“Disappointing”

Country's Barbecue
Ranked #233 of 488 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our first visit to this restaurant. Service was very good - the server was very friendly and prompt. The ice tea arrived in mason jar glasses and it was quite good.
The BBQ did not have much flavor and it was dry. The BBQ sauce was not particularly good, but needed to save the dry BBQ. A side of mac and cheese was rather bland, but the baked beans were tasty. My husband's side of fried green tomatoes arrived after the entree, but it was good. We shared the assessment of the pork BBQ being bland and dry. Entrees come with cornbread. There is an extensive menu, so perhaps other dishes are better.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

i ordered the combo chopped beef and pork with ribs and my 2 sides were mac and cheese and potato salad. i was not impressed AT ALL. where to start neither the pork or beef was not good. they both were tough. i couldn't tell how good the bbq sauce was because they didn't give me any. the potato salad was very bland. it tasted like straight mayo and potato and nothing else in it. the mac and cheese was good tho. dont waste ur money here. the staff seem to have there own problems not one of them was friendly at ALL

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Whenever my mother and I head down to Pensacola, FL for a weekend to visit my father in the nursing home, we always make two pit stops in Montgomery, AL. Our first stop is at a nearby Wal-Mart to get gas for the car, take a restroom break, and if needed, stock up on anything we've forgotten. Our second stop is on the other side of I-85, which is Country's.

The food is excellent. Their tea is the best tea we've ever had. The atmosphere and decor will remind you of an old-fashioned barbecue or Southern food restaurant, with tin signs dating back to the 40s, 50s, and 60s pinned up everywhere. One of the most interesting things is the beverages are served up in Mason jars. Only one other restaurant have I ever been to did that, and that was Po Folks back in the 1980s, before they changed their name to "Folks".

I've noticed some people posting poor reviews about the dry 'que. This is how BBQ is supposed to be served. This allows your customers (or guests, as the case may be) to add as much or as little sauce as they wish, and the type of sauce they may add. I find a generous amount of the mild sauce, followed by three (no more, no less) crucial drops of Tabasco sauce, when stirred in, makes for excellent barbecue.

I also highly recommend the chocolate chess pie. It's essentially a chocolate-pecan pie, and it's to die for!

My only complaint is one particular server. It seemed like every time my mother and I go there, we would get her. She always got our orders wrong. She writes them down correctly, but she always ends up giving my mother my order, and hers to me. Otherwise, the food is excellent, the staff friendly, and even if it's your first time, they treat you like regulars.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

The staff is friendly and helpful and the food is really good. I have been eating there for years and have never had a bad experience. It is always very good and very clean.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Years ago, this was one of the best, now it's poorly staffed with stale food choices and dry BBQ. Even pouring on the sauce can't hide the overcooked chicken or pork. Time to close the doors on this joint.