“An Excellent Locovore Meal”
Review of True - CLOSED

True
Cuisines: American, French, Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cloverdale Road and Graham Street
Redlands, California
“An Excellent Locovore Meal”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

On a recent visit to Montgomery we looked to on-line reviews and had an excellent meal as a result. I love meals with fresh local food and dishes with a creative twist and this was all of that. The atmosphere was relaxed and pleasant. We got there just as it opened and so we were all alone for awhile before it started to fill up, which was nice.

The bread that came with the meal was thick and heavy and I'd not eaten all day. I had them bring me more, it really hit the spot as a starter. The chicken skins had rave on-line reviews so we tried them. It was a really unique dish. They were thick, relatively hard, salty and had a taste very similar to fried pork skin (which is what I would have guessed it was). My wife ordered the shrimp gnocchi which had Parmesan- Reggiano cheese. The gnocchi was very large, much larger than any gnocchi I've ever seen and it really worked for me. The gnocchi was soft, moist and flavorful. I'm not normally a big fan of gnocchi, or pasta in general, but this is a dish I would order if I went back. My wife, who is a big gnocchi fan, says she likes smaller gnocchi because the smaller pieces pick up more of the sauce per bite. The grilled lamb ribs were excellent. The ribs were meaty and had a bit of a vinegary taste. I'm a huge lamb fan and could eat a whole meal of these. My wife ordered duck with greens and sweet potato, I believe. This was my least favorite of the dishes we had. The duck was a little chewy and not as flavorful as lots of duck I've had in the past. This is a dish I would not order again.

The real gem was the pheasant cooked two ways. It had a buttermilk fried leg and thigh, a poached breast, and a sort of seafood sausage. I've had pheasant many times and it tends to be dry. The pheasant breast was very, very moist, had sort of a sweet taste, I think because of some added sorghum, and was divine. When we had Wesley True, the owner and chef, visit our table, which was a real treat, I asked him how he'd cooked the pheasant breast. He indicated it was cooked sous vide for two hours at something like 200 degrees. The leg and thigh was good, but I'd have traded them in for more breast - not something I would normally say as I always prefer dark meat over white meat. My understanding is that the seafood type sausage was an amalgamation of various types of seafood. I originally thought it was a light sort of veal sausage - very good.

I would love to go back here and try every menu item. This is "Truly" a great restaurant.

Visited January 2014

“Wonderful! ”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Great drinks, great app, great food, great timing and best of all great service. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the team service was great but not intrusive. Highly recommend!

“Truly excellent!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

True is fantastic! I only give it four stars, as opposed to five because I have been twice. The first time was better than the second. I had the filet both times and on the first visit I thought it truly did not get any better in Montgomery, however, the second time I went, my husband and I both got it again and it was not as wonderful as the first time. The atmosphere is excellent, love the location and the drinks. Will definitely go back, soon, but will try fish next time.

• Visited December 2013
Longwood, Florida
“Special treat!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I wanted a place that was special for hubbies graduation! It was lunch during a week day so there were a few other diners, but the place was not crowded! The decor was a pottery barn inspiration! Clean pieces, simple, but very well put together! The menu was simple, but I am so happy there was not more to choose from since I was having a hard time already! My husband ordered chicken fried skin and it was drizzled w/ hot sauce & it had ranch sauce (I think it was buttermilk ranch) so yummy! He ordered steak dish and it was smothered in sauce w/ mash potatoes..it was such a savory dish! All in all this place was great! It is located in the Old Cloverdale Historic area!

Visited December 2013
BIRMINGHAM
“True Duck”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I like duck, and if it’s on a restaurant menu I’ll often lean that way. I’m rarely disappointed (fact is, I’m easy to please). But it wasn’t until I had the duck at True that I realized how refined and far from the garden the duck in those other restaurants has become.

As I ate it seemed that here was duck that someone from the household had shot that morning (in the spirit of Catching Fire making a zillion bucks over the weekend, I’ll say it was the 14 year old eldest daughter of the house, up just before dawn, crunching lightly across the frost). Roasted and sliced over a bed of braised collards with a handful of baby heirloom carrots that her little brother pulled from the garden just before cooking. A dollop of mashed butternut squash and a spoonful of cherry compote that had been put up the previous fall. In the quiet of the softly appointed dining room it was easy to believe we were in that farmhouse at the big family table, rather than a chic restaurant in Montgomery.

When some of my favorite restaurant meals are impressing me with the way the flavors are balanced, I find myself thinking in awe, “How did they do that? How did they know to mix those ingredients in exactly those proportions?” I didn’t feel that way at True. It seemed obvious. Now my fantasy farm fades and I imagine Chef Wesley in the kitchen, the vegetables in front of him (that were, indeed, pulled from a garden that morning), and the duck laid out (which was, in fact, killed that morning not far from Montgomery), cooking and arranging almost without thinking about it. Just paying attention to the food and what it was and where it came from.

If there is a New Southern Cooking in Alabama, following the path that Frank Stitt started on 30 years ago, a way of thinking about food that marries the most iconic ingredients of the rural south with a global sensibility and technique, then this is one of its finest exemplars.

Visited November 2013