“Fleas - 3 strikes and we left”

Candlewood Suites Montgomery
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Tampa, FL
“Fleas - 3 strikes and we left”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

When we checked in everything seemed very nice at first. The door to our room (Room 230), however, was open when we got to the room. Not just unlocked, but the door was open. Strange but no big deal. After we arrived and were settling in, my feet started itching (I was wearing sandals). I didn't realize what it was until my husband caught and killed a flea that landed on him. We called the front desk and she immediately put us in another room. We asked for a no-pets room and were told that this hotel does not separate rooms as pets/no-pets as they do with smoking/no-smoking. The 4 of us packed up everything we had unpacked, picked up the new keys and headed to the 2nd room. When we got to the 2nd room (Room 103), which was marked "Non-smoking," we found that it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. We went back to the front desk and she again found us another room. The 3rd room (Room 104) looked like someone had been using it -- the lights were on in the bathroom, towels were missing, and one of the beds and pillows looked like someone had been lying on them. By this time it was 9:00pm and, after driving 11 hours with 2 kids, we were not willing to try another room - 3 strikes and we were out of there. The woman at the front desk was extremely polite and courteous throughout. She tried her best to find us an acceptable room. After the 3rd room was a problem, she even called the Holiday Inn Express next door to see if they had any rooms available (and we ultimately stayed there -- see also my review of that wonderful hotel). She was the only one there on what one would assume would be a busy Friday night.

Pros - The hotel seems fairly new. The rooms are equipped with kitchens including stove, full-size refrigerator, sink & microwave. There are also dishes and utensils. There is a mini-store in the lobby with groceries like cereal, candy, frozen meals, etc. The woman at the front desk was very polite.

Cons - If there are pets, there can be fleas. This hotel does not have any no-pet rooms so any room in the hotel could have fleas, as ours did. There is no pool or breakfast. The hotel was understaffed, at least when we were there, which was a Friday night. If there had been at least one other staff person to assist the woman at the front desk, someone could have found an acceptable room without us having to schlep all of our bags from room to room. There also didn't appear to be enough staff or supervision to deal with fleas, properly cleaning rooms after guests smoke in non-smoking rooms, and unoccupied rooms being used for lounging.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank smwhitaker
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montgomery, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear smwhitaker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I appreciate the compliments you have directed towards our front desk staff and the level of service she has provided. Please accept my sincerest apology for the difficulties you had experienced at our hotel and I regret our room accommodations did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed July 11, 2012

In town for a one day meeting and choose this hotel based on other TripAdvisor reviews. Not a disappointment at all. Its on the fringe of the city but that's a plus for me. Suites have everything you need for a pleasant stay. My only suggestion is to pay a little more attention to the bedspreads; ours had a few signs of wear.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank gulfdiver
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was a very nice and clean hotel, I can say I really enjoyed my stay!!!!!!!! I love how they had the kitchen, the gazebo with the bbq grills and dvd player in the room. First time I have ever been to a hotel that has these things included in them. Dvd player at first wouldn't play anything at first, but then the maintenance guy which his name was Kelsey came in and solved the issue for me and was very nice and had good customer service skills. He also told me some things I didn't know about the area and also told me some help information that I wasn't told when I checked in. Only thing about it that I didn't like is that they had NO breakfast nor a pool. But I was told that I was able to go over to Holiday Inn Express to use their pool. I also like they way they had nice items in the rooms for guest such as popcorn, dishwashing liquid and dishwasher packages. I would say next time I'm in the area I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Terrell S
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. By far, It's the best hotel I have stayed at in Alabama. I really love how they had a dvd player and kitchen in the room. It really was very nice and clean. Me and my close friend are planning to come back very soon and sending more business to this hotel. I really also appreciate the kindness and hospitality from two employees that really stood out to us. One was a front desk clerk by the name of mrs. debra and other was a nice young guy who was doing housekeeping can't think of his name. They made our stay more welcome and comfortable. To me that's a key role in making a hotel nice and welcome by having great employees like these two be nothing but nice and kind to guest at a hotel. Keep up the GOOD WORK!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Diamond A
Katherine W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Montgomery, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and let us know that you were pleased with your stay. I will share all your kind comments with them and the rest of our team. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we certainly do hope you come stay with us again in Montgomery. We welcome you back!
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Very nice experience with Candlewood suites in Montgomery. Checkin was hasslefree, staff was friendly and room was clean. The stay was quiet (good) with a Caandlewood Cupboard down stairs for drinks, snacks, frozed dinners, laundry supplies. Most items reasonably prices. Free do it yourself laundry service, Gym and DVDs available at the front desk. The room was above my expectation for the price of the room. I would have expected to pay much more for the quality of this room. WiFi is available and a computer is available downstairs for guest use and printing. However as is the case elsewere, kids and/or adults with nothing better to do, had comprimised the system limiting it's usefulness. Located near restaurants and grocery stores. Great overnight stay for a business trip. I would recommend for business or stays during game weekends (Auburn 30 mins away), however no pool for the kids. Great stay at a great price. I will be staying here in the future when traveling to Montgomery.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank A1A_Parrothead
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This may be one of the cleanest, largest rooms I have stayed in. The hotel is fairly new and we were only here for one night but the room was a very nice size and allowed ourselves and kids (ages 2 & 3) plenty of room to relax and spread out. There is a full kitchen, which we really only utilized to hold and reheat our dinner leftovers and a DVD player that I thought were nice additional touches. You can rent new movies for free from the front desk. We were also given 2 free snack coupons to use at the hotel's little "convenience" store (a nice touch if you get hungry and don't want to leave the hotel or forget something). The rate does not include breakfast but we walked next door to Cracker Barrel and enjoyed it very much! You are located in the shops at Eastchase so there are many other options to choose from as well. The only reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars is that there is no pool. Since our kids are young, we really look forward to hotels with pools as this is a great way for us to wind down our children after an eventful day. There is a patio area that appeared to be very popular! Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hrwelo
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed two nights in this pet-friendly property and found it to be high quality, stylish, comfortable, and clean. It offered more than the standard motel room. It had a large, well-equipped kitchenette with a full-size refrigerator, a classy desk that allowed plenty of room for using your laptop, and a comfortable chair for watching TV. Our only complaint was that there was no ice available to us on arrival. Apparently you have to make your own when you get there, which of course takes a lot of time. We mentioned this to the management, but they blamed it on a local health department regulation, which seemed odd because nearly every lodging establishment has an ice machine for its guests. Other than that, our stay there was first class. We did appreciate them mailing us something that we left in the room. They took care of it quickly and cheerfully and didn't charge us anything to mail it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple