“Sometimes you just gotta laugh...”

Drury Inn & Suites Montgomery
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Montgomery, AL
“Sometimes you just gotta laugh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Let me start by saying we LOVE Drury Hotels. Their slogan "the extras aren't extra" is one of the main reasons we choose Drury - the free snack supper and cocktails, breakfast buffet and late check-out are big pluses for a 3-star mid-price hotel. The rooms are nice and clean, beds are comfortable, and amenities usually more than adequate. My only quasi-complaint about any of those this visit was the skimpiness of toiletries provided - just soap and shampoo (no lotion or conditioner) - and a moldy water stain over the bathtub. A little Kilz would fix that. These minor issues aside, we've never had a bad experience at Drury. Until now.

I know Montgomery isn't the best place to find genuine southern hospitality, yet this Drury does much better than most. Customer service here is, generally speaking, an oxymoron. It's a rare individual in this town's hospitality industry who seems to truly appreciate his or her job and understands, respects and accommodates the expectations that job entails. It's hotel management's responsibility to make sure their staff DOES understand and appreciate the expectations required, and this Drury does that fairly well. Every staff member we encountered was courteous, professional and accommodating.

No, the problem here wasn't the hotel staff or the accommodations - it was the other guests!! There were several large groups staying - a girls' softball team and their families, what appeared to be a large family reunion, and then a sorority gathering of some sort. You'd think most of these fine folks had never stayed in a hotel! They swarmed like locusts over the complimentary snack supper and breakfast buffets as if those were their first and last meals. After they left the dining area looked like a hundred kindergartners had been turned loose - spilled food everywhere - on the buffet counters, on the floor and on every table. To complete the experience, a LARGE number of guests came down to breakfast wearing their PAJAMAS - adults and children alike. Good grief!

My husband and I were having some work done in our home and had planned a "relaxing weekend" away from the mess. Yet we couldn't swim in the hotel pool or use the fitness center because of all the unsupervised teens and t'weens, couldn't enjoy the complimentary evening kick-back or breakfast buffet because of the barbarian horde that overtook the dining area, and we endured all this with full knowledge that their group rates allowed the guests who ruined our weekend to do so for half the cost we paid! Awesome.

Best advice to potential guests? Before you book this Drury check to see if there are large groups staying. If so, stay away. Best advice to Drury? Maybe you could put a "Street Clothes Required" sign in the dining area, provide some crowd control during serving hours, and require parental supervision at the pool and fitness center. Just a thought.

Room Tip: No views. Hotel is on a heavily trafficked thoroughfare with a Sam's Club in the rear.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Montgomery, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
We appreciate hearing from our guests and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay at our property in Montgomery. Your comments have been shared with the proper departments in regard to your experience with some unruly guest and lack of action by our team members. It is our mission for guest to enjoy a comfortable and clean stay. Your comments will help us work to achieve these goals. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here on a trip over spring break. The area was nice and the rooms were clean and spacious. The location was fine. I chose Drury because I have kids, and we enjoy the kick back snacks and drinks in the lobby.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Sullivan, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stopped here on our drive to Florida. While there we wanted to look at some of the Civil Rights history and the ladies at the desk were great. They gave us directions and a whole packet of information. When we came back later they even asked us how we liked it. The staff at the kickback and breakfast were also great. In addition to great staff, this hotel was nice and clean with a great evening meal which they call their kickback and a wonderful breakfast in the morning. My boys both told me I should rate this hotel well.

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

My family stayed here just for one night on the drive back to KY from Florida. I wish I could have stayed longer. I had never stayed at a Drury Inn before, but I chose this because of their pet friendly policy and reasonable price. I was impressed the minute I walked in the door. The place looked much more like an upscale 4 or 5 star hotel than a mid level chain. It only got better, the two room suite was actually more like a small apartment, with a separate kitchen area with a table and chairs, a den area with a couch, recliner chalr, another plush chair, desk and a flat screen tv. The bedroom had 2 queen sized beds with another flat screen T.V and a separate closet, and the bathroom was large and all marble. This was the largest hotel room I ever stayed in and it was only $107.00 a night. (with no extra pet fee) In addition they provide a kick back dinner, 3 cocktails per adult in the party and a large sensational hot breakfast platter. I am hooked on Drury Inn chain now, and I look forward to visiting again. I would highly reccommend this hotel for its service, amenities, room quality. etc

Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

This Drury Inn was a great stop for our 2 day trip eastward from Texas. Family of 5 in a 2 queen suite with sleeper sofa was very comfortable. The free dinner and breakfast at Drury Inn was very convenient. This hotel also had a very large grassy area that our dogs loved.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a fairly reasonable priced hotel to stay with our two young children on our drive to Seacrest Beach, FL. I booked this hotel online for $70! We were happy with the hotel overall. The rooms were nice sized with a microwave and small fridge (one issue was the fridge was not cold and I had milk for my 3 month old!! thankfully I had my own cooler). We didn't make it in time for the 5:30 snack hour but it seems like a great idea. The breakfast was ok and was included in the room price. I was impressed with the 37 in. flat screen t.v. and the updated bathroom. Overall, we'd stay here again for that price!

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

The hotel overall is brand new - BUT, like most of the South hotels/motels, the housekeeping is less than good.
My room was clean except when I turned down the bed and found - not a little - but an entire section of bedding soiled with fresh/dried feces. Yes - not pretty.
The management didn't seem too concerned even when they came to see it and also admitted that they were very surprised how the maid just made the bed with this in it.
Moved to another room which was better - but bath was still not "Drury Clean". I wasn't offered a discount or refund at all - which should have been done.
I stay with Drury everywhere I travel to on business and cannot compliment the chain enough - they have NEVER been bad. But they need some serious housekeeping / management improvements here. I most likely will not stay at this Drury again.
It pains me to say that and it is all too bad.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank td397
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Montgomery, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
We appreciate hearing from our guests and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our Montgomery hotel. Your comments have been shared with hotel management to follow up with the appropriate departments. It is our mission for guests to enjoy a comfortable and clean stay and your comments will help us work to achieve these goals. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.