“Thirteen good reviews does not a good restaurant make.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chin Chin Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 488 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 11, 2014

#2 in Montgomery, I had to try this new listing on Tripadvisor. I haven't seen them listed on prior visits. I really hoped dinner here would be anything approaching the favorable review, bUT IT WASN"T! Like Lorowell's review before me, I found every part of the food to be lacking, and in the case of the Spider Roll, unrecognizable in form or taste.

Net-Net: Much better food at Sushi Cafe or Lek's Tate of Thailand.

So, the strip mall location is convenient. I found the decore to be modern, upbeat, and tasteful. The hostess and service staff were very attentive and service was prompt throughout dinner. My Sweet Tea glass barely got half empty before it was being refilled.
I ordered a Spring Roll appetitizer, a Spider Roll and their Pad Thai dish. The Spring Rolls were small but well cooked, only they had no flavor. I think they might have been vegetable Spring rolls but I hadn't order their vegetable - no flavor.

When you order Spider Roll, you expect a certain appearance and taste. This Spider Roll was not a recognizble. It was built inside out, and was smothered in a pink spicy hot sauce that made it basically inedible. It was perhaps the single worse roll I've ever eaten.
Then we get to the Pad Thai. Had I not taken a bite I would ave given it a 5 on appearance. It was a generous portion pile high and contained many pieces of shrimp and chicken as well as bean sprouts and a topping of crushed peanuts.

The first bite was disappointing as their was no Pad Thai peanut sauce taste. The brown sauce was a generic, tasteless sauce used under many American Chinese dishes. Overpowering, bland, tasteless - I couldn't finish it. I picked out the perfectly cooked chicken pieces and shrimp and I was done.
No even close to a good tasting Pad Thai dish.

I hope they could intern at other MOntgomery sushi or Thai restaurants to learn how to really learn how to cook these dishes as that was the only but most important missing part of my visit.

2  Thank NorthernVAJim

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This place may be average when compared to big city type Asian locales, but taking into account that it's in Montgomery, it's probably the best I've had here. The chicken was nice and tender as it should be. All the dishes we ordered were delicious and fresh. I'll be back.

1  Thank Dio9mm
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This authentic jewel brings excellence to dishes from the far east. Great service; if the chef comes out to ask a question about preferences, don't be surprised. The strip location decries its interior elegance. Sushi? Oh yes!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Wow, I just read the reviews, and I am amazed this restaurant has received such glowing reviews. My husband and I were both very disappointed, as we had heard this was an excellent Asian restaurant. Perhaps it was a bad night, simply an anomaly, but the food we had was just average.

Maybe the specials (which are on the expensive side for an Asian restaurant in a strip mall with no ambience in Montgomery) would have been better, but we chose a couple of Thai dishes. Momtgomery has several good Thai restaurants, and maybe we're spoiled, but the green curry and the basil chicken were only average. The wonton strips we were served as an appetizer were edible, but they were cold, a little greasy, and there was really no reason to eat them.

As mentioned, there is no ambience. The restaurant has a few standard Asian decorations, and it's located in a strip mall. Service was adequate.

We saw no reason to return. The restaurant isn't bad; it just isn't good.

1  Thank Lorowell
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The 4 stars would have been 5 stars had I been reviewing "Chinese Restaurants." For Chinese food, I believe it is great! As a regular restaurant, it was "very good"---I've had better, but I enjoyed it..

Chinese cuisine quite easily gets "one" taste going---everything tastes the same. Not so with Chin Chin. Three of us ate together. I sampled everyone's food and each was outstanding in its own way. I had the Cashew Chicken. One friend had sweet and sour shrimp, and the other had pork or chicken lo mein. The shrimp didn't have any vegetables in it, I would have enjoyed that, but the shrimp was done in tempura batter---large pieces, cooked to perfection.

We ate at lunch, and the cost was $5.70 per meal. We were completely stuffed---the meal comes with soup. My hot and sour soup was wonderful---not as sour as usual. I tried their won ton soups, and I didn't think the broth was seasoned well enough---tasted more like water.

The food came out in record time, and the environment was welcoming. There's a lot to commend this place, although I honestly wouldn't rate it as the #1 restaurant in Montgomery; It's a nice place to get a lunch if you're on the east side of Montgomery. It's about a mile south of East Chase.