooked, not greasy, and very moist. For sides, I chose the yellow squash soufflé and the sweet potato soufflé. While I found the latter a bit too sweet by itself, my intention was to use it as dessert and it served as a great dessert when accompanied with the excellent corn bread. As far as I could tell, everyone else eating were locals and some regulars. In fact, there was a large group of uniformed police officers and other individuals eating at a long table in heat appeared as a regular occurrence. They have an incredible selection of wines and beers from all over the world. Great place for an excellent home-cook style meal. As a plus, we got to drive thru some interesting neighborhoods.

Montgomery, Alabama
“Great meat'n three”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is an excellent meat'n three with a meat market, imported beer and wine, etc. located in Old Cloverdale.

Visited May 2012
Virginia
“great lunch counter place”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

always quick and delicious!! they always have a line wrapped around the counter...nice fresh selection of greens on their salad bar too...this is a local's favorite, but not only can you get good fresh southern fare, but also do your wine and grocery shopping in their store

Visited January 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
“Hot food bar closes at 3:00 pm”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Inside a little specialty food store. Went there recently with my dad while we were visiting Montgomery because I had read great reviews about their hot food selection (sort of like a meat & three). The website did not specify what time they stopped serving the hot food bar, and I tried to call several times to find out with no answer. We got there about 3:15, and it was almost all put away. They fixed my dad a plate from the scraps they had left and heated it in the microwave. On the other hand, I ordered a roast beef sandwich and it was super delicious!! I just wish we would have known to be there by a certain time . They should put that info on their website.

• Visited January 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
“Wow. Blown away!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We went into this place after it was recommended to us for lunch. It is what they call a Meat and 2 or Meat and 3 around Montgomery. Couldn't have been more happy. Service with a smile and the food was like home made. This is not just a restaurant though. This place also sells some serious steaks, wine, beer, and other assorted food stuffs. We had the pleasure of meeting Derk while in the store. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Our steaks we purchased from him after lunch were bacon wrapped filets. We grilled them for dinner and they were AMAZING!! Derks even has their own brand of seasoning that we can highly recommend as well. The best kept secret in Montgomery, AL is Derks Filet and Vine. Coming from New England to find a place like this is a blessing.

Visited December 2011