“Moved to tears at this site - a must-see”

Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
Book In Advance
More Info
$25.00*
and up
Mystery Tour in Montgomery AL
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Moved to tears at this site - a must-see”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

After visiting the Rosa Parks Museum, I went to the Dexter Avenue Church where Dr. King was pastor during the 1950's and then went to the Parsonage - his home from 1954-1960. On Saturday, the museum is only open from 9AM-2PM and I arrived at 1:45PM. the ladies in the gift shop agreed to give me a tour as long as I helped turn off the lights and lock up (!). I was only too happy to oblige. The killer part of the tour was in the last room of the house: the kitchen - where they played a CD of Dr. King telling a congregation in Chicago about an epiphany he had very early on in the movement. I won't spoil it - - - but there is a box of Kleenex very wisely placed on the kitchen table. It seems as if I wasn't the only one to "lose it" during this part of the tour. The docent who showed me the house was very knowledgeable about which items in the house were and were not there when the King family lived there. G R E A T tour as part of a tour of historic sites in Montgomery.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Lisagmd

Prattville, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Shirley Cherry is the best!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Shirley Cherry gave me and my family a one-on-one tour of the place. (It wasn't planned that way. It was late in the afternoon right before they closed.) Cherry is literally a well-spring of knowledge. She knows the history like the back of her hand and is eager to share all of it. This is definitely worth the trip!

Visited July 2012
4 Thank alicia d
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“If this doesn't merit 5 stars...”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you have the pleasure of touring the Martin Luther King home with Miss Shirley Cherry, consider yourself lucky. She is living history personified. A true wealth of knowledge and information.

I was the only guest on my tour and my only wish would have been for more time, mostly to pick Shirley's brain about the civil rights movement, Dr. King, etc. Her stories were fascinating, her relaying of history, moving.

I was treated like a true VIP. Shirley called her colleague at the Dexter Church, alerting her that I would be over to take the final tour of the day and requesting I be allowed in a few minutes late. I would make it, she said, though the MLK tour may have to be cut short so I could make the 6 block walk. Was I rushed or sweaty when I arrived at the church? No. Why? Because Shirley DROVE ME THERE IN HER OWN CAR! It does not get much better than that.

The MLK home is a great site, full of history; authentic furnishings, period decor, some unpublished photos. Yes, the video could use a little refinement, but it by no means takes away from the experience.

Thank you Shirley! For your appreciation of history and knowledge, yes, but must of all for your kindness. I will never forget you.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Christopher N
Traveling
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Worth $5.00 but..”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The home is interesting only because you are walking where he walked. The pre-tour video really needs help. The audio comes in and out and there are decorative squiggly lines through out the presentation that are suppose to enhance the video but are visually annoying, and they show the same few slides over and over. There is no concrete message or information delivered in the video and the speaker voice is wrong for the interviews. Someone needs to take this on as a project because the video should be a tremendous asset and instead it is a bore and a waste of time.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank TeenaDF
Austin,TX
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Exceptional Visit, great oral history”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Ms. Cherry was our tour guide and this little lady is a force of nature. Started with just my son and I but were eventually joined by 4 ladies.
Park in back, enter through the gift shop. They were a little crowded so didn't take our admission fee then. Watched the video about the parsonage, it was short and OK.
Ms Cherry then shared a few personal stories on people who have visited, including the officer who arrested Rosa Parks and the King family. She really went out of her way to make the stories and visit personal.
She ensures she points out what's original on the house and points out every interesting tidbit - differences in windows before / after the bomb, where things had been painted, sharing accounts from the many people she talked to including someone who delivered groceries to the house, people who were there the night of the bombing, and stories from the family.

She will let someone in the party (me in this case) unlock the door to the parsonage and walk you through all the rooms in the house sharing stories about each room, pointing out authentic artifacts and really imparting a very personal sense of history.
Poor John who helps out seems to be a bit browbeaten, but other than that, I fell in love with Ms. Cherry and how she made the drive to Montgomery worth every mile.

Visited November 2012