“Average”

Hank Williams Museum
Ranked #14 of 73 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, AL is a favorite destination for music fans. He is a treasure to the City of Montgomery and the State of Alabama, and we are paying tribute to the life and accomplishments of this magnificent legend whose name survives in a way that is unique in the history of Music. It is amazing after so many years that there are still things to be said...song to be sung. Year by year since Hank's death in 1953, the real impact his songs made on American Music becomes more evident. His lifelong fans continue, and new admirers are added with each generation. Hank Williams crowded a lot of living into twenty-nine years. It is safe to say, perhaps Hank Williams said all he had to say. We are proud to say that all of the artifacts are authentic. Exhibits include the 1952 Cadillac in which he died, 17 stage suits including Nudie , custom made boots, cowboy hats, tie collection, furniture, portraits, records, horse saddle, piano,awards, rare photos, family history and personal film footage. Experience the history of the first country music superstar and see how Hank Williams transformed country music and sowed the seeds of what was to become American Music, blues, rockabilly and even rock and roll.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pros - This small museum had some treasures like Hank's 1952 Cadillac and his death certificate.

Cons- You can't take any pictures at all. Cell phones have to be hidden away. They only have a private restroom. I asked to use the restroom after my husband and I looked at all of the memorabilia.The lady that took my money told me that I can probably find a restroom in a store downtown somewhere. They need to properly advertise that. I would not have paid the admission price and put any money in the donation jar if I would have known.

I would recommend the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville instead. It is a first-class establishment where a paying customer can enjoy all the amenities.

6  Thank KJazz11

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I guess it is worth it to stop in, if you are in the area, just to see the Cadillac that Hank died in. Otherwise there's not much to see with the exception of a few of his Nudie suits. The manager isn't very friendly and won't let you take pictures. I found this place to be rinky dink and not what you'd expect for the greatest country music legend of all time. Hank deserves more!

3  Thank Charles B
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am a country music fan, but honestly didn't know much about Hank Senior. There's tons of stuff in the very small museum...clothes, houshold items, and even the car he died in. But it was small and dark and honeslty, a bit over priced. But fans of Hank, I imagine, will love it. If you're so-so, I'd say skip it.

1  Thank RoadWarrior0219
Beth P, Owner at Hank Williams Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

The Museum isn't that "Small". Maybe you didn't visit all of the rooms? We consist of 6000sq ft.
Everything is displayed very nicely in glass showcases. Artifacts of this nature need to be in dim lights so, yes it is a bit dim but not at all dark. Considering the amount of artifacts we have on display (and they aren't replicas), and we are in the center of the downtown area where Hank Williams walked and sold peanuts as a young boy, sang on the local radio and wrote most of his greatest hits, we feel the price is reasonable. Thanks for your review. Management

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My family has sung along to Hank Williams songs my entire life. While passing through Montgomery on a road trip we realized there was a museum dedicated to him and decided to stop in! The young gal at the counter was very helpful and explained it was $10 pp because it was privately run and the rent and upkeep was expensive. There was lots of fun souvenirs in the gift shop. We bought CDs, a book written by his daughter and an apron that said "hey good lookin, what ya got cookin"! We spent awhile there, just looking through items and reading information. If you're a fan, it's a worthwhile stop!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm a lifelong musician who has a difficult time with two types of musical expression: rap and country, which have little to do with each other beyond that one minute link. However, I made a pact with a friend born in Ireland, raised in America and who recently passed, that if he'd go with me on a trip from New York to New Orleans for Jazz roots, Satchmo, Cajun and Creole food, I'd gladly go with him through Mississippi and Alabama, stopping to pay homage at the sites most closely associated with Hank Williams: his boyhood home, his gravesite , the studio setting and his gravesite.

This trip was also was his hook to get me listening, while my college buddy got loose on Colt 45' malt , to more than the solid gold type memorable hits of Hank's I knew and liked a bit as a boy. mostly with a hint of crossover compromise sprinkled here and there in those recordings. But there, in that apartment, was the complete collection gathered over a lifetime on 33s and 78s , and I would hear it all over time, at first politely, then later with growing interest.

I couldn't believe Hank's humor and sense of pathos , the irony he loved to find through his lyrics. He's something like a Gershwin leaving us wondering what would have been next had he not died of an accumulation of problems that shouted in his head for too long and then, at 29, whispered "enough", and he was gone, despite another fresh commitment to shake himself free of substance dependence, as if asleep in the back of this car driven by a young virtual stranger.

Here we all encounter and reflect upon all of it as if in a place sacrosanct.The Hank Williams Museum is as critical to the amazing history of Montgomery as are its revered bastions associated with the Civil Rights movement. What a storied town of great character and history and how absorbing a favorite son!

2  Thank preglad

Been to Hank Williams Museum? Share your experiences!