“Rude Employees & Messy Food Line”
Review of Genghis Grill - CLOSED

Genghis Grill
Cuisines: Mongolian
Auburn, Alabama
“Rude Employees & Messy Food Line”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had high hopes for this place. My husband ordered one size larger bowl than I did, yet the server brought two bowls the same size. He tried to tell us that they were different sizes which was really insulting but then brought a larger bowl for my husband. So then we went through the line to select our veggies, spices, and proteins. That line was messier than a neglected cheap buffet - and we could see why: the people in front of us were trying to jam as much food as possible into their bowl and piling it much higher than the tops of their bowls, thus spilling over onto the countertop and floor! And it was obvious they weren't the first ones who were doing that, judging by the amount of food all over the counters and floors in the line. After the line is the grill where you surrender your bowl to one of the cooks. My husband waited and watched while our food was grilled and transferred to the serving dishes. Once again, both of our meals were placed into the same size serving dish, even though my husband had ordered the larger size! So we asked again about this and then the manager, like the server earlier, tried to tell us they were different sizes and we just didn't know what we're talking about. Impossible to imagine that this is how customer service is supposed to be! Very turned off by this experience and will not be returning.

• Visited March 2013

Auburn, Alabama
“Love the concept.....”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have eaten in one of these type restaurants in Atlanta area and loved it. My husband and I were excited to go and stopped by the previous month and the restaurant was too full. This month we planned to go early and avoid the line. We arrived around 4:30 pm and were greeted by a very exuberant greeter.

This is what I liked:
(1). Greeter had great energy and was very nice (not typical for Montgomery).
(2). We were seated quickly.
(3). Our waitress was very nice and was really detailed about how to go through the line.
(4). Loved the recipe cards that gave you a list of items to get and the calories for the meal.
(5). Really receptive staff regarding my "gluten" allergy.
(6). Loved the labeling off all the food and allergens listed.

This is what I disliked:
(1). Unlike the Atlanta establishment that has circular tables that you can jump back and forth to choose your items, Genghis is a "buffet" type line and the impatient people behind you rush you through the line and their isn't ample time to make choices. You just feel rushed to get out of people's way. We went at a not too busy time of day. I can imagine how frustrated I would have been if it was at a real busy time.
(2). Our waitress disappeared after we got our drinks. She never came back to check in on us and refill our drinks. However, she did attempt to redeem herself at the end and offered us to go drinks. We literally were in there an hour and never got refills. Staff needs better training on checking in.

Overall, the food was great. We will definitely be going back again. Hopefully, next time the staff will be better trained and I will just plan to get in that line as many times as I want in order to not be rushed.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sandy H
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not spectacular, not bad”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

It took about 45 minutes to be seated because we went on a Sunday after church. Once seated our waitress was very helpful. The serving line can be confusing and overwhelming for a first time visitor. Also, I am not sure how they kept all the food straight at the cooking station, but my party got everything they ordered correctly. I also tried the potstickers and they were good as well. Overall, once the new restaurant crush dies down, I will visit again.

• Visited January 2013
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
“Best build your own meal in town.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been here three times. I have also been to the famous "Tony's" in DC, and Genghis Grill beats Tony's. Don't blame the folks who work there if you go away hungry, cause you fix your own... Best described as, "Ding How !!"

Visited January 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
“No Sevice”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

After we were greeted and waited a few minutes to be seat in a half full resturant at 1:30 in the afternoon. Waited several mintures with no service. I ask the greeted if we could get someone to help us. Waited several more minutes and left. Can't comment on the food because we never got to try it

• Visited January 2013