WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Rosa Parks Library and Museum

Rosa Parks Library and Museum
Ranked #3 of 63 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: This tribute to the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement" honors Rosa Parks, the African-American woman who, in 1955, sparked the civil rights movement by refusing to give her bus seat to a white man. The museum helps visitors relive this tumultuous era with a video, artifacts, historical documents, a lifesize statue of Rosa Parks and a replica of the bus in which she sat that day.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An essential part of the Montgomery Civil Rights trail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The museum is split into two sections - there is a 'time travel' precursor to the story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which we did not buy a ticket for (as it was $14 for both, and only $7.50 for the section revolving around the 1950s, and we are travelling on a budget). However, the 1950s section was a fascinating experience that allows visitors to relive the story of the boycott through pictures, video, artifacts, and even a re-enactment (of sorts) of the moment that Rosa Parks refused to get up out of her seat.

While the exhibit does address some of the figureheads and issues outside of the Bus Boycott, this part of the museum very much revolves around specifically that protest and if you are very familiar with this moment in history, you may not learn very many new details. That said, the exhibit was highly detailed, very well presented, and the tour guide was great (a Troy University alumni). He made us feel very involved as he took us through the events, frequently addressed any questions we had and made an effort to include the kids in the experience.

I would definitely recommend this museum. It's an intimate and absorbing look at a crucial moment in Civil Rights history and will only take roughly an hour to 90 minutes out of your day. Plus, it's located in the exact spot where Rosa Parks was arrested (marked by a sign on the sidewalk outside) and the corner where the bus was located at the time. Good for adults and kids alike, if you're in Montgomery, this is an important experience that can't be missed.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Kat-Scarlet

Montgomery, Alabama
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not Worth the Effort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not much of a museum or library. Seemed to be a propaganda center instead. Certainly much more interesting places to visit in Montgomery. Old Alabama Town is much more interesting and informative.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank xzebra35
Atlanta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“WOW!! What a great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I absolutely loved this museum! I was in town for a wedding and the bride suggested I come a little early to check out some of the attractions. Well living in Atlanta, I've seen the MLK stuff so this was an opportunity to see the Rosa Parks side of things -- and also, being from Detroit -- I felt a connection because Mrs. Parks moved to Detroit from Montgomery and spent the rest of her years there. This museum did not disappoint! The way her story was narrated and presented -- OMG -- I thought I was right there while it was happening! I mean, I saw Mrs. Parks, the bus driver, people getting on and off the bus, Mrs. Parks quietly saying "No, I will not get up.". The way the whole exhibit is put together is just fabulous -- you can even sit on the bus with Dr. King and the others who took the "Victory Ride". Me describing this museum does not do it justice. You have to see and experience it for yourself -- I'm definitely taking my son the next time I get back there!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Monica S
Wales
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great museum, thoughtfully organised and superbly done. If you go on a saturday, just make sure you remember it closes around 3/4pm

Visited November 2012
2 Thank MissWelshBackpacker
San Jose, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not to be missed, if you're a history/civil rights buff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The way Rosa Parks' arrest is re-enacted is quite amazing. It's hard to describe.... there is a cross section of a city bus and images of the passengers, including Parks, and bus driver are projected into the windows. I'm not doing it justice AT ALL. We were told that Parks has visited the museum & library and was happy with the fact that it addresses the struggles of all blacks, and not just her.

I learned a great deal about her arrest and the resulting boycott. I thought I knew all about it, but I was wrong. You also learn about MLK's part in the boycott, all the obstacles that the city threw at the blacks during their non-violent protest against Parks' arrest, and the ways the black community met and overcame these obstacles.

If you're at all interested in modern history and/or civil rights, this is a don't miss attraction.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Major_Travel_Junky

Been to Rosa Parks Library and Museum? Share your experiences!