“Moving Memorial”

and up
Full Day Black History Day Trip to Alabama Sites
Ranked #11 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: The names of 40 people killed in the battle for civil rights between 1954, when the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed segregation, and 1968, the year of the assassination of Martin Luther King, are embedded forever in this round, flat, granite sculpture. Water flows gently over the surface of the inspiring memorial, designed by Maya Lin, who also created the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Moving Memorial”
Reviewed May 9, 2003

I passed through Montgomery on business recently and made a point to visit the Civil Rights Memorial. As one who has seen little of the South, but who has always been interested in current events, I was moved far more than expected by visiting the Memorial. To imagine the pain, suffering and high emotions during the sixties is almost incomprehensible.As I walked away, I picked up a brochure and inside showed a hand touching the wall with the water running over it. It was exactly what I had done, and the water put me in mind of the blood that had been shed over so many years of suffering.I would hope that every parent who passes through Alabama might take their children to see this Memorial, to make a simple connection that might draw their thoughts back to it later in life. We have enough hatred in our world.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Civil Rights Memorial? Share your experiences!