“Don't waste your money”

Lawrence, Ks, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've enjoyed many cruises over the years and looked forward to this nice evening as we passed through Montgomery. It was a total disappointment. We arrived early and had a very nice visit with the Captain of the ship. The ship was nicely decorated.

However, once getting underway, the musicians were mediocre, the food was a disaster. I have never eaten such bad food on any cruise. We had the 'stuffed pork' - the stuffing was like a dressing for a turkey (ok?) but the pork was very thin, tough, not hot and I don't know what part of the pig it came from. The veggies lacked a lot and the potatoes were bad. None of the food was hot. We did not finish our meal and several couples around us did not finish the food either and shared that they couldn't eat the food. The dessert 'cake' was NOT the cheesecake we were told, but a muffin with a sweet topping. Muffin was dry, we didn't eat it. Don't let the pictures on the web site of the nice ambiance and beautiful buffet table fool you - there was NO food buffet, it was a served on a plate and an extremely poor quality of food.

The cruise may have been nice (if it were daytime) but there was no skyline or lighted areas along the cruise route for the two hour cruise at night; though it was smooth.

I will never return to the Harriott II ever again, if I get to Montgomery, and would not recommend it to anyone.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank 259don59 M

Marbury, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

To start with the positives, the boat is nice and the ride on the Alabama river was smooth. It's too bad it was dark while we were cruising since there wasn't much of a view. As far as the food is concerned, it's obvious that the food is brought in from somewhere. The only options were chicken and pork and included a salad, vegatable medley, mashed potatoes and cake, beverage was included. I had the chicken and all I can say is that it was very dry and did not have very much flavor, I couldn't even eat it. I don't eat brocholi, so I gave my veggies to my wife. It was a mix of brocholi, carrots and cauliflower. From her description, they were luke warm and very soft and mushy. The potatoes were adequate, but my daughter didn't like them at all. The desert was a piece of cake that had probably the sweetest frosting that I may have even had. My uncle was with us and had to scrape most of it off in order to eat the cake.
SInce my sister has physical limitations, we were seated on the lower deck. There was a duo playing and the music was pretty good, it was probably about the best thing on the cruise. The issue we had was that, combined with the engine noise, it was nearly impossible to have a conversation with others at the table. This brings me to another point. We were a party of nine and they ended up splitting our party between two tables which I thought could have been handled differently.
From what I found out, the cruise for ride only are about $20, the dinner cruise was $40. I can only assume that that dinner was the additional $20, but for the money you could have gone to a restaurant and gotten a much better meal for less, and been able to converse with your party. My wife commented on the way home that you know it's not a good experience when you feel like you need to pick up a pizza on the way home after you've had dinner.
Overall, it was a very unsatisfying experience, and not one that I will probably go on again.

Visited March 2012
21 Thank Ryan F
Orlando, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great View!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We rode the riverboat at night. The meal was good. The deck view was nice. A daytime cruise will give more things to see. The evening cruise was quiet on the top deck and very pretty.

Only thing I would have wanted changed was for the very talented live musician to be outside or turned down to 1/2 the volume.

15 Thank Olemcdon
Montgomery, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Take a Cruise on The Harriet II”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

The best cruise in town is right downtown on the Alabama River behind the old historical train station. Go alone, take a friend or bring the whole gang for a great adventure up the river with live bands, food and drink and memories to last a lifetime. Jam to "Slim Jim" Blues on the top deck under the stars in the crisp night air or kick back, relax and snuggle up to the easy listening band on another deck. Whatever your taste in music and fun, the Harriet II, Riverboat is the place to be when you want to get away, but not too far.

Visited May 2010
14 Thank PamTharp
Oldenburg, Germany
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A great evening on the Alabama River”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

If you are ever on a sunday in Montgomery, AL than you should not miss to join the "Sunday evening blues cruise" with the Harriet II, Paddlewheeler on the Alabama River. For only some bucks a nice journey on calm, beautiful river. Th Harriet II has a fully licensend bar and sancks.
It is a great tour with lot of authentic blues music.

13 Thank Johannes50