“Lots of history and culture.”

Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church
Book In Advance
More Info
$70.00*
and up
Full Day Black History Day Trip to Alabama Sites
Ranked #2 of 73 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., used the pulpit of this unassuming red brick church to lead the 1955-56 Montgomery bus boycott, which ignited the civil rights movement. Steeped in history, this church, where Dr. King served as pastor from 1954 to 1960, was also the site of many civil rights meetings during that era.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My friends and I were in town and had sunday free and decided to make our way to the Dexter Avenue church. It ended up being a great experience. The music was wonderful and the crowd was inviting. We had a blast and won't soon forget it. The service was longer than I was used to, but it did not lack for excitement. If you are around Montgomery on a sunday I would go check it out. Lots of history and culture.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

A nice compliment to a tour of King's home nearby. Very interesting mural in the basement which was well explained by our guide. The church was interesting to see, especially for anyone interested in the life and times of King. The tour was not rushed and all questions were answered. The guide was friendly and informative. There's not a lot to see here but it's a nice site and worth your time. Don't miss the parsonage tour on Jackson street. That's a real highlight.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

was surprised at how few members were in attendance but I really enjoyed the service. None of that new gospel. We were greeted with smiles and hand shakes. I was a little disappointed we were not able to take photo down stairs but I understood (copy rights)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had a very nice tour of this location. It was good to be at such an important place regarding the struggle for voting rights in the South. The visit does not take long.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

How things have change in the American south, the history is all over downtown Montgomery and this church for sure, well kept and lots of things to see.