“Well worth a visit when in Montgomery.”

Rosa Parks Library and Museum
Ranked #4 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: This tribute to the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement" honors Rosa Parks, the African-American woman who, in 1955, sparked the civil rights movement by refusing to give her bus seat to a white man. The museum helps visitors relive this tumultuous era with a video, artifacts, historical documents, a lifesize statue of Rosa Parks and a replica of the bus in which she sat that day.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit when in Montgomery.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

We arrived at the museum at about 3:15 PM and although the advertized time of closing is 5:00 PM, we were told that they were closing early and we would not have sufficient time to see both parts of the museum. This was disappointing. So we opted to see the part of the museum that deals with Rosa parks refusing to give up her seat and the subsequent bus boycott and the displays and conducted tour were excellent. The admission price is fair but I would have liked to have seen a senior discount which most attractions have.

Visited April 2014

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great visit with my daughter ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I would highly recommend visiting both adjacent wings of the museum. First the children's wing to understand the historical context leading up to the 1960s. The main museum and the guide were magnificent. My daughter asked many great questions. I learned more than any school textbook. We also drove by Dr King's house which was integral to the story at that time.

Montreal, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“As if there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

This museum was well organized and exhibits clearly presented. It was an experiential learning experience. As others have written, the manner Rosa Parks's arrest was demonstrated in an actual Montgomery bus was very effective.

Visited March 2014
Montgomery, Alabama
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My family and I visited when my In-Laws came to town from New York. Have lived here most of my life and never been before. It was really a great experience for us all. We got to see and learn a lot about our history here. Definitely worth it!! I can honestly recommend this to anyone.

Visited September 2013
Ridgeway, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Emotional experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

This museum, situated very close to the actual site where history was made, was an emotional experience.

The exhibits were well presented and done in such a way as to give you the experience of actually being part of the event. To imagine the courage it took from so many people to make change happen was a bit overwhelming, but gratifying. Our tour guide actually lived in Montgomery when segregation was rampant and retold stories from first hand experience.

Don't miss it. I recommend this for people of all ages.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank HarperLeeFan

Been to Rosa Parks Library and Museum? Share your experiences!