“Good Food, Average Service”

Wintzell's Oyster House
Ranked #12 of 482 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Although I live in Montgomery, this was my first time at Wintzell's Oyster House. Since my book club was staying at the Renassiance this particular weekend, we decided to we would try them out. With this being my first time ever eating at Wintzell's, I was looking forward to what they had to offer. They have a pretty extensive menu and although I'd perused it online, I didn't know exactly what I was going to eat. I did know I was going to eat some raw oysters. It would have been ashame to got to a restaurant that is known for it oysters and not give them a try. So me and one of my friends split a dozen oysters, which were at market price. Let me tell, we were kicking ourselves and thinking we could have each eaten a dozen of those oysters without a problem. They were nice and juicy, not huge, but tasty. So I ate my 1/2 dozen quickly. Next time I get a dozen. They were that good. As my entree, I choose the Catfish dinner with steamed broccoli and sweet potato fries. It also had hushpuppies. This was two catfish fillets and it was ample for me. The fish wasn't overcooked and not over battered either. Nice flavor, with a moist, flaky fish, just like I like it. The sides were your typical fair, but the catfish stood out as the star of the plate, rightfully so. The price was reasonable. The decor has all the old signs with the funny saying you may have seen on their website. They had a pretty large bar as well, with several beers on tap. Since we went on a Saturday night we were surprised our wait was only a few minutes for a group of eight. My only issue was our service. We were seated fairly quickly, but once our server took our order she really didn't give us the same attention as she gave other patrons she was serving. Although, Tiffany checked on a us a few times, she was basically missing in action during the majority of our meal and we had to ask another server for our tickets and to get her to pick up the tickets. In fact, on the bottom of our receipts states, if the server fails to tell you the catch of the day, you are to inform the manager and a order of bread pudding would be on them. Well...we told the manager and her response was she was sorry that happened and she pulled the server to the side and that was the end of it. No bread pudding. I didn't want any, but they didn't honor their policy. The food was really good, the service not the worse I have ever had, but definitely not the best either. If you are a oyster lover, make sure to check them out.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We chose to eat here because I love oysters. The resturant was located in the busy downtown area and engagingly decorated with hundreds of fun bumper stickers stuck all over the walls with fun bits of wit and wisdom. We didn't even notice the time passing by so quickly we were having so much fun reading them. Patrons were happy and pleased with the setting and the food was delicious and fresh.
Prices were a tad high but our server was delightfully personable and pleasant. We really enjoyed having her for our server. All in all, I will say that I would definitely eat here again, just make sure to set aside some extra cash for the next time we come.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I ate here with a group of coworkers following conference. I am not a seafood fan. It was really tough finding something that I liked.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Seemed like a mixture of locals and out-of-towners. Long bar. Good draft beer selection (Abita Andygator- my favorite). Menu was varied with land and sea choices. Oysters were smallish but good.Dinner took a while to be served. Parking in the area after 6 pm does not require meter payment.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I ordered the black and blue salad and the lettuce was wilted and the steak was not edible due to all the fat in the meat. The server did not even ask how I wanted my steak cooked! I complained and the manager was very eager to make me happy and did not charge me for the salad.

The fried pickles are great.
Restaurant is attached to the Rennaisance Marriott Hotel which makes it very convenient.