WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #28 of 448 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Montgomery, Alabama
“Good for a chain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Always enjoy the food here. Service is always good. Wait is worth it. Good wine choices. Not very romantic but always good food

• Visited September 2013

Morrisville, North Carolina
“Very Nice Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I ate at Bonefish with my mom and sister one evening after a day of visiting in the hospital, and we had a delightful meal. We were all pretty tired, and our server was very informative, gracious, and patient as we made our meal decisions. Although I don't remember what we ate, I remember that we all left satisfied and refreshed after the dining experience at this Bonefish location. In addition to the excellent service and good food, the atmosphere was well done and calming too.

Montgomery, Alabama
“One of Few Good Restaurants Open on Sunday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Bonefish Grill is a high-end chain seafood restaurant in a convenient location at Montgomery's outside mall. The decor is typical of other restaurants in the chain with comfortable seating in a large open dining room or smaller bar. It is open seven days a week, which means it's, unfortunately, one of only two or three nice restaurants open Sunday evenings. That's the main reason we dine there, because we patronize local establishments almost exclusively. Fortunately and surprisingly, Montgomery has one is the best seafood restaurants in the Southeast, but for scheduling reasons, we dine at Bonefish occasionally. When we do, we are generally pleased with our meal. However, Bonefish Grill's menu is surprisingly limited with no regional seafood. From time-to-time however, there are some exceptional items on the menu. Recently for example, one featured entree was authentic Maryland crab cakes. They were excellent, and I enjoyed dinner very much. I will watch for the crab cakes, and items such as wild Alaskan salmon, and take advantage of these specials. Finally, service is generally ok, but it is can be slow because each waiter seems to have a high service load, particularly Friday through Sunday when the restaurant is very busy.

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Dinner out in Montgomery Al”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

First night in Montgomery, me, my daughter and grandson simply wanted to get out of travel mode and followed the advice of the locals and weren't disappointed. Quiet atmosphere,no T V's (yay!)' we feared on dishes of fish, chicken, salads that were exquisitely prepared, and oh, so tasty. Situated near Auburn University Montgomery, and a shopping area that stretches on and on, this is a good place to go for a somewhat pricey but enjoyable night out in this city, home to many Civil Rights actions.

Houston, Tx
“Restaurant in decline but still good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having dined at the Montgomery location of this chain numerous times over the years and more recently at the Houston location, my feeling is that Bonefish Grill is a once-great restaurant that has slipped a notch.
We made reservations for 4PM on a weekday at the Montgomery location (reservations not required but recommended during peak times). I didn't make a big deal out of it, but with an almost empty restaurant at that time, they seated us at the very first table closest to the door.
Later I wondered what the maitre'd would have said if I asked her if she would like that spot if she was dining. Anyway, we were seated and well attended. Crab cakes and bacon-wrapped scallops were delicious, but the salad received a thumbs-down for not being fresh (Mom described it as tasting "old").
I ordered the shrimp and scallops and had no complaints. My parents ordered the trout and filet mignon. The filet was ok, nothing spectacular, but the trout was absolutely horrendous.
When they brought it out I knew there was something amiss: fresh fish doesn't look flattened out and thin (frozen?), sort of like a flounder would look. Dad complained that it was "full of bones" and ended up taking it home (that was two days ago and there it sits in the fridge, so I'm sure it goes out in the trash today, lol). My eight year old had the chicken tenders child's plate and no complaints there. The waiter re-filled his lemonade cup numerous times without delay.
By the time we left, the place was crowded, and after a few chardonnays Dad ended up forgetting his reading glasses on the table. Quickly realizing this after driving away, we turned around and were back at the counter within 10 minutes, but the glasses were not found after checking with the waiter, bus boy, and manager's office. You can imagine that this soured the experience a bit, but we couldn't really blame the restaurant since it might have been a patron that picked them up. Yesterday we called the restaurant to check again, and they had turned up.
We had planned on driving up (an hour's drive) today to pick them up, but were pleasantly surprised when they offered to mail the glasses to us at their expense.
This last part I mention just to say that the service remains exemplary. The food quality has slipped a bit evidently. We brought my brother the "Bang-Bang shrimp" as a to-go order, and it seemed different from what is served in the restaurant ("just fried shrimp" in his words).
On a past visit I became sick after eating the Chilean sea bass, so there's a bit of a negative vibe now for us, and for the price one expects much more in terms of quality and portion size.

• 2 of 5 bubbles