“Probably great for fans!”

Hank Williams Museum
Ranked #15 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, AL is a favorite destination for music fans. He is a treasure to the City of Montgomery and the State of Alabama, and we are paying tribute to the life and accomplishments of this magnificent legend whose name survives in a way that is unique in the history of Music. It is amazing after so many years that there are still things to be said...song to be sung. Year by year since Hank's death in 1953, the real impact his songs made on American Music becomes more evident. His lifelong fans continue, and new admirers are added with each generation. Hank Williams crowded a lot of living into twenty-nine years. It is safe to say, perhaps Hank Williams said all he had to say. We are proud to say that all of the artifacts are authentic. Exhibits include the 1952 Cadillac in which he died, 17 stage suits including Nudie , custom made boots, cowboy hats, tie collection, furniture, portraits, records, horse saddle, piano,awards, rare photos, family history and personal film footage. Experience the history of the first country music superstar and see how Hank Williams transformed country music and sowed the seeds of what was to become American Music, blues, rockabilly and even rock and roll.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Cumming, GA
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Probably great for fans!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am a country music fan, but honestly didn't know much about Hank Senior. There's tons of stuff in the very small museum...clothes, houshold items, and even the car he died in. But it was small and dark and honeslty, a bit over priced. But fans of Hank, I imagine, will love it. If you're so-so, I'd say skip it.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank RoadWarrior0219
Beth P, Owner at Hank Williams Museum, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
The Museum isn't that "Small". Maybe you didn't visit all of the rooms? We consist of 6000sq ft.
Everything is displayed very nicely in glass showcases. Artifacts of this nature need to be in dim lights so, yes it is a bit dim but not at all dark. Considering the amount of artifacts we have on display (and they aren't replicas), and we are in the center of the downtown area where Hank Williams walked and sold peanuts as a young boy, sang on the local radio and wrote most of his greatest hits, we feel the price is reasonable. Thanks for your review. Management

San Francisco
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Heaven hold all my treasures”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My family has sung along to Hank Williams songs my entire life. While passing through Montgomery on a road trip we realized there was a museum dedicated to him and decided to stop in! The young gal at the counter was very helpful and explained it was $10 pp because it was privately run and the rent and upkeep was expensive. There was lots of fun souvenirs in the gift shop. We bought CDs, a book written by his daughter and an apron that said "hey good lookin, what ya got cookin"! We spent awhile there, just looking through items and reading information. If you're a fan, it's a worthwhile stop!

Visited June 2013
Westchester County, New York
521 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 552 helpful votes
“Just not a fan of country music, but there is this one exception”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm a lifelong musician who has a difficult time with two types of musical expression: rap and country, which have little to do with each other beyond that one minute link. However, I made a pact with a friend born in Ireland, raised in America and who recently passed, that if he'd go with me on a trip from New York to New Orleans for Jazz roots, Satchmo, Cajun and Creole food, I'd gladly go with him through Mississippi and Alabama, stopping to pay homage at the sites most closely associated with Hank Williams: his boyhood home, his gravesite , the studio setting and his gravesite.

This trip was also was his hook to get me listening, while my college buddy got loose on Colt 45' malt , to more than the solid gold type memorable hits of Hank's I knew and liked a bit as a boy. mostly with a hint of crossover compromise sprinkled here and there in those recordings. But there, in that apartment, was the complete collection gathered over a lifetime on 33s and 78s , and I would hear it all over time, at first politely, then later with growing interest.

I couldn't believe Hank's humor and sense of pathos , the irony he loved to find through his lyrics. He's something like a Gershwin leaving us wondering what would have been next had he not died of an accumulation of problems that shouted in his head for too long and then, at 29, whispered "enough", and he was gone, despite another fresh commitment to shake himself free of substance dependence, as if asleep in the back of this car driven by a young virtual stranger.

Here we all encounter and reflect upon all of it as if in a place sacrosanct.The Hank Williams Museum is as critical to the amazing history of Montgomery as are its revered bastions associated with the Civil Rights movement. What a storied town of great character and history and how absorbing a favorite son!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank preglad
Austin, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Well Worth a Visit”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This review is biased because I have been a bonafide fan of Hank Williams since I first read his biography as a teenager. I was born in 1953, the same year Ol' Hank died at only age 28. So, on a recent business trip to Alabama, I decided to drive 85 miles south to the state capitol of Montgomery to visit the Hank William Museum. Hank was born in Georgiana, AL, south of Montgomery, but was pretty much raised in Montgomery, where he met and married Audrey, a driving force in his career.

The museum is in the central business district and located in a nicely renovated street. Admission is $10.00 and worth it. Inside you will find a lot of memorabilia and artifacts pertaining to Hank donated by his son Hank Williams Jr and Hank Senior's daughter Lycrecia. The museum is an act of love from the people of Montgomery who are still proud of their native son, years after his death. One of the most interesting things I enjoyed seeing was a binder that had hotel receipts from Hanks stays when out on the road. But by far the centerpiece of the museum is the baby blue, 1952 Cadillac convertible Hank died in on his way to a New Years Eve gig in Canton, Ohio in 1953. This is the car in which he was discovered dead in the back seat at a pit stop in Oak Hill, West Virginia. To actually stare at that car and imagine the pain and suffering the poor man had to endure due to severe spinal problems and overly medicated pills prescribed by a fake, quack doctor was gut wrenching for me.

Lots of Hank's snappy tailored Nudie suits, custom boots, guitars, furniture from his and Audrey's house out on Franklin Road in Nashville and priceless photographs. The curator is a wonderful and knowledgeable woman who is happy to answer any questions and fill in any blanks of Hank's. Oh, and the gift shop is cool also. From the museum I suggest a trip out to Hank's gravesite, also very impressive.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Roostrdude
Fayetteville, Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hank fan”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was a very inexpensive history lesson about one of my favorite country music singers. Even though he died long before I was born I was raised listening to his music and I absolutely fell in love with this museum. Seeing the car made me tear up. This is a must see for any Hank Williams fan and Hank Jr as well. I highly recommend spending some time with Hank and learn about his life.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank anitass_13
Beth P, Manager at Hank Williams Museum, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for the review!

Been to Hank Williams Museum? Share your experiences!