“Can no one here smell the cigarette smoke?”

Drury Inn & Suites Montgomery
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Batavia, Illinois
“Can no one here smell the cigarette smoke?”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Let me start by saying that we are big fans of Drury Inn. But not this one. We stayed here one night in February. We reserved a nonsmoking room and the staff was friendly. But upon entering our room we could immediately smell cigarette smoke. The smell was not strong initially and we attributed it to some previous guest breaking the rules. We decided to live with it. As night approached the heat kicked in, the room was filled with the smell of cigarettes, and it became clear that the odor permeated the whole ventilation system. I took a walk through the halls and found that the smell was strong throughout the hotel. I could not stand the smell and actually went out to our vehicle to spend the rest of the night. It was 30 degrees outside.
The next morning I found a sign on the door saying that smoking was not allowed anywhere in the building! Yet the space between the inner and outer doors was full of cigarette smoke.
Obviously the management of this hotel is either not willing or unable to enforce the no smoking policy, or to manage a decent ventilation system. I rank this nights stay as one of the 5 worst hotel stays of my life. Drury Inn should either fire the management or disown this property.

Room Tip: Do not say at this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank james123136

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Kalamazoo
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Second night traveling with 2 dogs. Again, good exercise area, not fenced off, but away from the road. Had dinner and drinks at hotel. Basic food, that they call snacks, but you can make a basic meal. Clean, quiet rooms. Again, they charge $10 extra for pets, but that's cheap compared to different hotels I looked at.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Midwest
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Perfect stay. I've been impressed with each stay that I have had at the Drury chain, and the stop in Montgomery was no different. Missed the evening cocktails and food, but was able to get the breakfast in the morning. Better breakfast than most continentals.

Next time I'm in Montgomery, I'll have an easy choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent the night at the Drury recently while in town for business. I have stayed there a few times before. It is nicely appointed with spacious rooms. As with all Drury Inns, breakfast and nightly drinks with light food is included.

The dining area is very homey with standard breakfast fare. At night 3 drinks are complimentary. What sets the Drury apart is the complimentary food from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. On our visit they served baked potatoes, hot dogs, chicken wings, nachos with cheese, salad, pretzels, and potato chips. It is enough to make a meal! There is also popcorn in the lobby!

While we were enjoying our appetizers and drinks, the general manager, I think his name was Kirk, came by to check on us. He also came by the next morning at breakfast to check on us and take our plates away. He was very attentive and friendly.

Over all it is a good place to stay and is a bargain for what you get.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Hrpamw
Oakville
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is an amazing chain. They offer a complimentary dinner which consists of hot dogs type food but plenty of choices and in the morning they offer a breakfast that is complimentary and amazing. They also offer two (2) complimentary alcoholic drinks when you check in. The staff are extremely friendly, the rooms very clean, the hotel is also very clean and pet friendly. Yet there is no pet odour.

I will search out this chain whenever I stop!!

Room Tip: We were there when there were kids from a hockey tournament staying there and the hotel staff made s...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Coldspring, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The weather was lousy, we were tired and in a strange city. We had our little dog. We called a different national chain noted for being "Pet Friendly". Their national 800 number was less than helpful. We called the Drury. We had a room for us and the dog, in a matter of less than a minute. We got excellent directions and arrived at the hotel withing 15 minutes. Barbara, at the front desk was professional, welcoming, friendly and an absolute angel. Traveling would be so much nicer if there were more people like her working at hotel front desks. The room was well appointed. The beds were comfortable. The breakfast was sumptuous. In short it was an excellent stay and my wife and I slept very well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Another good Drury Inn. Good beds and room was comfortable. Breakfast offered was well stocked and had many selections expected at a Drury Inn. Check in went very well. Overall a good place to stop if traveling through the Montgomery Alabama area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family