“Very historic place”

and up
Full Day Black History Day Trip to Alabama Sites
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We arrived too early to tour but enjoyed having the opportunity to see the home of MLKJr. It is located in downtown.

1  Thank TravellinTexans

Reviewed July 24, 2013

You must do this before Shirley Cherry moves on. She is one of the most inspiring people I have ever met. Her stories send chills up your spine. Her ability to communicate the time period, the events, and the amazing man that Dr King was will keep you on the edge of your seat. I can not say enough about this amazing Docent.

1  Thank Jack E
Reviewed July 21, 2013

"You are unlocking the same door that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr opened every day." That is what the guide said to us as we unlocked the door to the house. It gave me chills. I have lived in this area for 25 years and I never took the time to stop by this museum until last month. While visiting other civil rights museums around the country, I was drawn to the portrayals of Dr. King sitting at his kitchen table in this Montgomery home, talking to God. If there hadn't been a tour or any other information at this museum, it would have still been a moving experience to stand in that kitchen on South Jackson Street. Fortunately, we got the additional perk of having our tour led by Ms. Cherry, a retired school teacher and just incredible person. I could spend hours listening to her stories. It's a small place but absolutely worth the visit. Tours start on the hour.

1  Thank displaced88
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Montgomery, Alabama is a remarkable place: the Confederate States of American was founded here and, less than a block away in the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, the American Civil Rights Movement began. Today, with my friend Meredith and her daughter, Anna, I toured the church and its parsonage, which is at 309 Jackson Street. In 1956, local segregationists had bombed that home, where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. , pastor of the church, was living with his wife and children.

A highlight of our tour was the kitchen, a place where Dr. King said he had a religious epiphany, where he felt Christ's presence, which gave him the strength to soldier on. He learned that night to never fear death.

1  Thank Rambling F
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The parsonage museum wasn't open when we were in Montgomery, but I enjoyed seeing it anyway. It was very quiet in the neighborhood, and I felt like Dr. King was swinging on the porch swing, when the wind was making it move. Would love to go back someday and take the tour.