Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
and up
Full Day Black History Day Trip to Alabama Sites
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Riverside, Ca
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Ms. Shirley Cherry is a true treasure! As many many others have noted, she is just the best! I recently visited more well known King sites in Memphis and Atlanta but the Parsonage Museum was my most favorite. Ms. Cherry is a gift for the museum and I am so thankful she was my tour guide. She is an amazing resource of information and has a sincere love for her work. She made each room come alive and told us so many stories, lessons and words of wisdom, both her own and King's. I'll bet she was an amazing teacher during her career because she is still teaching people today. You do not want to miss this tour. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and walked away feeling both inspired and humbled. Keep it up Ms. Cherry because you're amazing. Thank you.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ace624

Montgomery, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Dexter Experience”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I took our guests to Dr. Luther King Center here in Montgomery AL today. We had a great time and found the experience to be out of this world. The entire staff was so awesome; I highly recommend others to do this.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Edwin H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You rock!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

YOU ROCK SHIRLEY CHERRY! She`s the best tour advisor I have ever came across in all my days! She was very informative and comical!

1 Thank T8340
Devizes, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Remarkable people”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The first person we met at the Museum was Chaplain John Summers. He gave us a great deal of his time, and told us so much. A lovely man, and someone who we hope to meet again. And then we met Mrs Shirley Cherry, the Museum’s Tour Director. A one-time teacher, she continued to teach us and was great fun. Someone else who we hope to meet again. You both made our visit so memorable. Thanks from the heart.

Monroe, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Such a moving experience - highly recommended!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Taking this tour was such a moving experience - Shirley Cherry was, as other reviewers noted, the greatest tour guide. She taught us so much, she made us laugh and while we stood in the kitchen where Dr King surrendered his fear of dying to his Higher Power/his God (the God his parents knew) she brought tears to our eyes. Here's hoping every American gets to experience this tour and walk through the rooms this great American Hero lived in while changing the world. We are telling everyone we know to make it down to Montgomery for this tour. Also want to note that Shirley accommodated us with a quick version of the tour b/c we had puppies in our camper. Oh and there is ample parking in the back for RV’s.