Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
and up
Mystery Tour in Montgomery AL
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Reviewed July 6, 2012

It is off the beaten path, but provides great historical context! A touching experience. The tours are on the hour and include a video, talking about pictures, and the actual tour of the house that MLK lived in. The end is touching and humbling. The tour costs 5 dollars per person.

1  Thank martymania85
All reviews
"shirley cherry"
in 126 reviews
"the kitchen"
in 41 reviews
"martin luther king"
in 38 reviews
"the civil rights movement"
in 69 reviews
"amazing tour"
in 9 reviews
"humbling experience"

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I was shocked yet excited that I was the only person there to tour. Perhaps it was the rain that was holding others back. I received a very personal and intimate experience with my guide. She was very informative and sweet-spirited. I thought I knew all there is to know about Dr. King and was pleasantly surprised to learn something new.

2  Thank SpiritofExcellence
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A group of around 20 public high school history teachers and I went on this tour, and every single one of us were beyond touched and moved. Ms. Shirley Cherry is the best tour guide I have ever experienced and had a true gift of making history coming alive. I lived in DC and went to every Smithsonian museum, and have yet to see anything match up to this chilling, amazing, historical, special tour. Beyond thankful for the opportunity to go here, and I know I can speak on behalf of those 20 other teachers who come from a variety of backgrounds, that this is THE must-see of Alabama.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

The MLK home is a great place to see where MLK lived while he was ministering here. The home is still in tact, clean and in it's original state.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 15, 2012

WOW! This is an amazing tour! Ms. Shirley Cherry was our Tour Director. What a fine lady and brilliant woman! When you go to the Dexter Parsonage Museum, you are given a tour of the Martin Luther King Home and an education by Ms. Cherry! We even got homework! As you drive up you park at the rear of the Dexter Parsonage Museum right next to the MLK home and the Garden for Reflection. Parking is free and you enter from the back door of the Dexter Parsonage Museum in the parking lot. Parsonage tour only is $5 for adults and $3 for children (4-12). Combined Admission for Parsonage and Dexter Avenue Baptist Church is $7 Adults and $5 kids. Upon entering, we watched a short film about MLK, the church, the civil rights movement and were able to look at pictures from the period. Then Miss Cherry and her assistant showed us to the house where MLK lived while pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church. We learned about the family and friends as well as history of the Civil Rights movement while he was pastor of the church. It is a very small home with great history. Miss Cherry was very thorough in showing us around the home, explaining original items from the period of time he lived there and changes to the home. She told many stories of the events that happened at the home relating to Civil rights, their family and a great epiphany Martin had in the family kitchen. Depending on your age it is likely you will find many items from your youth that were long forgotten. The tour is at least an hour of time mainly because of the passion Miss Cherry has for teaching everyone about every aspect of the place, the family, the history and her own personal experiences. She really made this tour and we left inspired by such an amazing place but, mostly Miss Cherry. She even gave my kids homework which we are still working on. It is the Ms. Cherry's Character Club. A very exclusive club that takes hard work to be a member. Thank you Ms. Cherry. We were Inspired!!!

8  Thank midwest4