“NICE place and GREAT rates”

Magnolia Inn and Suites
Ranked #50 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Spent one night here on the way to Gulf Shores with family 5/9/10. Had 2 rooms side by side. Both were clean,updated and had very comffortable beds. Only complaint I can find is that both ice machines were out of order. Had to walk to Laquinta that is across parking lot---really no big deal to us. Keep in mind there are 2 Laquintas side by side---front desk was very helpful to direct us to the correct one. We had no complaints with the area. It is right off 65 in a well populated area with plenty of choices for meals and gas fill ups.The breaksfast was fine for us---muffins,fruit,oatmeal,cereals,juices,etc. Didn't try the fix it yourself waffles. Nice area for eating. Overall would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank atlgapr8hd
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Inn and Suites

Reviewed April 22, 2010

We picked this hotel because of it being pet-friendly and because there was no pet-fee. At around $40 a night, it was an excellent value. The overall feel of the hotel was more like a small inn than a major chain hotel. We arrived a little early and the receptionist had to actually "physically" go find us a clean room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Because it is such a small operation, you get more one-on-one attention and actually see the same staff during your entire stay.
For pet owners, the positives would be the pet area and pet friendliness of the hotel overall. The hotel has a designated pet area stocked with doggie bags and a trash can. It was perfect for my chihuahua, but might be a bit of a small area for a larger dog. There is also a larger overgrown patch of grass on the opposite side of the hotel near a fast food restaurant. There were several other guests staying with pets. There were no pet "smells" and we couldn't hear any of the animals at all. I did leave my dog in the room while I went out shopping during the day and while we went to dinner at night, with no problems. The rooms were very clean with contemporary furnishings and decor. We used the free Wi-fi during our entire stay with no problems. I did enjoy the chocolate muffins for breakfast every day. There was plenty of seating in the breakfast area, as most guests didn't stay to eat.
To be fair, there were a few negatives as well. We were in a non-smoking room. However, the first night was miserable due to a strong smoke odor seeping into the room. We were on the third floor, which made taking out the dog a little bit of a journey. There was only the one elevator which you had to also share with staff moving supplies from floor to floor. The only working ice machine was on the first floor, so that was a little inconvenient. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this hotel to a single female traveler. Sometimes I didn't feel that safe taking the dog out at night.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StephanieG877
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We were a little nervous staying at such an inexpensive hotel, but I checked the ratings and they were running a special so we jumped on it. It was really pretty decent. An easy on off from highway. We arrived late and didn't venture out, but the morning breakfast was good and the girl at the desk was friendly and accommodating. The beds were comfortable and we slept great. Free internet and breakfast added to a good value. I would recommend this hotel if you are going through Montgomery and just want something to sleep in that is clean.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ztlsgal
Reviewed April 2, 2010

For the price, this room was fine. It was comfortable, clean enough, and the area felt safe enough. My biggest complaint was the smokiness of the hotel. I requested a non-smoking room, and while the room was non-smoking, the floor wasn't. The doors didn't seal right, so the smoke kept getting in the room.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was supposed to stay at this hotel for 6 night, but due to missing my flight, stayed for 11 nights!

It was the first time that I have stayed in Montgomery, and didnt have a clue as to what to expect or where to stay. Being a travel agent, I have stayed in many hotels over the years, all over the world. Some were good and some were bad. I have to say, this is one of the best ones that I have EVER stayed in (besides the ones in Dubai - which doesnt count as theyre in a league of their own). I usually tend to stay in Hilton group hotels, but went against the grain by staying at this hotel. This was in the same league as those, and we were pleasantly surprised.

We checked in and out with ease. Although, upon check out, one of the rates for one of the nights were incorrect. We pointed out this mistake to the receptionist, who immediately rectified the problem and apologised profusely.

The rooms were of a very high quality. You could see that the rooms had recently been refurbished. We stayed in a Executive Deluxe room. It was well worth paying the little extra per night to upgrade, as not only do you get the fridge and microwave, but the room is a lot larger. There were plenty of space for all our things. We particularly liked the little sofa at the end of the bed. It meant that whilst we were chilling, we didnt have to lounge on the bed.
The room was very clean and well maintained. Considering we were in a 'smoking' room, there wasnt the smokers stench that can come with those room types. If you want the sheets changed, you could have it done daily by simply putting the pre-printed note on the bed. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows soft.
The downside to the room was the TV! There wasnt a wide variety of TV channels like other hotels that Ive stayed in in the US. Anything worth watching we wouldve had to have paid extortionate prices for (eg. a movie was $14.99 + tax).

The staff were super. Nothing was too much for them to do for you. that included the house keeping staff! We initially had problems with the internet connection, and the staff bent over backwards to get the problem rectified. They even gave us a free night due to it! So overall we were satisfied with the way the situation was handled.

This is an excellent hotel for all types of travelers, couple, families and business people alike. The location is great. it is just of South Blvd. There is easy access to I-85, as well as all the shops and restaurants in the area.

Would I stay there again? I sure would!! In fact, I have just called up to book my next week long stay for May! Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Being a travel agent, I will surely be recommending it to clients who would like to stay in the area. I viewed all the other hotels in the area, and none of them came up to par. This hotel is a great choice for the price.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

This hotel more than met my needs for a two night stay. It was well kept, clean, and pretty quiet. Staff were friendly. It is located in an area with quite a few hotels and is at the intersection of I-85 and another road with traffic. It is set well back and I noticed no significant highway noise although my room was on the road side. In rush hour it can be clumsy to make a left turn out of the parking lot. If going downtown it is equally good to make a right to get to the next interstate ramp a mile down rather than getting on at the closest. Continental breakfast was ok, cereal, juice, packaged bagels and muffins, toast.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The hotel is itself is quite acceptable. Friendly front desk and breakfast area employees. I was pleasantly surprised by the room...wasn't quite sure what to expect for such a low rate. Very nicely decorated. A little on the small side, yet we had plenty of room with the amount of furniture in the room. Bed was comfortable enough, just don't care for the small fluffy pillows that many hotels are using now.
This hotel was hard to find. It was was located next to another La Quinta (can't say I've ever seen that before!) It was a good bit off the road and you had to drive through the parking lot of a restaurant to get to the hotel. There did not seem to be an 'official' entrance with sign to this hotel; just to the one beside it.
I didn't care much for the neighborhood...felt a little uneasy about the protection of my vehicle.
I was very pleased with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and the condition and appearance of the hotel, but the location would make me think twice before staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends