“Poor showing”
Review of Michaels Table - CLOSED

Michaels Table
Cuisines: Armenian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: NEW KITCHEN HOURS - NOW OPEN 7 DAYS!: Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Monday through Friday Dinner: 6:00pm - until everyone is fed, Monday through Saturday Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm Menu is on their website.
Austin,TX
“Poor showing”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Went for dinner last night. Right next to Zoe's Kitchen in the shopping plaza.

Made reservations and they called a few minutes after our scheduled arrival to see if we were on our way. Found the place, Waitress gathered up menus and took us to our table, she was great, a pretty blonde lady who was pretty opinionated about the menu (not a bad thing). Got a glass of wine, my son ordered a Roy Rogers. The wine she recommended was good. The hostess/bartender/manager(?) came to the table a few minutes later and wanted to know what a Roy Rogers was... hmm. The bread they brought was very good and a nice start.

We ordered the Nosh plate. The chevre and manchego were fine. we'd ordered fried olives, but they were just regular brined ones. The smoked salmon and soprasetta were good, the pate' was fine. They serve it with warm pita bread, which is an odd choice for a plate like this.

5-10 minutes later, we're less than half way through our appetizer when our mains show up, the waiter takes away our small plates and puts our mains downs. No idea why, but I've never felt more like I was being rushed out of the restaurant.

My son had ordered the filet, it was OK. The egg, potato pancakes, grits and bacon were just too much with it. But what was a sin was the greens. They were crunchy. The waitress saw the look on our faces, I said they were underdone and had him scrape them onto a plate she said they'd wilt them. They came back a few minutes alter, of course they were still crunchy.

My softshell crab was way overbattered. The dirty rice with sausage was not good. Gritty, lumpy, and the sausage tasted sour. Sat like a lump in my stomach for the rest of the night.

They did comp a healthy part of the check and the waitress was great, but this wasn't the experience we were looking for.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank hnewburn

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Slightly disappointed”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

It didn't quite live up to expectations . The soft shell crab was sort of bland. Our server was ok but seemed like he needed more training. It was a hot and stuffy inside. It wasn't a bad experience , just not as good as expected. Deserves another try.

Mobile,AL
“Outstanding Off the Beaten Path Choice”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I joined our adult daughter for dinner at Michael's Table this past Tuesday night. We could not have been more pleased with this choice despite the location on Zelda Road off I-85 that is easy to find by car.
My daughter and I both have significant different food allergies but neither of us had any difficulty ordering because of the knowledge that our server had of the exact food preparation. All three of us ordered off the daily menu specials and we all thought that our entrees were delicious and well prepared. My daughter had the organic baby spinach salad and I had the Salad Espanol and both were delicious.
The service and attention to detail was impeccable.
We ate inside in what we thought was a welcoming and intimate atmosphere. There is also outdoor seating but I think that getting a reservation that is easy and seamless on their web site is prudent.
We all thought Michael's Table is a great upscale dining option in Montgomery that would hold its own in a much larger metro area.

• Visited October 2012
Vermont
“Delicious, innovative, fresh menu and drinks”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I loved this restaurant and wish I lived hear to eat here again. The innovative menu had many delicious options and very unique cocktails. I had the mediterranean plate and a cocktail with jalepenos in it. I took my time dining outside and they were very accommodating (they also weren't busy). I would love to go back!

• Visited August 2012
Alabama
“Good upscale dinning in Montgomery”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Michael's Table is an upscale restaurant that would be considered good in a more food forward part of the country, however in Alabama it really shines. It is small, so make reservations. Slightly eclectic decor but overall very comfortable. The service was excellent, our waiter was very personable and polite. Our party had a good sampling of dishes and everything was in the good to excellent range. We went in July of 2012, final cost $150 for starter/main/dessert (no drinks/tip included in cost) for 4 people. So pricey by Alabama standards but an excellent place to go for special occasions.

The menu changes but this is what we had:
Appetizers
Pot Liquor Soup - essentially collar greens with a few other vegetables. To be honest, I think I make better collard greens, so while it was good I wouldn't get it again.
Gazpacho Soup - cold tomato, cucumber soup. Very refreshing since it is cold (don't be intimidated by cold soup - it is delicious)

Mains
Beef Tamales - this is where the money is! While you may have had tamales at a "mexican restaurant" you haven't tasted anything like these. They are not only beautiful to behold, they have superb flavor and texture.
Beouf de Jour was a HUUUGE rib-eye. Excellent beef flavor, not overwhelmed by heavy seasoning. Very good. The accompanying veggies were slightly disappointing. The thin green beans were a little overcooked while the potato wedges were a little undercooked. But seriously, the beef made up for any veggie issues.
Cup of Crab - it had a different name but that was what it was. I have it on good authority that it was delicious.
Chicken with orange pesto sauce over tortialls - good flavor but the tortillas were a little soggy since they were in the sauce and it tasted more like grapefruit than oranges in the pesto.

Desserts:
Vinegar Custard - absolutely wonderful! Has the crusty sugar top of creme brulee and an amazing but not overpowering creamy vanilla custard with a great texture - not too runny.
Chocolate Bread Pudding - an excellent balance of very chocolately but not too sweet. Paired with the tart raspberries and ice cream it is a good way to end the meal.
Bananas Foster - not your traditional BFs but delicious in it's own way. The almond boat it's served on really makes the dish.

We will definitely be coming back and trying more of the menu for our next special occasion dinner. I would highly recommend Michael's Table to anyone. Let's face it, for the most part The South is a cultural wasteland of good food/restaurants, so MTs is a nice change of pace.

• Visited July 2012