“A Little Smelly”

Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Alabama
“A Little Smelly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have stayed here before and have enjoyed it. I was given a room on the second floor facing SAM's Club on the west side. They have large bright lights in the evening (all night). Finally found a clip to make sure that the curtains stayed together to block out the light. There was a large spot on the carpet in front of the room. The whole second floor had a smell I could not quite identify but it was not pleasant. Guess it needs a good scrubbing. Otherwise, the personnel continues to be quite helpful and cheerful. I especially enjoy the complimentary popcorn that is located in the foyer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gonzdom
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Montgomery, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip thru Montgomery and for sharing your comments. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced with smell, and stained carpets. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations in every way, and your comments help us to achieve that goal. We have put a plan in place for treating carpets on a continued basis, and we are actually treating and cleaning carpets today in response to your feedback.
Thank you again, and we hope to see you the next time you are in Montgomery!

Janet D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Batavia, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Let me start by saying that we are big fans of Drury Inn. But not this one. We stayed here one night in February. We reserved a nonsmoking room and the staff was friendly. But upon entering our room we could immediately smell cigarette smoke. The smell was not strong initially and we attributed it to some previous guest breaking the rules. We decided to live with it. As night approached the heat kicked in, the room was filled with the smell of cigarettes, and it became clear that the odor permeated the whole ventilation system. I took a walk through the halls and found that the smell was strong throughout the hotel. I could not stand the smell and actually went out to our vehicle to spend the rest of the night. It was 30 degrees outside.
The next morning I found a sign on the door saying that smoking was not allowed anywhere in the building! Yet the space between the inner and outer doors was full of cigarette smoke.
Obviously the management of this hotel is either not willing or unable to enforce the no smoking policy, or to manage a decent ventilation system. I rank this nights stay as one of the 5 worst hotel stays of my life. Drury Inn should either fire the management or disown this property.

Room Tip: Do not say at this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank james123136
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Second night traveling with 2 dogs. Again, good exercise area, not fenced off, but away from the road. Had dinner and drinks at hotel. Basic food, that they call snacks, but you can make a basic meal. Clean, quiet rooms. Again, they charge $10 extra for pets, but that's cheap compared to different hotels I looked at.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Perfect stay. I've been impressed with each stay that I have had at the Drury chain, and the stop in Montgomery was no different. Missed the evening cocktails and food, but was able to get the breakfast in the morning. Better breakfast than most continentals.

Next time I'm in Montgomery, I'll have an easy choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Decatur, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent the night at the Drury recently while in town for business. I have stayed there a few times before. It is nicely appointed with spacious rooms. As with all Drury Inns, breakfast and nightly drinks with light food is included.

The dining area is very homey with standard breakfast fare. At night 3 drinks are complimentary. What sets the Drury apart is the complimentary food from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. On our visit they served baked potatoes, hot dogs, chicken wings, nachos with cheese, salad, pretzels, and potato chips. It is enough to make a meal! There is also popcorn in the lobby!

While we were enjoying our appetizers and drinks, the general manager, I think his name was Kirk, came by to check on us. He also came by the next morning at breakfast to check on us and take our plates away. He was very attentive and friendly.

Over all it is a good place to stay and is a bargain for what you get.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Hrpamw
Oakville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is an amazing chain. They offer a complimentary dinner which consists of hot dogs type food but plenty of choices and in the morning they offer a breakfast that is complimentary and amazing. They also offer two (2) complimentary alcoholic drinks when you check in. The staff are extremely friendly, the rooms very clean, the hotel is also very clean and pet friendly. Yet there is no pet odour.

I will search out this chain whenever I stop!!

Room Tip: We were there when there were kids from a hockey tournament staying there and the hotel staff made s...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Coldspring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

The weather was lousy, we were tired and in a strange city. We had our little dog. We called a different national chain noted for being "Pet Friendly". Their national 800 number was less than helpful. We called the Drury. We had a room for us and the dog, in a matter of less than a minute. We got excellent directions and arrived at the hotel withing 15 minutes. Barbara, at the front desk was professional, welcoming, friendly and an absolute angel. Traveling would be so much nicer if there were more people like her working at hotel front desks. The room was well appointed. The beds were comfortable. The breakfast was sumptuous. In short it was an excellent stay and my wife and I slept very well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple